Requesting your input on M3U playlist support for X3, X5
May 13, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #31 of 84

Rockbox has some problems with hi-res lossless files.

Rockbox has only been implemented on 16bit players so far, so the fact that it converts 24 to 16bit is more of a feature than a problem.
I'm sure if it ever does get implemented on a hi-res player, it will get the best out of it.

May 13, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #32 of 84
ipod classic playlist features would be great. the classic also has similar input hardware to the X5 (wheel and buttons, but no touch screen) so the classic interface seems very appropriate, especially for an initial release.

May 31, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #34 of 84
X5 owner: I'm with most on having the basic functionally as soon as possible, my main requirements would be:
1. Have the ability to create and copy to/from a computer
2. Be able to add / create them on the player
3. Be able to name the playlist
4. Be able to just list the file name without needing a full path to the file within the playlist, maybe have it interface with its internal library
5. It would also be nice to have a dynamic playlist like the iPods smart playlist

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #35 of 84
After receiving the feedback from users here and considering what the devs consider achievable, here's a rough outline of what future M3U support on the X5 may look like:

-Playlists in X5 could reference the method in Rockbox. When new songs are added to a playlist, the system automatically generates a “playlists” folder into which playlist files are stored. Playlist files generated by the X5 would be in m3u8 format.
-Playlists in the “playlists” folder can be viewed in a separate “playlists” menu.
-It is recommended that the “playlists” folder be generated within the internal storage of the X5 (disadvantage being not being able to delete playlists by connecting to the computer).

-Regarding UI operation, we would add an “add to playlist” option to the quick menu in Now Playing (“[+]” icon), which would pop up a dialog prompting addition to an existing or new playlist.
-“Playlists” menu would show in the main menu; upon entering said menu, all playlists generated by the X5 would be shown, along with an “add new playlist” option.
-The X5-generated playlists would be named “playlist1”, “playlist2”, etc. (no naming required or possible)

*When playlists generated on the computer are copied to the player, they may be browsed and played from any folder location in “browse files”, but not added to the media library. M3U and M3U8 files with ANSI or UTF-8 (with or without BOM) codings should be supported.

Please let us know what you think of this plan! :)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 5, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #36 of 84
After receiving the feedback from users here and considering what the devs consider achievable, here's a rough outline of what future M3U support on the X5 may look like:

-Playlists in X5 could reference the method in Rockbox. When new songs are added to a playlist, the system automatically generates a “playlists” folder into which playlist files are stored. Playlist files generated by the X5 would be in m3u8 format.
-Playlists in the “playlists” folder can be viewed in a separate “playlists” menu.
-It is recommended that the “playlists” folder be generated within the internal storage of the X5 (disadvantage being not being able to delete playlists by connecting to the computer).

-Regarding UI operation, we would add an “add to playlist” option to the quick menu in Now Playing (“[+]” icon), which would pop up a dialog prompting addition to an existing or new playlist.
-“Playlists” menu would show in the main menu; upon entering said menu, all playlists generated by the X5 would be shown, along with an “add new playlist” option.
-The X5-generated playlists would be named “playlist1”, “playlist2”, etc. (no naming required or possible)

*When playlists generated on the computer are copied to the player, they may be browsed and played from any folder location in “browse files”, but not added to the media library. M3U and M3U8 files with ANSI or UTF-8 (with or without BOM) codings should be supported.

Please let us know what you think of this plan!
smily_headphones1.gif

To me, you're missing the fundamental "add to playlist" from the browse folder/media library menu, in order to add single files, folders or artist/album etc.. Otherwise the "dynamic" playlist feature is useless (to me, again).
My wish is: go to a folder, start a song -> auto "current playing" playlist is generated. Then go to another folder/media category and enqueue other song(s) to the "current playing" playlist.

Also, the playlist menu should also offer the ability to fully manage every stored playlist: create new, delete, rename and last but not least ability to add/remove single items in a playlist.

Jun 5, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #38 of 84

Please let us know what you think of this plan! :)

Thanks for sharing the developers plans, in my opinion is a good step, but here are a couple of ideas:

About the naming of the playlist, is it possible to use the date? Something like playlist-20140628? I know this a long shoot since I think the X5 doesn't have a clock.

In my opinion, having a playlist menu just for the playlist generated on the player will be confusing. If there is a playlist menu, I (and I think many people) would expect to find all the playlist available there. My proposal is, index all the playlist available so they will be listed in this menu option. I am aware of the current indexing limitations for files (5800), but if this is going to be fixed and the DB is going to be located in the mSD cards then I don't see a reason not to index the playlist. Also, indexing files and indexing playlist can be different processes, to do both indexing in a single process will make it longer and more complicated.

Last but not least, is it possible to have information about the playlist? Like number of songs on it and full playing time of the playlist.

On screen would look like this

Playlist1 (12) (1:05)
Playlist2 (10) (0:56)

That's name of the playlist, number of songs, total time in hours:minutes.

Jun 5, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #39 of 84
To me, you're missing the fundamental "add to playlist" from the browse folder/media library menu, in order to add single files, folders or artist/album etc.. Otherwise the "dynamic" playlist feature is useless (to me, again).
My wish is: go to a folder, start a song -> auto "current playing" playlist is generated. Then go to another folder/media category and enqueue other song(s) to the "current playing" playlist.

Also, the playlist menu should also offer the ability to fully manage every stored playlist: create new, delete, rename and last but not least ability to add/remove single items in a playlist.

I agree the "current playing" playlist is very desirable!

Jun 5, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #40 of 84

This is the way I would like to manage playlists, the "Also" part of Et13 post is important to me.

Jun 5, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #41 of 84

I'm in full agreement with all of the above, but if it's a case of prioritising then I would like to see the enqueue files and folders from the browse menu first.

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #42 of 84

smily_headphones1.gif

This is sounding pretty good to me.

It would definitely be nice if computer-generated playlists can be catalogued to the playlist browser, but if not I guess just storing them in an easy-to-access folder is nearly as good.

Jun 5, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #43 of 84

smily_headphones1.gif

Wow, it is pretty exciting to see that (some) playlist support is finally gonna be developed!
L3000.gif

What you outlined remembers me pretty much of what I suggested in bug #47 for the X3 (except you didn't include options to delete or edit playlists (delete single tracks, rearrange order) and to add tracks outside the 'Now playing' screen). I'm really looking forward to see what your devs manage to accomplish for the next FW version! Of course I would love to see options to add entire folders and category entries (e.g. albums, artists, genres), but I understand it has to be done one step at a time...

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #44 of 84
If FiiO allowed Rockbox to be installed on the X5, then it will make it a very superior player. Maybe FiiO could talk to the Rockbox people as they have a large team of developers.

I have been using Rockbox on my Clip Zip for some time and it's just about perfect.

I understand from my reading that rockbox allows some audible response so one could hear menu choices titles etc.  If I'm not wrong about that, maybe rockbox would be the way to go, unless you could implement that as an optional choice for a FW upgrade.
Meanwhile, thanks for designing a player without the ubiquitous touchscreen, Joe.
Kevin

Jun 14, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #45 of 84
I'd prefer it if playlists were stored on the memory cards, so that we could create them on the computer as well as on the player. Joe, you mention that your engineers have recommended that the Playlists folder be stored in internal memory; what's the reason for this? Would read speed be a factor? Isn't space in the X5's internal memory limited enough as is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back