Requesting your input on M3U playlist support for X3, X5
Sep 24, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #61 of 84
Depends on the software you use. With MediaMonkey it's seamless.

Can you tell me more about how to make this work seamlessly? I need to post about this option in the FW2.20 thread. :)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 24, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #62 of 84
Can you tell me more about how to make this work seamlessly? I need to post about this option in the FW2.20 thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Go to your device in MediaMonkey and go under the "Options" tab and go under playlists and make sure "Force similar paths" is checked. Then sync it and update your media library on your device. You'll find you playlists when you browse your files and there will be a folder named "Playlists". Enjoy :)

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #63 of 84
  Go to your device in MediaMonkey and go under the "Options" tab and go under playlists and make sure "Force similar paths" is checked. Then sync it and update your media library on your device. You'll find you playlists when you browse your files and there will be a folder named "Playlists". Enjoy :)

Further to that - here's a screenshot to display the setup:

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #64 of 84
Hi guys, I played around with foobar a little and may have found a slightly easier method. Only caveats are that you will need the same folder structure on your microSD card in your X3/X5 and on your computer (just the music part), and also be able to install components for foobar.

Step 1: Install the EXTM3U playlist component from here: http://skipyrich.com/wiki/Foobar2000:EXTM3U_playlist_format_plugin

Step 2: Create playlists in foobar like as usual (manually or using the autoplaylist function) and then select the playlist you want to make a file out of. Make sure the playlist is playing (or at least, has its songs shown on the main window).

Step 3: Move your cursor to the top, you should be able to see "File". Click on it, and then click on "Save Playlist as EXTM3U".

Step 4: Rename the playlist (It will name the playlist with whatever song you have highlighted by default) as desired. Save the playlist such that it is just one folder above all your songs (foobar will create relative paths for you if you do this. It will create absolute paths if you save it at other locations.)

Example:
You have songs at the following folders (and each of them have their own subfolders):
C:\Music\Jazz
C:\Music\Rock
C:\Music\Anime

Save the playlist in here:
C:\Music

The playlist now will look like this in NotePad (In between each entry leading to the song location, there will be another line starting with # and have the metadata of the song; this is meant for EXTM3U usage. I hope the X3/X5 will be ok with that):
#EXTM3U
#[song metadata]
Jazz\AlbumA\Song1
#[song metadata]
Jazz\AlbumA\Song2
#[song metadata]
Jazz\AlbumB\Song1
#[song metadata]
Rock\AlbumA\Song1
#[song metadata]
Anime\AlbumA\Song1

Step 5: Copy the playlist over to the X3/X5 and you are done! If you want, you can use FreeFileSync to make things a little easier.

Note: You can also just use foobar to work on the files on the X3/X5 directly, but this means that you will need to drag and drop the files onto the foobar window each time you want to do all these.

Hope this works out (yes, even Japanese characters are showing up fine in Notepad in the sample playlist I made even though it is a m3u file), would love to be able to confirm that this will work on the X3/X5 right now but my paycheck issues are preventing me from getting the X5...

PS: 500th post!

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #65 of 84
Is there a character limit for paths in playlists? I just copied and pasted file paths straight off of my X5 to Notepad and everything else suggested on these forums, but it's saying the files cannot be found after I add the playlist and update my device. As an experiment, I also created a playlist with the same files from the X5's playlist creator on the device. Guess what? The playlist works like that. Any input about this or similar issues would be appreciated. Creating playlists shouldn't be this frustrating. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #66 of 84
  Is there a character limit for paths in playlists? I just copied and pasted file paths straight off of my X5 to Notepad and everything else suggested on these forums, but it's saying the files cannot be found after I add the playlist and update my device. As an experiment, I also created a playlist with the same files from the X5's playlist creator on the device. Guess what? The playlist works like that. Any input about this or similar issues would be appreciated. Creating playlists shouldn't be this frustrating. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Sounds more like the formatting of your playlist file (i.e. path references, etc.) might not be quite right. Can you post the first few entries from the playlist you made externally?

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #67 of 84

Sounds more like the formatting of your playlist file (i.e. path references, etc.) might not be quite right. Can you post the first few entries from the playlist you made externally?

