Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Dec 29, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #1,471 of 2,480
  Ha, now that would be interesting to see MSB make something more affordable.  It does seem a new trend as of late for uber expensive DAC makers creating lower cost units with trickle down tech. 

remember Silicon Graphics? Once upon a time, they were the ONLY 3d graphics option. If you go through the history of the computer revolution, it is full of stories of companies that refuse to "eat their own" , didn't "trickle down" , and no longer exists

Dec 29, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #1,472 of 2,480
  Anyone on the Concero HD saving the last filter it was set to? I want to settle on just one but not a fan of having to carry around an Apple IR remote or a phone with an IR blaster all the time.

If you have a Samsung Galaxy phone with an IR built-in you can change filter settings by using the "WatchOn" app and using the Apple TV remote emulation. I change my filter settings that way, while on the go. It would be nice of the unit to save the settings, but I guess it adds unnecessary cost and complexity.

Dec 29, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #1,473 of 2,480

Awesome. Eagerly waiting so I can upgrade. HD Concero is nice, but I want to upgrade to something that can be a bit more, but pay less than half of the Invicta. The Concero has turned me into a Resonessence fan boy and I would like to upgrade within the family line.

I'm in the same boat. The Concero HD was too expensive imo for a portable DAC, but I would certainly like an Invicta-mini DAC in the future. The Concero has certainly turned me into a fan boy as well.

This little unit has terrific shock factor, when demo'ing audio equipment at stores I end up taking the MBA with the Concero along which makes it nice to demo audio equipment with my own source material. The shock factor comes in when the store owner realise that this little DAC has some audio balls!
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #1,474 of 2,480

If you have a Samsung Galaxy phone with an IR built-in you can change filter settings by using the "WatchOn" app and using the Apple TV remote emulation. I change my filter settings that way, while on the go. It would be nice of the unit to save the settings, but I guess it adds unnecessary cost and complexity.

There's an entire FPGA in there, there is definitely some sort of non volatile memory it can write to/read from, I'm sure they could do it with just a software update.

Dec 29, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #1,475 of 2,480
  There's an entire FPGA in there, there is definitely some sort of non volatile memory it can write to/read from, I'm sure they could do it with just a software update.

I'm sure that FPGA is filled to the brim with those filter algorithms and buffering audio data. The one they used here is one of the smallest FPGAs you can buy on the market, though it does not take much to add a SEEPROM to program preferences, but you would need to fit in the interface logic somewhere. Most of the times you'll use some flash memory that is just big enough to store the FPGA code so technically you could store it in there.

Storing the settings could also be potentially done in the USB interface chip as some of those contain a small processor for custom code, though in this instance it might be stuffed with proprietary jitter reducing code etc. That chip should already have some flash memory to program the USB interface and device settings and might be some user defined options in there.

It depends on which of these devices is used to switch the filter. When they provide firmware updates, I'm not quite sure whether its the USB code or FPGA code that gets updated. Could very well be both, so then a firmware update certainly should do the trick.

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #1,476 of 2,480
Quoting petmac110's post from six days ago...

Howdy!

I'm a recent convert to the Concero, having purchased the original model to replace my old audio-gd DAC3SE. I've included a photo showing the size/scale difference between these two DACs! The Concero is a great DAC, with a bit better detail retrieval than the DAC3SE, but not quite the same tonality. I rate it very highly indeed, especially given the incredibly small form-factor.

I'm using it with a Squeezebox Touch and I initially powered the Concero via the USB socket on the Touch. It seemed to perform fine, but the main downside for me was the need to physically unplug the USB socket from the DAC each time I wanted to switch it off. I leave my Touch powered on permanently, but in stand-by mode with the clock showing on the screen.

The cheapest 'decent' option that I found was the Teradak 9V PSU which now comes with a 5V USB output too. The PSU also includes a 5.5mm OD/2.1mm ID power cable, and a USB 'power-only' cable with data USB piggy-back capabilities (if that makes sense!). The cost was around $60 landed to Australia. I believe there is a slight improvement in bass definition and the noise floor with the Teradak PSU, but it's a closely-run race. It goes to show how decent the regulator stages are on the Concero!

Using the 'power-only' cable means that the Concero automatically reverts to SPDIF input mode, whereas when it was powered via the Touch, I needed to cycle through the input modes via the Apple remote as the Concero would revert to USB input mode each time.

One interesting point to note is that I tested the noise levels from this PSU, as well as a few switchmode USB PSUs including an Apple unit, and a generic unit.

The apple unit was around 80mV noise, and the generic unit was over 200mV! The Teradak noise levels were indistinguishable over background noise levels. I couldn't measure down to microvolt levels though. Sadly I didn't test the USB output of the SB Touch. I will do this in future.

Overall, I'm impressed with this power supply given the quality of the build, the included cables, and the very slight percieved improvement in sound quality. The addition of a switch to power the Concero up and down is also welcomed. :)

I decided to order this PSU - just to get this cable that's included, but I'm sure I'll find good uses for PSU itself, too. 
tongue.gif

They should really consider selling this cable alone.  At the moment, I'm only able to achieve this using my Scotch tape trick with a typical USB Y-cable:

The only other ready-to-use cables that segregate data from power are very expensive, like these:

The KingRex uArt Y USB Cable:  http://www.moon-audio.com/kingrex-uart-y-usb-cable.html

And the even more expensive KingRex uCraft Y USB Cable:  http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/kingrex12/1.html

Thanks for the recommendation, Pete!

Mike

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #1,478 of 2,480
Dec 29, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #1,480 of 2,480

I'm sure that FPGA is filled to the brim with those filter algorithms and buffering audio data. The one they used here is one of the smallest FPGAs you can buy on the market, though it does not take much to add a SEEPROM to program preferences, but you would need to fit in the interface logic somewhere. Most of the times you'll use some flash memory that is just big enough to store the FPGA code so technically you could store it in there.

Storing the settings could also be potentially done in the USB interface chip as some of those contain a small processor for custom code, though in this instance it might be stuffed with proprietary jitter reducing code etc. That chip should already have some flash memory to program the USB interface and device settings and might be some user defined options in there.

It depends on which of these devices is used to switch the filter. When they provide firmware updates, I'm not quite sure whether its the USB code or FPGA code that gets updated. Could very well be both, so then a firmware update certainly should do the trick.

Maybe something could be done within the updater. You choose which filter you want on by default, and upload the firmware and it remains in the device until you upload a different firmware. 

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #1,481 of 2,480
Hey just a reminder for you guys using Windows and Foobar + WASAPI. Make sure to read this foobar for dummies instructions.

http://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/digital/pc-software/foobar-2000-for-dummies/

Changing all the advanced setting and making the buffer times to max or much longer has increased the performance of my Concero (IMO of course). I'm running all of my music off buffered RAM now and increased the hardware buffer to 400ms for WASAPI event, changed the priority levels and set it for "Pro Audio".

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #1,483 of 2,480

I just went to your link and I found it to be much more concise and well organized and generally better than my link. You win.
tongue_smile.gif

Edited the face because it gives off the wrong impression of my mood. I was pleased by your link actually. Haha. One thing though... I can't seem to set the CPU priority to high and have that save, hmm....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back