Replacing Shure e4: SE215 or Westone 2?
Jun 2, 2011 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Sebastianbf

100+ Head-Fier
My beloved e4 passed away so I'm looking for a replacement IEM. My budget is $160 more or less.
First of all let me tell you what I'm looking for in my next IEM: I actually liked the e4, but I've always wanted a little more bass and a little less treble while listening to them. I'm not a basshead at all, but I would really like a little more base compared to my e4.
I have been reading very good reviews about the SE215 and I like the removable cable thing. Also I was looking at the Westone 2. People here seem to like them, but I have no idea what to expect in terms of sound signature or SQ since I've never tested any Westone IEM. Giving my budget I would have to go for a used pair on these.
I listen mostly to music like Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, LCD Soundsystem, some electronica, etc.
So.. What do you recommend me? Should I spend the extra $60 and get the Westone or should I go for a new pair of SE215?

Thanks for your time

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 11
I have both the SE215 and UM2 (not westone 2)  and like them both. The UM2 is my favorite, but it cost quite a bit more then the SE215. The UM2 is just better all around (IMHO), fits better, doesn't have the memory wire, and has worked flawlessly for me for many years. I have never had cable problems with any of my headphones except for my Grado's (because of the swivelling ear cups), so, removable cables doesn't count much for me.

I am just a simple user, but this is my opinion. Brad.

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #4 of 11
Thanks Brad for the info. How do you compare bass quantity and quality on both?

Jun 2, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
My beloved e4 passed away so I'm looking for a replacement IEM. My budget is $160 more or less.
First of all let me tell you what I'm looking for in my next IEM: I actually liked the e4, but I've always wanted a little more bass and a little less treble while listening to them. I'm not a basshead at all, but I would really like a little more base compared to my e4.
I have been reading very good reviews about the SE215 and I like the removable cable thing. Also I was looking at the Westone 2. People here seem to like them, but I have no idea what to expect in terms of sound signature or SQ since I've never tested any Westone IEM. Giving my budget I would have to go for a used pair on these.
I listen mostly to music like Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, LCD Soundsystem, some electronica, etc.
So.. What do you recommend me? Should I spend the extra $60 and get the Westone or should I go for a new pair of SE215?

Thanks for your time

Hi.

I've recently bought the SE215 and in terms of bass, if you like both the mid and high bass to be a tad punchy the Shure's are for you but the low bass isn't great but good enough in my opinion. If you haven't already, have a read of my review on the SE215.

Jun 3, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #6 of 11
What about the treble in the SE215?

Westone 2 owners: How would you describe the sound on these?

Jun 3, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #7 of 11
I am not as analytical as others. I think the SE215 has very good sound at all levels. Bass is good for all music styles. Mids and highs come out nicely as well. It is what is often termed a fun IEM. If you are most interesed in choosing SE215 or Westone 2, then it is down to cost. They both do a fine job, but the more expensive one will be better, probably enough better to justify the delta cost. Brad.

Jun 3, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #8 of 11
Thanks Brad for the info.

I know I should expect better overall sq on the westone 2 since they're dual drivers IEMs and the difference in price, but what I want to know is the difference in terms of sound "signature". I want to know for example how does the westone compares in terms of bass, mids and highs to the SE215 or to my e4. Anyone who has tried both?

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #9 of 11
I don't know if this information is still relevant to you, but I just compared a Shure E4c to the se-215, and the E4c were easily superior. The 215 have more bass, but it's not tight and sounds like there's a cheap subwoofer in the room. The 215 also have muted treble. Not just less treble, but heavily dampened... muted treble. They're not actually awful earphones, but they are a downgrade from your E4's.

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #10 of 11
The whole sound of the SE215 while fun did not sound nearly as refined as the Westone 2. Bass was the least important factor to me so needless to say because I do not listen to pop or hip hop much, I kept the Westone 2. The westone 2 has a midrange that is lush and very smooth; I could not give this up for anything the SE215 offered. The Westone 2 is right up there with the SE425 I demoed. SE215 sounds edgy along the upper midrange; I think the smoothness of the Westone 2 could be a trait of armature drivers. I agree with Zida, while they left a good first impression I don't think they beat out any dual armature driver IEMs in detail and so on. It is good for someone who is starting out, I would have a hard time living with the SE215 having heard quite a few armature IEMs as its weaknesses become more obvious with each hearing.

Aug 26, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
The whole sound of the SE215 while fun did not sound nearly as refined as the Westone 2. Bass was the least important factor to me so needless to say because I do not listen to pop or hip hop much, I kept the Westone 2. The westone 2 has a midrange that is lush and very smooth; I could not give this up for anything the SE215 offered. The Westone 2 is right up there with the SE425 I demoed. SE215 sounds edgy along the upper midrange; I think the smoothness of the Westone 2 could be a trait of armature drivers. I agree with Zida, while they left a good first impression I don't think they beat out any dual armature driver IEMs in detail and so on. It is good for someone who is starting out, I would have a hard time living with the SE215 having heard quite a few armature IEMs as its weaknesses become more obvious with each hearing.

X2 I have both also and agree with this assessment. W2s are also more comfortable for extended wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back