#EXTM3U
Music\Various Artists - Live at Caffè Lena- Music from America's Legendary Coffeehouse (1967-2013) [Disc 1]\07 Greenbriar Boys - Hit Parade of Love.flac
Music\Various Artists - Live at Caffè Lena- Music from America's Legendary Coffeehouse (1967-2013) [Disc 1]\02 Hedy West - Shady Grove.flac
Music\Various Artists - Live at Caffè Lena- Music from America's Legendary Coffeehouse (1967-2013) [Disc 1]\14 Smoke Dawson - Devil's Dream.flac
Music\Various Artists - Live at Caffè Lena- Music from America's Legendary Coffeehouse (1967-2013) [Disc 1]\10 Tom Paxton - Morning Again.flac
Music\Various Artists - Live at Caffè Lena- Music from America's Legendary Coffeehouse (1967-2013) [Disc 2]\02 Jerry Jeff Walker - Mr. Bojangles.flac
Music\Various Artists - Live at Caffè Lena- Music from America's Legendary Coffeehouse (1967-2013) [Disc 1]\01 Guy Carawan - Intro by Lena Spencer-Cripple Creek.flac
Music\Various Artists - Live at Caffè Lena- Music from America's Legendary Coffeehouse (1967-2013) [Disc 1]\08 Mike Seeger - O Death.flac
Music\Various Artists - Live at Caffè Lena- Music from America's Legendary Coffeehouse (1967-2013) [Disc 1]\04 Frank Wakefield and Friends - Will the Circle Be Unbroken.flac
Music\Various Artists - Live at Caffè Lena- Music from America's Legendary Coffeehouse (1967-2013) [Disc 1]\12 Patrick Sky - Reality Is Bad Enough.flac
Music\Various Artists - Live at Caffè Lena- Music from America's Legendary Coffeehouse (1967-2013) [Disc 3]\16 Lena Spencer - Dear Little Cafe.flac
Music\Various Artists - Live at Caffè Lena- Music from America's Legendary Coffeehouse (1967-2013) [Disc 1]\03 Sleepy John Estes - Intro by Lena Spencer-Holy Spirit.flac
Music\Various Artists - Live at Caffè Lena- Music from America's Legendary Coffeehouse (1967-2013) [Disc 1]\15 Utah Phillips - The Green Rolling Hills of West Virginia.flac
Music\Various Artists - Live at Caffè Lena- Music from America's Legendary Coffeehouse (1967-2013) [Disc 2]\01 Dave Van Ronk - Intro by Lena Spencer-Gaslight Rag.flac

The album title is tagged as "Live at Caffè Lena: Music from America's Legendary Coffeehouse (1967-2013) [Disc #]" (However, the ":" is replaced by "-" in the path/folder). At first I thought it was an issue with the ":" and "-", but I have another playlist with that and it works fine. I also want to point out that I have Mediamonkey, but when I create a playlist the way you suggested in this thread it leaves out letters and at least half of the tracks are missing the "Various Artists - ". This is pretty confusing.

Oct 1, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #68 of 84
I'm not sure about this, but it's possible the X5 needs the additional line with the extended info - for example (see bold lines):

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:299,Aaron Neville - Use Me
Music\Aaron Neville\The Tattooed Heart\- 10 - Use Me.flac
#EXTINF:262,Aaron Neville - Beautiful Night
Music\Aaron Neville\The Tattooed Heart\- 07 - Beautiful Night.flac
#EXTINF:153,Amy Winehouse - Me & Mr. Jones
Music\Amy Winehouse\Back To Black\1 - 03 - Me & Mr. Jones.flac
#EXTINF:186,Amy Winehouse - Tears Dry On Their Own
Music\Amy Winehouse\Back To Black\1 - 07 - Tears Dry On Their Own.flac

Of course, if your other working playlists don't have that then please disregard and perhaps try to abbreviate the file path and see if that works

Oct 1, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #69 of 84

If you'e saying the playlist can't be found - then you're right. You have to manually fnd it in folder view. Select it and it should load. Unfortunately it doesn't show up in the "playlists" section.

Oct 1, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #70 of 84

#EXTM3U
Music\Various Artists - Live at Caffè Lena- Music from America's Legendary Coffeehouse (1967-2013) [Disc 1]\07 Greenbriar Boys - Hit Parade of Love.flac

For this to work, I would expect the playlist file to be placed in the folder above Music. If you want to place it in the Music folder, you'll probably have to delete the "Music\" from the beginning of each path or make similar adjustments if it's in any other folder. Note that I don't have an X5 to try this, but this is based on my understanding of how playlists work elsewhere, so I may be wrong....

