Return to Head-Fi #3
Jun 9, 2010 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

utdeep

Headphoneus Supremus
All,

I've been a member of head-fi for almost a decade now.  I love it.  I buy and sell gear here.  I've been burned by people raving about the latest and greatest headphones (D-66 eggos anyone?).  I've also enjoyed more audio bliss by getting feedback from my friends on the forums.

There has always been a trend to my membership.  I read through the posts to find out what the most intriguing headphones and amps are.  I go through a two month period of buying and selling as much gear as I can.  After that, I take a three year break before I go through the cycle again.  I may have more disposable income during every cycle, but I still binge and sell before I quit :)

I have a few rules about my time on head-fi:
1) Avoid custom headphones.  Low resale value.  The UE10s made me very depressed, especially when they were outclassed by the universal SE530s that were half their price.
2) Wait until a headphone is at least 6 months old and the head-fi regulars have had a chance to check it out (the ones that can describe the difference in bass between a Ety4p and a Grado 225, people who remember the meta42 and the cmoy).  The hype machine and new members can make even the worst headphones sound like gifts from heaven
3) Do not buy anything that gets updated every few months.  I'm so glad I never bought a Xin amp when he was creating a new version every two weeks 
4) Never buy new headphones or amps... get them used.  It's like getting a discount for letting people burn in equipment!  I love it!
5) Recognize the declining return on investment for high-end headphones.  With rare exceptions, there are few expensive headphones that change the game. However, there may be a sonic signature I haven't tried before.

My last two major buys on this site have been the Ray Samuels Mustang amp and the Yuin PK1.  I still have my trusty Shure SE530s.

Here's my question - if price is no object and rules 1-3 are important to me, what headphones should I buy next?  I wish there was a single forum for all headphones like the good old days...  the site is organized much better, but not for questions like this.

Take care,
-utdeep

Jun 9, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 26
Welcome back. 

As a newer member to both this site and hobby, I've successfully followed a similar formula and have avoided the Flavor Of The Month club to date.  In fact I've gone back in time, so to speak, to sample true references to establish a firm sonic foundation.  I'm enjoying my ER-4P's, my IE8's and now my Grado SR60i's.  Once I determine what's missing, if anything, I'll research the heck out of all that's out there and scour the For Sale forums for my next purchase.  I'm not sure if the "Holy Grail" of IEM's or headphones exists with my budget constraints.  So, my mission is simple, find what sounds best within my budget and enjoy the music.  My wallet is already mad at me.. LOL

Good luck on your quest and enjoy...

Jun 9, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 26
Well, I think it will be hard to adhere to rule #2 if you want a significant departure from your 530's.  The IEM world has undergone quite a boom in the last few months in terms of SQ for BA, MA, dynamic driven phones.  If you like the 530's the SM3 seem to be the phone for you.  I used to have 530's long ago and am now a dynamic driver convert however, can't say if thats the route for you or not.

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #7 of 26
Lol Sonic.  Don't like playing by the rules!  
wink_face.gif
  I dunno, whenever someone throws out the 530's and I read how much they loved them compared to how I heard them I usually don't even want to get involved.

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #8 of 26

Quote:
Lol Sonic.  Don't like playing by the rules!  
wink_face.gif
  I dunno, whenever someone throws out the 530's and I read how much they loved them compared to how I heard them I usually don't even want to get involved.

I get what your saying. The Shure S530's are alright but that's where it stops. After I got my JH13 Pro's...dust, this is Shure SE530...Shure SE530, this is dust.

Jun 9, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 26

I know, that's why I said he NEEDS to hear a pair of JH Audio's flagships. It'll change is perception on custom IEM's greatly.

<

The only thing that sucks about customs is that they have to be made first. That's not free. I want my friend at work to listen to my triplefi customs but since they are custom he can't. Most people wanto hear something before taking a plunge like that. Imwould love to see what the jh customs are all about. Until there is a way that I can hear them before buying then there's no chance of me plinking down that kind of money on something that might not like at all. Ten what do you do with em? Sell them for a lot less than you paid?

Jun 9, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 26
Ha!  JH13 or JH16.  Lord knows that I feel compelled to buy one.  I almost did before I heard about the new one with the amp built in.  If any device was going to put the fear of custom headphones back into my bones, that would be it.  I know universals would be large, but a JH16 universal would be nice.  Anyway, JHAudio breaks another one of my rules - updates come way too fast.

The SM3 sounds good.

Anaxilus, I "hear" where you are coming from.  Different  'phones for different folks :)  I still believe that 80% of my enjoyment of headphones came when I first heard the $30 Koss KSC-35s... nothing has wowed me in the same way since.  Someone out there probably still swears by their Eggos.

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #12 of 26
I hope I don't get flamed for this but:

In this hobby, it is easy to assemble together the most expensive pieces of audio equipment and declare that this is the best sounding system because it is the latest and greatest. However, it is not as easy to put together a very musical system that is not a wallet breaker. And that is what I always try to do.

Jun 10, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #13 of 26

Quote:
I hope I don't get flamed for this but:

In this hobby, it is easy to assemble together the most expensive pieces of audio equipment and declare that this is the best sounding system because it is the latest and greatest. However, it is not as easy to put together a very musical system that is not a wallet breaker. And that is what I always try to do.

Sure it is! Clip+ and and some Fischer Audio SBA-01's and most people would be set for a long time.
wink_face.gif

Total cost would be way under $200!

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #14 of 26
If only I had stopped with the ety4p and a minidisc player :) Now that was high-end in 2001!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back