reshelling universal IEM vs custom IEM
Dec 30, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #16 of 25

Quote:
I think reshelling any custom JHA, UE or any other kind of custom wouldn't be a bad idea as long as the person doing the reshell knows what they are doing. I'm not sure about Westone customs since they do have a different material than most customs. I had a pair of Livewire Trips remolded and they sound fantastic to me.

For universals it really depends. The only reason I would want to reshell a universal is if I would go add additional drivers via UM to it as many have reported them to be quite good when compared to other customs.

adding additional drivers gets pricey really quickly...UM offered adding three more drivers into each earpiece to make a westone....6 for $482 including reshelling and shipping

Dec 30, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #17 of 25
guys, i always assumed the UE18 had 9 drivers per ear, but the specs from the website said they only contain 6...strange

Dec 30, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #18 of 25
Well I never said they were cheap. UM has to provide 3 additional drivers on each side for a total of 6, tune it properly and use a different crossover and then put all of that into a shell. It definitely isn't cheap but then again neither are customs.

Dec 30, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #19 of 25
I think UM is the way to go if they are checking the frequency response while adding more drivers to each ear. There are cheaper reshelling services, but it seems that people are most satisfied with UM. Let us know buffalo!

Dec 30, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #20 of 25
hmmm..westone 6....couldn't sound too far off from what UM thinks a 6 driver custom should sound like, well guess i gotta save some pretty pennies

Dec 30, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #21 of 25

Quote:
adding additional drivers gets pricey really quickly...UM offered adding three more drivers into each earpiece to make a westone....6 for $482 including reshelling and shipping

and you still gotta add the cost for a cable for the customs and getting impressions
wink_face.gif

Dec 30, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #22 of 25

Quote:
Quote:

and you still gotta add the cost for a cable for the customs and getting impressions
wink_face.gif

gargh! why'd you have to shatter my dreams even more!

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #25 of 25

Quote:
what was so bad about universal iem again?

the triple fi's are uncomfortable/ungainy IMHO because of the housing design, and because of the westone 3's housing shape, I find it really hard to keep a seal while eating or chewing gum (must be something about my jaw muscles when eating/ chewing) also, even more isolation would be nice and supposedly with a better seal/fit the sound improves

Users who are viewing this thread

Back