Rethinking My Main Head-fi Setup
Mar 20, 2011 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Inkmo

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, it's been a while.  Like the title says, I'm rethinking what my main setup should be and am kinda getting the upgraditis.  Since I got a full time job, I realized that most of my headphone time happens at work and not at home.  Lately, I've been listening to mp3s from the line out of my work computer through my ATH-AD900.  The AD900 can be driven this way, but this is probably not optimal.  I feel inspired to get some closed cans and upgrade in general - especially since I found out my coworkers can hear me, and I can hear them if they're having a discussion or a phone call.

So, 1. I'm looking for something that isolates somewhat, won't leak, and is all-day comfortable.  Upgrade from the AD900 would be nice, but it seems that closed cans that are better than a decent open can are a tall order.  I don't know - a lot has probably happened while I was away from the forum.  Denon seems to have come up with some pretty sweet offerings, and I'm probably getting one of those AT M50s regardless....

2. I'm thinking about amps and DACs and stuff.  I know very little about them because I've always been able to plug in to my vintage receiver instead.  For a while, I thought I might get a Fiio and call it good, but I'm leaning a little more towards putting together something a tad more dedicated.  Still reading the forums...

3. I wonder if I should rethink using the computer as the source.  It's not my computer, so putting in a real soundcard won't be an option.  Is stock line-out good enough?  Perhaps I can get a dedicated source component or use one of my current players.  I have an iPod 5G that I don't use much that is probably good enough for this job.  I've read about the Hifiman players a little.  They intrigue me.  I also still have an old panasonic CD walkman, which appears to have a decent amp chip.

I've been reading the forums and will keep reading for ideas on what to do, but I hope you guys might have some input or ideas - especially on source and can/amp synergy.  If I didn't have to share an office, I'd probably just save up for one of the Stax Lambda setups and get a little CD deck for it.
evil_smiley.gif
  I'm willing to put a little time and money into this one...

Music-wise, I'm all over the board.  Looking for cans that can be all rounders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back