Replacing Shure 530 any recommendations
Jul 26, 2011 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Paimen

New Head-Fier
just after 4 years cord from my beloved Shures is showing wearing and I think it will break soon.

Thinking of replacing them with UM3x or UE SF 10 Pro Triple. Is there any other canditates in this price range or which one of those would be better bang for a buck? I'm looking for a warm sounding signature and detachable cord as it seems that is the problem with my phones.

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 12

Quote:
just after 4 years cord from my beloved Shures is showing wearing and I think it will break soon.

Thinking of replacing them with UM3x or UE SF 10 Pro Triple. Is there any other canditates in this price range or which one of those would be better bang for a buck? I'm looking for a warm sounding signature and detachable cord as it seems that is the problem with my phones.

Contact Shure - send them an email with pics.  Explain they are outside the warranty - but you would like to replace them with the 535, and would they be prepared to assist - as the cable issue is a known one.  It's worth a shot - and someone in a similar situation was offered heavily discounted 535's (brand new) for around the USD 250 mark.  The 535 has better highs, much better build and detachable cables.  Worth a shot IMO.

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 12
I just picked up a pair of 530s myself; definitely a fun listen, although I can see how the cabling would be an issue in the long term. I can't speak for the UM3X, but I have a pair of UE TF10s and can give my recommendation for the sound signature. I'm not certain I'd classify it as "warm", exactly, as much as "balanced". The TF10 probably has a little more punch to its bass than the SE530, but at little to no sacrifice in the mids and highs. The TF10 is a nice overall performer, and if you can't get one for extra-cheap on Head-Fi, the retail price on Amazon and similar sites really isn't too bad. I would, however, be wary of fit and cabling issues. I personally like the signature of the TF10, but find it almost unwearable because of its cable and how difficult it is for me to get a fit. I know others have this issue, but I imagine the majority do not. Definitely worth a shot in my opinion. Shame to hear about your 530 though :/

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #4 of 12
Shure CS is one of the reasons I won't own one, the TF.10 being superior is the other one. 

Triple Fi's can be had for 99 on amazon. The low price is discouraging but the TF.10 and the SE530 used to duke it out here once upon a time and the TF10 would take the crown. They sound pretty good with a recable too if you follow the TF.10 appreciation thread.

The Westone UM2 will sound better than the SE530 let alone the UM3X, but it's really hard to ignore the fact that you can get TF10's for 100 bucks.

Jul 26, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
My experience with Shure CS is one of the reasons I won't own one, IMO the TF.10 being superior is the other one. 

Fixed that for you.

I'm complete opposite on both counts.  Have had nothing but great experiences with Shure Customer Service, and I much prefer the Shure sound signature.  TF10 was uncomfortable to wear.  New Shre SE series is supremely comfortable.

Given the OP loved his 530's and wants warm sig with detachable cords - if he can pick up a brand new 535 for under USD 250 (depends on Shure's reaction to a request for replacement out of warranty - at reduced price), then I think that satisfies everything he was looking for.

Jul 26, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #8 of 12
TF10 is superior in some aspects but it doesnt beat the overall fluidity of the SE530 imo. It does get better with cable upgrades (naysayers can shut it)

It's also uncomfortable to wear for hours because of its design, but it is indeed very easy to acquire and quite affordable nowadays

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
TF10 is superior in some aspects but it doesnt beat the overall fluidity of the SE530 imo. It does get better with cable upgrades (naysayers can shut it)

It's also uncomfortable to wear for hours because of its design, but it is indeed very easy to acquire and quite affordable nowadays

I am one to definitely vouch for TF10 upgrades :)

Although Shures scale just as well. The SE530 is a more "audiophile" sound. Everything is presented in a balanced manner just like the TF.10 but it's less aggressive on the ears. I prefer slightly agressive treble but honestly it's a win/win situation. I'm not really a fanboy, I enjoy almost ANY decently built headphone/IEM that is either balanced or analytical in nature.

Yes the TF.10 can be uncomfortable, I know they tried to make them ergonomic and able to fit deep but I can get a little chapped from wearing them for the 5-6 hour stints.

As for the whole Shure CS situation, basically I bought into the old Shure lineup like the E2C and E3C. Both earphones broke within their warranty, but because Amazon.com wasn't a Shure distributor back then I was out of a warranty which really sucked because it's not like I had MORE money as a 17 year old... =(

I'm sure things are possibly better now and don't let that discount how they sound.

But if the OP is willing to try something different, the TF.10 is like an IEM on "attack" mode.

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #10 of 12
If your used to the mids of the shures, try something with some nice mids, like Ortofon eq-7 (which is not technically as good as the shures, i think) or eq-5 (both which have really nice cables) or  EX1000s (which has good and detachable cables). Go for TF10s if you like the price (anything less than $150 is good)

Jul 27, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #11 of 12
The other obvious option is to send the shure iem in for a reshell if it's just the cable.  Of course if it's another reason to justify upgradeitis then thats another matter entirely :)

Jul 27, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
I am one to definitely vouch for TF10 upgrades :)

Although Shures scale just as well. The SE530 is a more "audiophile" sound. Everything is presented in a balanced manner just like the TF.10 but it's less aggressive on the ears. I prefer slightly agressive treble but honestly it's a win/win situation. I'm not really a fanboy, I enjoy almost ANY decently built headphone/IEM that is either balanced or analytical in nature.

Yes the TF.10 can be uncomfortable, I know they tried to make them ergonomic and able to fit deep but I can get a little chapped from wearing them for the 5-6 hour stints.

As for the whole Shure CS situation, basically I bought into the old Shure lineup like the E2C and E3C. Both earphones broke within their warranty, but because Amazon.com wasn't a Shure distributor back then I was out of a warranty which really sucked because it's not like I had MORE money as a 17 year old... =(

I'm sure things are possibly better now and don't let that discount how they sound.

But if the OP is willing to try something different, the TF.10 is like an IEM on "attack" mode.

But TF10s aren't balanced. The Highs are a bit cleaner and more extended but the Shures are much more balanced. I prefer their bass character also. The TF10 is more recessed in the mids than the Shures forward. Quoting a one day a year price on the TF10s that we don't know will ever be repeated is a bit odd. Buying from non dealers is not the manufacturers fault.

I've had the tf10 sf5 and sf3. The sf3 lasted the longest and non as long as my se530 so it's relative. Having the female connector pullout of the earpiece before the pins come loose if not something that should happen so I preferred the Shure build. Kinda luck of the draw and they're all actually fine but it seems your holding a grudge from being a poor 17 year old that made a bad decision of who to buy from. It's OK to prefer the v shaped sig of a TF10 but the OP already likes the sig of his and something quite the opposite seems an odd recommendation. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back