Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Aug 14, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #976 of 2,480
Noticed that you very briefly mentioned the Peachtree DAC*iT in your review and your impressions seemed to be quite positive. Peachtree is releasing a DAC*iTX soon with an upgraded asynchronus 24/192 USB input, would be interesting to see what it can do compared to the Concero, especially since it punches in at under $500.

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #977 of 2,480
Quote:
Noticed that you very briefly mentioned the Peachtree DAC*iT in your review and your impressions seemed to be quite positive. Peachtree is releasing a DAC*iTX soon with an upgraded asynchronus 24/192 USB input, would be interesting to see what it can do compared to the Concero, especially since it punches in at under $500.

Ya I am curious how the Bifrost Ubur/Concero/Dac*iTx go up against each other.  It will be interesting.  The Dac iT sounded pretty good if memory serves so the x should sound pretty good considering they are revamping the usb section of it considerably.  

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #978 of 2,480
Quote:

I think there will be no party. The ESS Sabre ES90182M DAC inside both Concero HD and HP has 384KHz at 32bit with DSD/DXD compatibility: should be far better (and I'm quite sure it is) both for specs and sound presentation. My Concero HP perform deliciously well, full, wonderfully detailed but not cold sound. As written before, its work like a magic. I've no doubt the HD can become a preferable choice to some higher priced desktop DAC in the 1.000 - 2.000 US$ price range. 

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #979 of 2,480
Ok, Concero HP is here with me, my HD800 hasn't arrived yet so i can't test it yet as i don't have a 1/4 adapter for my other headphones.

Aesthetics wise its very solidly built, feels heavy for how small it is, the s/pdif jack rattles a bit, front LED logo is nice, lights up either blue or magenta depending on quality/filters and red if not in use, but since the HP is always in use, the red LED only activates when you plug it in PC for the first time.

impressions to follow tomorrow.

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #980 of 2,480
I think there will be no party. The ESS Sabre ES90182M DAC inside both Concero HD and HP has 384KHz at 32bit with DSD/DXD compatibility: should be far better (and I'm quite sure it is) both for specs and sound presentation. My Concero HP perform deliciously well, full, wonderfully detailed but not cold sound. As written before, its work like a magic. I've no doubt the HD can become a preferable choice to some higher priced desktop DAC in the 1.000 - 2.000 US$ price range. 

Well I think it's more fair to compare it to the original Concero which also has an ES9023 and is more comparable in price.

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #981 of 2,480
I am very interested in the Concero HD. Seems like it is getting lots of good reviews.
But how does it compare to the Teac UD-501 which is at the same price range and also support both DSD and DXD ?
Not sure if anyone has made that comparison.

Also, for a few hundreds more, there are these DACs which also got excellent reviews:
MyTek Stereo192-DSD PreAmp DAC
Benchmark DAC2 D
Chord Chordette MX Series QX DAC
Wyred4Sound DAC-2-DSD

Has anyone with experience of the above? I just want to see they are significantly better in sound than the Concero HD and therefore can justify the higher price point.

thanks so much!

Aug 15, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #982 of 2,480
Quote:
I am very interested in the Concero HD. Seems like it is getting lots of good reviews.
But how does it compare to the Teac UD-501 which is at the same price range and also support both DSD and DXD ?
Not sure if anyone has made that comparison.

Also, for a few hundreds more, there are these DACs which also got excellent reviews:
MyTek Stereo192-DSD PreAmp DAC
Benchmark DAC2 D
Wyred4Sound DAC-2-DSD

Has anyone with experience of the above? I just want to see they are significantly better in sound than the Concero HD and therefore can justify the higher price point.

thanks so much!

Sorry, have yet to hear that Teac. Would be a good comparison, and I will do so if I get the chance.

I'm not sure about your list of DACs - the cheapest of those starts at $1600 which is nearly double the Concero HD. So it's not just "a few hundred more"... the only one from the list I've heard is the MyTek which I didn't like at all. I'd take the Concero HD or even the original Concero over that model. 

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #983 of 2,480
Quote:
Not sure if anyone has made that comparison [...]

You can have a look of Phil post here: post #927

I'm in a business trip and I'm trying the Concero HP with the AKG K3003i IEM, fabulous. I don't miss my fullsize headphones so much!

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #984 of 2,480
Quote:

I have owned the Chord QuteHD and it is the exact same as the QX except for styling.

The QuteHD was really nice, but in my opinion it does not blow away the Concero HD which is 1000 dollars less.
For 1000 dollars more I would expect it to blow away the Concero HD, but it simply doesn't.

In my opinion you would be better off buying the Concero HD and then getting some new headphones or better speakers or even best....more music to listen to !

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #985 of 2,480
Yes that is exactly what I want to justify if the DAC on list worth double of the price of Concero.
Great to see people had tried the Chord HD and the Teac UD-501 and think that the Concero is better sound, and definitely a better buy.

So when you buy the Concero, do you spend extra to buy the Apple remote as well ?

Aug 15, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #987 of 2,480
Quote:
Yes that is exactly what I want to justify if the DAC on list worth double of the price of Concero.
Great to see people had tried the Chord HD and the Teac UD-501 and think that the Concero is better sound, and definitely a better buy.

So when you buy the Concero, do you spend extra to buy the Apple remote as well ?

You could also buy one on amazon for like 18 bucks.

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #988 of 2,480
Quote:

You need it to engage the filters which I always do. IIR is my favorite (the first one). It adds the slightest bit of high-frequency energy but in a pleasing way... and this is with the HD800, go figure. 

Aug 16, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #989 of 2,480
Does anyone find the Concero HP doesn't seem to remember which filter it was on when you turn on your computer?
Only happened once, had it set on the 2nd setting(magneta), turned my laptop on the next day and it went back to blue LED.

Aug 16, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #990 of 2,480
Quote:
Does anyone find the Concero HP doesn't seem to remember which filter it was on when you turn on your computer?
Only happened once, had it set on the 2nd setting(magneta), turned my laptop on the next day and it went back to blue LED.

Yes, I can confirm that every time the Concero HP start in Bit-Perfect mode (blu led). That should be by design at current 2.2 firmware revision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back