Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Sep 21, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #1,864 of 2,480
That's a big step backward in DACs. (I've owned both of them.)

My advice would be to just wait until you've saved to buy the headphones you want, while hanging onto the Concero.

redface.gif

You really think it's a big step back? Hmm. I felt like the Concero was a small upgrade over my old HRT MSII, but it's hard to know if there would be a bigger difference (to my ears) with better headphones. 

Basically, I feel like I've become more of an "objectivist" (though that term does make me a cringe a little) over the course of my hifi journey, and I'm wondering if the Concero is really necessary. It's more a matter of personal discipline than of funds however. 

I'll probably end up keeping it, but I've been entertaining this thought for a while...

Sep 21, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #1,866 of 2,480
Then buy it, but do not come back whining
smily_headphones1.gif

lol truth

As far as discipline goes, I think keeping it is better than getting an ODAC, deciding I don't like, then getting another DAC. 

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone here is going to tell me that the ODAC is fine. Probably not, right? Ha. I know better than to ask the same question in the ODAC thread 
wink.gif

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #1,867 of 2,480
  I'm considering selling my Concero, buying an ODAC, and putting the difference into new headphones (HE-400 --> ZMF Vibro). 

Someone talk me into or out of it. 

I had the Dragonfly before moving to the Concero, I'd definitely wouldn't sell the Concero to go back to the DF, the Concero was better by some distance and it was difficult to imagine they shared the same ESS9023 DAC chip.

Sep 22, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #1,868 of 2,480
^ That's it.   I spent a lot of time with the Audioquest Dragonfly, the JDS Labs ODAC, and the Stoner Acoustics UD100 - all of which use the ESS9023, but none of them come anywhere close to the Concero, in terms of power management, especially, but also in terms of nearly every desirable sonic trait - transparency, resolution, imaging and separation, etc.

Sep 22, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #1,870 of 2,480
Interesting. How noticeable were the differences between ODAC and Concero? Were they subtle or conspicuous?

It depends on your headphones, and on your perception. As for me, I found Concero HP absolutely perfect match for top-tier IEMs. It drives all hi-end earphones that I have with absolute confidence and gives them enough power. Also, it's almost dead quiet, with black background, necessary for IEMs.

ODAC is nice, but Concero is SUPERB.

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #1,871 of 2,480

lol truth

As far as discipline goes, I think keeping it is better than getting an ODAC, deciding I don't like, then getting another DAC. 

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone here is going to tell me that the ODAC is fine. Probably not, right? Ha. I know better than to ask the same question in the ODAC thread 
wink.gif

You’ll won't like this I’ll give you Head-Fi’s textbook answer for your question to your inquiry:
Buy the ODAC "BEFORE" selling the Concero... and get rid of the one you don’t like. ;¬)

But seriously, maybe auditioning the ODAC in your system and with your ears would be a good way to go (if you happen to know someone who owns one you could borrow).

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #1,872 of 2,480

You’ll won't like this I’ll give you Head-Fi’s textbook answer for your question to your inquiry:
Buy the ODAC "BEFORE" selling the Concero... and get rid of the one you don’t like. ;¬)

But seriously, maybe auditioning the ODAC in your system and with your ears would be a good way to go (if you happen to know someone who owns one you could borrow).

Makes the most sense... I'll keep an eye out for a used one I could sell for little loss if I don't like it. 

Sep 23, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #1,873 of 2,480
Makes the most sense... I'll keep an eye out for a used one I could sell for little loss if I don't like it. 

I have difference exp, comparing odac and concero,both with the teradak linear psu,i could say the odac is very similar to concero,almost identical,would say 95%+
The only advantage of concero is its ability to act as superb usb converter,if you only need to use as standalone dac i think it worth trying odac

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #1,874 of 2,480
I have difference exp, comparing odac and concero,both with the teradak linear psu,i could say the odac is very similar to concero,almost identical,would say 95%+
The only advantage of concero is its ability to act as superb usb converter,if you only need to use as standalone dac i think it worth trying odac

I hear you - when the ODAC is provided with really clean power, it really can sound almost as good as the Concero.  (I have the Teradak PSU and really like it.)  And yes, the Concero makes a great USB-to-SPDIF converter!

Oct 3, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #1,875 of 2,480
ok, last night spent 1 hour moving the RCA (output) cables between 
iFi micro iDSD and Concero HD.
feeding the Lyr 2 (Telefunken tubes) and HE-560.
mainly focused on Audirvana+ delivering 24/96 FLAC and not dsd files, etc.

it was a CLOSE compare and really, can honestly say virtually a dead heat.
no one would really complain much with one of these DACs and not the other.
perhaps only golden ear experts with both DACs in hand would be able to tell them apart consistently?

but a couple deltas did appear, which may match with what/how experts reviewed the Concero HD.

1.  Concero HD puts you 1 step closer to that exact front of the stage.
this makes soundstage appear a bit wider, and also separate instruments a tad more. barely.
For example, in busier rock songs it was a bit easier to pick out bass guitar strings when having more strength.

is that good?  normally for me, yes- love width and detail to instruments.
but in this case maybe the music didn't flow together as smooth overall *in complex parts*.
make no mistake, the iFi micro iDSD DAC delivered tons of detail and separation, but also seemed to meld the fields of the song a bit better.  more cohesive, glued.

2.  Concero HD can appear "hyper exact" detailed, especially in higher treble of guitar strings to me.
but I'm not sure that sounds like reality?
HD portrayed such treble strings a bit with more "ping" or tinge to the pluck.
micro iDSD took a bit away from the ping and you could hear the string vibration element of the tone more.  barely.

Summary:
ignoring the tube rolling element of the Lyr 2, if one owned:
fast, detailed, accurate headphones (HE-560 or HD800) I think the iFi micro iDSD DAC section would lend a bit more of the "cohesive musical" feel to the source
vs.
with a slower or warmer headphone (HD600 or HD650?) the additional separation, and slightly higher treble sparkle of the Concero HD might be a welcome addition.

both stellar products in terms of engineering delivering audible excellence!

---
Edit:  upon another evening listening sessions of RCA cable back and forth,
this time with ALAC rips of some CDs which might not have the best studio mastering, and tracks that are full of layers of music/rock leading to dense sounds:

Concero HD did present a taller soundstage than micro iDSD, for example the drum kit having better placement in space.
(bass drum was heard "lower" and hi hat/cymbals a bit higher).  nice effect.
and
as the songs got more dense, Concero HD detailing was still able to keep buried instruments/sound "in place" and slightly easier to detect.
ie.  repeated cymbal taps kept their location as guitars got layers on, instead of becoming lost in "the (poor?) mix".

last night again was a great pairing of Concero HD feeding Lyr2 --> HE-560 for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back