Oct 1, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #71 of 84
Here's some lines from my test tracks playlist which resides in the root directory of my X5.

#EXTM3U
TF1:\3 Doors Down\Away From the Sun\02 - Away From The Sun.flac
TF1:\10cc\The Very Best Of 10CC\09 - Art For Art's Sake.flac
TF1:\Adele\Live At The Royal Albert Hall\04 - Turning Tables (Live).flac
TF1:\Agnes Obel\Aventine\04 - Aventine.flac
TF1:\Alison Krauss & Union Station\Paper Airplane\02 - Dust Bowl Children.flac
TF1:\Alter Bridge\One Day Remains\06 - Broken Wings.flac
TF1:\Amber Rubarth\Sessions from the 17th Ward\08 - Tundra.flac
TF1:\Amy Winehouse\Back to Black\02 - You Know I'm No Good.flac
TF1:\Angus & Julia Stone\Down The Way\03 - For You.flac
TF1:\Beth Hart\Live At Paradiso\04 - Lifts You Up.flac
TF1:\Breaking Benjamin\Shallow Bay\07 - The Diary Of Jane.flac
TF1:\Christina Perri\Head Or Heart\04 - Human.flac
TF1:\Christopher Tin\Calling All Dawns\01 - Baba Yetu (feat. Soweto Gospel Choir).flac
TF1:\Coldplay\X&Y\07 - Speed Of Sound.flac
TF1:\Diana Krall\The Girl In The Other Room\6 - Love Me Like A Man.flac
TF1:\Dire Straits\The Best Of (Private Investigations)\01 - Sultans Of Swing.flac

Dec 9, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #72 of 84
My brand new X5 doesn't accept playlists made on the computer. I've followed the steps indicated on FiiO's website, added the line «#EXTM3U» on top of the list and saved the list as m3u8 on the root directory of the (128 GB) card. The player shows it in browser mode, begins to read the files, but comments «file not found» with all of them. Then I tried it on the second (128 GB) card, with the same result. I tried to save it as m3u: same result. Then I followed darkarn's advice: «Save as EXTM3U». When I select the playlist on the player and press the o.k. button, the player freezes.

BTW: firmware is 2.23. Everything else works fine, and I'm very happy with the X5.

Dec 9, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #73 of 84
And here's the text from one of my test playlists:

#EXTM3U
#198,Alan Price - I put a Spell on you
Pop\Alan Price\Alan Price - I put a Spell on you ('stereo').mp3
#215,Amboy Dukes - Journey to the Center of the Mind
Pop\Amboy Dukes\Amboy Dukes - Journey to the Center...flac
#393,Aquascape - Sunrise
Pop\Aquascape\Aquascape - Sunrise.mp3
#415,Dead Can Dance - Agape
Pop\Dead Can Dance\DeadCanDance - Agape.flac
#163,Damon Albarn - Kingdom of Doom
Pop\Damon Albarn\Damon Albarn - Kingdom of Doom.mp3
#204,Radiohead - Bishop's Robes
Pop\Radiohead\Radiohead - Bishop's Robes.mp3
#290,Radiohead - Pyramid Song
Pop\Radiohead\Radiohead - Pyramid Song.flac
#361,Ultravox - The Voice
Pop\Ultravox\Ultravox - The Voice.flac
#1385,Van der Graaf Generator - A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers
Pop\Van der Graaf Generator\Van der Graaf ...Lighthouse Keepers.flac

Dec 10, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #74 of 84
  And here's the text from one of my test playlists:

#EXTM3U
#198,Alan Price - I put a Spell on you
Pop\Alan Price\Alan Price - I put a Spell on you ('stereo').mp3
#215,Amboy Dukes - Journey to the Center of the Mind

Not sure what you have used to create the playlist, but it has not included the full path (see Brooko's post above yours).

The simplest way I find is...
1> connect X5 to USB
2> create playlist in Foobar - save as .m3u8
3> edit list in Notepad++ to add #EXTM3U and replace Windows paths with TF1:\ andf TF2:\
4> save in root directory of TF1:\

Dec 10, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #75 of 84
It's Foobar. So you're saying I have to edit each entry of the list?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back