Reveal Plugins - DSP for Audeze Headphones.
Feb 4, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #257 of 418
Anyway free way to use this audeze reveal with tidal?

Help appreciated, thanks.
There are three ways:
Mac:
Use Soundsource to load Reveal AU plugin ($29), you can route all sounds via Soundsource
Windows:
Use Equalizer APO and load Reveal VST plugin, all sounds can be routed via APO. No ASIO driver support but it is free. APO can sometimes conflict with Netflix App if you watch Netflix on the Windows PC.
Use Jriver Media center, Jriver provide a virtual sound card so you can choose JRiver as the output device. Inside Jriver you can add REveal VST plugin and point Kriver output to your Sound card (ASIO/WASAPI/DS drivers supported) $59, but well worth it as a player and for system wide plugin support. and ease of use.

Alternately you can use Roon which has inbuilt support for Audeze headphone presets, supports Tidal/Qobuz too. Audirvana supports Tidal too and allows Reveal AU plugin

ps: Just saw you wanted 'free' ways. The Equalizer APO on windows will be the only option.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #258 of 418
Now that I actually have a pair of Audeze headphones, I thought I'd revisit this and see if I could get it to work with no luck, again. I guess my computer skills aren't adequate to unzip stuff to the right places or place .dll files where they need to go, or even if I had the right files. I followed all the instructions I could find (unfortunately they were bits and pieces here and there instead of the all the info in one place) and still, nothing. Oh well.

Can someone here tell me what the Reveal thing is supposed to do and how it affects the sound, if it does?

Mar 26, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #259 of 418
Now that I actually have a pair of Audeze headphones, I thought I'd revisit this and see if I could get it to work with no luck, again. I guess my computer skills aren't adequate to unzip stuff to the right places or place .dll files where they need to go, or even if I had the right files. I followed all the instructions I could find (unfortunately they were bits and pieces here and there instead of the all the info in one place) and still, nothing. Oh well.

Can someone here tell me what the Reveal thing is supposed to do and how it affects the sound, if it does?

Our widely popular Reveal plugin applies carefully designed filter presets specific to our headphone models. These provide the producer/engineer with an experience similar to what they would hear from high quality studio reference monitors in an acoustically treated room (but without the pesky room reflections and reverb). We call this the Audeze Target Response. For professional applications, Reveal+ allows mixing and/or mastering in virtually any location while ensuring your work will translate well to most any system.

It's EQ/DSP designed specifically for your model to achieve a target sound. It's noticeable and apparent. (similar to cipher cable isine 20 vs normal cable) The effect it provides depends on the signature of the Audeze model you own (you select your model in the VST).

On windows just get 'equalizer APO', open APO's "configuration editor" click file -> new -> green plus sign -> Plugins -> VST

Click the file button to the right of the blank space next to your VST field and point to your reveal.dll (for example C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins\Reveal.dll if you get the free/legacy pack from Audeze). Click Options/Embed(edit: this hides the apply button for some reason) Open Panel and select your cans, and File->save-> wherever\reveal.txt.

Use the "power on" button to toggle reveal in APO, and enable APO for your sound device in the top right, you may have to run APO's "Configurator" once to enable access to your sound output device.

Deactivate reveal (the power button in APO) when you're not using your Audeze. Active profiles stay active even if you don't run APO ever again.

I use reveal in a schiit eitr magni mimby with isine10's, without Reveal they are simply not as good.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #260 of 418
Our widely popular Reveal plugin applies carefully designed filter presets specific to our headphone models. These provide the producer/engineer with an experience similar to what they would hear from high quality studio reference monitors in an acoustically treated room (but without the pesky room reflections and reverb). We call this the Audeze Target Response. For professional applications, Reveal+ allows mixing and/or mastering in virtually any location while ensuring your work will translate well to most any system.

It's EQ/DSP designed specifically for your model to achieve a target sound. It's noticeable and apparent. (similar to cipher cable isine 20 vs normal cable) The effect it provides depends on the signature of the Audeze model you own (you select your model in the VST).

