Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Dec 7, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #1,381 of 2,480
  Hi,
 Resonessence in an earlier post recommended to not set the Concero as the default playback device in Windows. Did you do this?

Thanks

Not even sure how to do that. I changed the advanced setting under the WASAPI plugin within Foobar menu. As per instructions of the dude who posted the recs

Dec 7, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #1,382 of 2,480

Not even sure how to do that. I changed the advanced setting under the WASAPI plugin within Foobar menu. As per instructions of the dude who posted the recs

Set your sound card (or anything but the Concero) as the default playback devices in windows.

In Foobar you have an option to select the desired output device, too. This is where you select the Concero.

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #1,383 of 2,480

Set your sound card (or anything but the Concero) as the default playback devices in windows.

In Foobar you have an option to select the desired output device, too. This is where you select the Concero.

The 2nd part yes. If I didn't know how to do this it would not have been possible for me to use the Concero for the past 7months. LOL. 1st part, why is necessary? Concero is not my default playback device. The soundcard in my computer is the "default"

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #1,384 of 2,480

The 2nd part yes. If I didn't know how to do this it would not have been possible for me to use the Concero for the past 7months. LOL. 1st part, why is necessary? Concero is not my default playback device. The soundcard in my computer is the "default"

RE 1st part: Why necessary? Possibly because the CONCERO manual specifies to select the Concero as the default audio device in Windows . Resonessence subsequently advised here to do this if using WASAPI output. You still can use the concero as the default audio device--it just may or may not sound as good..

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #1,385 of 2,480
  RE 1st part: Why necessary? Possibly because the CONCERO manual specifies to select the Concero as the default audio device in Windows . Resonessence subsequently advised here to do this if using WASAPI output. You still can use the concero as the default audio device--it just may or may not sound as good..

What page of the manual says this?

Edit. Okay so I did it. Set it to default device and also disabled all enhancements, although none were checked to begin with. Not sure if this will improve the sound, but whatever it's done now.

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #1,386 of 2,480
  Hi,
 Resonessence in an earlier post recommended to not set the Concero as the default playback device in Windows. Did you do this?

Thanks

RE 1st part: Why necessary? Possibly because the CONCERO manual specifies to select the Concero as the default audio device in Windows .

???
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #1,387 of 2,480
Okay found this:

http://resonessencelabs.com/invicta/faq/

Clemmaster is right. I disabled Concero as the default device. My soundcard is still the default. Why make me go through this trouble? I hate whatcomfalls

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #1,388 of 2,480
Yes, I am confused as well. I don't understand why a DAC should not be set as the default device for optimum quality... or why the default device matters at all when I just select the Concero as the output device in Foobar. 

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #1,389 of 2,480
  Yes, I am confused as well. I don't understand why a DAC should not be set as the default device for optimum quality... or why the default device matters at all when I just select the Concero as the output device in Foobar. 

Unless you're very knowledgeable about dac software and how that interracts with Windows and Foobar. I would just listen to Resonessence. Those guys know what they're doing. They wrote the firmware and also helped invent the sabre chip so I say just blind trust them and NOT set the Concero as the default device.

btw, are you related to manbearpig?

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #1,390 of 2,480
Unless you're very knowledgeable about dac software and how that interracts with Windows and Foobar. I would just listen to Resonessence. Those guys know what they're doing. They wrote the firmware and also helped invent the sabre chip so I say just blind trust them and NOT set the Concero as the default device.

Well, I use a laptop and don't have the Concero plugged in during most of the day, so I'm pretty sure it's not the default device. I'll have to double check though. It's not a big deal, just seems non-intuitive. 

manbearpig /  manbear were my high school nicknames lol

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #1,391 of 2,480

Yeah-I listened to Resonessence  and WASAPI output sounds better to me when not using the concero as the default playback device in Windows.

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #1,392 of 2,480

What page of the manual says this?

Edit. Okay so I did it. Set it to default device and also disabled all enhancements, although none were checked to begin with. Not sure if this will improve the sound, but whatever it's done now.

Page 17 of CONCERO manual (Version 2.2).

Dec 7, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #1,393 of 2,480
  Okay found this:

http://resonessencelabs.com/invicta/faq/

Clemmaster is right. I disabled Concero as the default device. My soundcard is still the default. Why make me go through this trouble? I hate whatcomfalls

Why the hate? All I did was ask what playback device you used in windows. The manual specifies setting the device to the Concero. In the end I followed the advice from Resonessence to not use the Concero as  default device and switched default device to my soundcard which to my ears sounds better. I did answer your questions but I didn't tell you to do anything.

Dec 7, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #1,394 of 2,480
Looking through the FAQ, the suggestions don't account for activating WASAPI in "exclusive mode, which locks out all other data streams when WASAPI is enabled. Basically, it assumes you're using KS (which doesn't have exclusive mode), and extends the analogy to WASAPI. Of course, if you don't check the box with "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device", you will still get the problem of Windows trying to interfere. AFAIK, however, in exclusive mode, I don't think these things are an issue. After all, all other sounds are locked out. Yet, I can't be sure; I'm only working off practical sense. It'd be best to consult directly with Resonessence.

Dec 8, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #1,395 of 2,480
When using WASAPI with other devices I always set the device to default output and then used WASAPI in Foobar so it gained exclusive control.  Never had a problem and it worked perfectly.  My issue with WASAPI and the Concero wasn't sound quality, it was the fact nothing would play (I'd hit hit play and it would immediately stop again).  It works with ASIO though.  Is there a way for ASIO in Foobar to demand exclusive access and lock out other programs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back