On windows just get 'equalizer APO', open APO's "configuration editor" click file -> new -> green plus sign -> Plugins -> VST

Click the file button to the right of the blank space next to your VST field and point to your reveal.dll (for example C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins\Reveal.dll if you get the free/legacy pack from Audeze). Click Options/Embed(edit: this hides the apply button for some reason) Open Panel and select your cans, and File->save-> wherever\reveal.txt.

Use the "power on" button to toggle reveal in APO, and enable APO for your sound device in the top right, you may have to run APO's "Configurator" once to enable access to your sound output device.

Deactivate reveal (the power button in APO) when you're not using your Audeze. Active profiles stay active even if you don't run APO ever again.

I use reveal in a schiit eitr magni mimby with isine10's, without Reveal they are simply not as good.

I apparently have no idea what I'm doing. I followed your info to a "T", and the Reveal picture is now there with the gain and mix knobs, and in the upper right corner under "device" it shows the Schiit component but when I turn on the Reveal and adjust the gain or mix knobs, there is no change with the sound. I'm using a Winyl player but I don't get how the music runs through the APO and Reveal AND the Winyl player (it obviously isn't at this point).

Mar 27, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #261 of 418
I apparently have no idea what I'm doing. I followed your info to a "T", and the Reveal picture is now there with the gain and mix knobs, and in the upper right corner under "device" it shows the Schiit component but when I turn on the Reveal and adjust the gain or mix knobs, there is no change with the sound. I'm using a Winyl player but I don't get how the music runs through the APO and Reveal AND the Winyl player (it obviously isn't at this point).

With APO it's running near system level -- without getting too technical your player will not matter, (For example, my browser, spotify, tidal, etc all get the reveal treatment). When I first posted I had the "embed" option enabled, but you miss the "APPLY" button if you imbed the Reveal panel. This is my window:
reveal.PNG

(That curve also gives you an idea of what it's doing for the iSine 10) -- Full "wet" is 100% effect, and "dry" would be flat/no effect. With the Gain knob in the Reveal panel, it should be very apparent if the levels are changing. If you adjust the knobs, you have to apply (or use auto-apply). I found that if I modify settings too often with a source playing, something fails internally and I have to close my player / apo and re-open/initialize it to get it going again, because of this I don't "auto-apply" anymore (and rarely make changes anymore anyway).

If this doesn't work for you, you could try installing just for one player software, I know you tried foobar before but I'm not sure if you found the VST host plugin on their forums to really get it going correctly, I use musicBee and it's a similar process (not automatic) but jriver and winamp may have it baked in so it would be less configuration.

edit: *note my reveal.dll is renamed intentionally so I can tell version/architecture apart.
edit2: ASIO is not altered by the sound subsystem, so will NOT apply reveal.
edit3: unsure if "disable all enhancements" affects APO, other software requires I leave enhancements enabled.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #262 of 418
With APO it's running near system level -- without getting too technical your player will not matter, (For example, my browser, spotify, tidal, etc all get the reveal treatment). When I first posted I had the "embed" option enabled, but you miss the "APPLY" button if you imbed the Reveal panel. This is my window:
reveal.PNG

(That curve also gives you an idea of what it's doing for the iSine 10) -- Full "wet" is 100% effect, and "dry" would be flat/no effect. With the Gain knob in the Reveal panel, it should be very apparent if the levels are changing. If you adjust the knobs, you have to apply (or use auto-apply). I found that if I modify settings too often with a source playing, something fails internally and I have to close my player / apo and re-open/initialize it to get it going again, because of this I don't "auto-apply" anymore (and rarely make changes anymore anyway).

If this doesn't work for you, you could try installing just for one player software, I know you tried foobar before but I'm not sure if you found the VST host plugin on their forums to really get it going correctly, I use musicBee and it's a similar process (not automatic) but jriver and winamp may have it baked in so it would be less configuration.

edit: *note my reveal.dll is renamed intentionally so I can tell version/architecture apart.
edit2: ASIO is not altered by the sound subsystem, so will NOT apply reveal.
edit3: unsure if "disable all enhancements" affects APO, other software requires I leave enhancements enabled.

Oh well. The Reveal folks tell me it no longer works with foobar, but even using music from Youtube, still no change. I was able to see and adjust the gain on the panel, and tried auto apply and the other way, but still no change. I just noticed in the VST plugin box, yours has "Reveal64.dll" but mine only has "Reveal.dll and there is no other .dll files in the folder. Hmmm.

Mar 27, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #263 of 418
Oh well. The Reveal folks tell me it no longer works with foobar, but even using music from Youtube, still no change. I was able to see and adjust the gain on the panel, and tried auto apply and the other way, but still no change. I just noticed in the VST plugin box, yours has "Reveal64.dll" but mine only has "Reveal.dll and there is no other .dll files in the folder. Hmmm.
I noted an edit on the post, but I named the reveal dll. I have the legacy and reveal + and the plugins come in 32 bit and 64bit variants, so I just renamed them so I could keep track. You may have issues with APO accessing %programfiles%, you could try putting the reveal.dll in documents\VST for example and see if that changes anything. My true working directory is d:\apps\vst and the dll is the standard legacy version that installed in program files (not program files (x86))

edit:APO requires the 64 bit dll, but it will tell you if you're errantly trying to load the 32bit verison.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #264 of 418
I noted an edit on the post, but I named the reveal dll. I have the legacy and reveal + and the plugins come in 32 bit and 64bit variants, so I just renamed them so I could keep track. You may have issues with APO accessing %programfiles%, you could try putting the reveal.dll in documents\VST for example and see if that changes anything. My true working directory is d:\apps\vst and the dll is the standard legacy version that installed in program files (not program files (x86))

edit:APO requires the 64 bit dll, but it will tell you if you're errantly trying to load the 32bit verison.

First of all, thanks for all your help. I've gotten a lot farther than anything I've tried previously, but I've literally spent several hours with this and it still isn't doing anything so I'm calling it a day regarding this. The headphones sound great as they are so I'll stick with that until I decide to (maybe) try a JRiver player or something else. Thanks again.

Mar 28, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #265 of 418
I don't know if this helps but I actually took the DLLs if I remember correctly and put them in the music programs plugin folder manually. Then pointed the program to it. In my case Jriver but I did the same with foobar I think.

Mar 29, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #266 of 418
Will there be a preset added for the LCD - I3?

Mar 30, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #267 of 418
I'm trying to get Reveal plugin to work with Equalizer APO and Tidal on my system, but I can't get it to work no matter what I try.
When I push the power on button, it turns black, so it should be activated? Is there something I'm missing?
I set the gain to -20db so I can immediately tell the difference when it activates.

Huomautus 2020-03-30 123039.jpg

Huomautus 2020-03-30 123126.jpg

Huomautus 2020-03-30 123159.jpg

Huomautus 2020-03-30 123311.jpg

Mar 31, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #268 of 418
I'm trying to get Reveal plugin to work with Equalizer APO and Tidal on my system, but I can't get it to work no matter what I try.
When I push the power on button, it turns black, so it should be activated? Is there something I'm missing?
I set the gain to -20db so I can immediately tell the difference when it activates.

White is on (like your photo), why is your gain at 0? derp. Did you run APO 'configurator.exe' and enable/install for your bifrost in that window?

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #269 of 418
White is on (like your photo), why is your gain at 0? derp. Did you run APO 'configurator.exe' and enable/install for your bifrost in that window?

Turns out I needed to disable Tidal's 'Use Exclusive Mode' setting to get it working.
Playing with gain settings made it obvious. The DSP effect itself is quite subtle, at first I didn't even notice the difference.
I think I prefer my MX4s au naturel, though.

Apr 7, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #270 of 418
ok---might be a dumb question. Does Reveal work with iPhones? I don't use a computer to listen. Currently my Android phone and a Dac, but I was thinking of switching to an iPhone of Reveal works with it. I have a LCD i3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back