Replacement - value question
Jul 15, 2010 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

skiflyer

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, I'm not trying to make a "what should I buy for $x thread"... apologies if it looks that way.

I've had a pair of Sony MDR EX51 IEM's for over 5 years now. I've been perfectly happy with them given what I use them for (commuting and gym mostly). This was the model before they ruined the cables and put on a pair that self destruct every few months. I need to replace them, they finally died. But, given the $30 I paid for them however long ago it was now I consider them to have been a great value.

I'm willing to spend up to about $50-$75, but not really much more because my usage of these phones borders on abuse. They get soaking wet, jammed in pockets, and otherwise mistreated whenever I have an opportunity.

My questions for discussion are
1) Taking the $30 price point as a base point... do you guys think you get anything from stepping up to $50-$75 range
2) If you'd indulge me personally, same as question #1, but given the fact that the EX51 was good enough for me, and I beat the heck out of my IEMs.

Jul 16, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #3 of 7
The answer to #1 would be yes assuming you care about sound quality. It's not matter of being able to tell the differences but rather whether the differences appeal to you personally. I know people who are perfectly happy listening to 96kbps mp3s with ipod earbuds. They can listen to my home headphone rig and admit that it is a night and day difference.. and go right back to their apple buds.

Good luck with the RE2s. They are very different from your Sony IEMs in sound and certainly wouldn't be my first choice for active use but at least you have 30 days to return them.

Jul 16, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 7
Perhaps I can rephrase for clarity.

iPod earbuds are what, $5 now a days? Spending $20 and getting entry level IEMs, in my opinion, is a world of difference.

Grado SR60's are a phenomenal deal. And stepping up to SR325's was definitely a noticeable difference for me, and was dollar worthy for me. But stepping up to SR80's was a waste for me personally I saw absolutely no reason to buy 80s over 60s, but 325s over 60s makes perfect sense to me.

So what I'm trying to ascertain is if people think the entry level IEMs are significantly improved upon at the $50-$70 range, or if it's a level that may be worth skipping over.

Care to elaborate on the RE2 criticism while I can still cancel/modify the order? If so I'd appreciate it.

Jul 16, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 7
Yes, there are a couple of IEMs (notably in the $60-80 range) that offer phenomenal value for money and are generally closer to top-tier earphones in sound than budget ones. But of course it depends on the particular earphones in question. There are great earphones at any price point.

As for the RE2, there are several issues I have with it. The first is that it just isn't a very balanced earphone in the conventional sense. It rolls off very very early at the bottom - 40Hz is nearly inaudible with it. I like analytical-sounding earphones but the RE2 is something even I would call bass-light. It's pretty bright and somewhat cold-sounding and has slightly unnatural treble but nothing out of the ordinary for $29. What I meant to say was that the Sonys you had are the exact opposite so the RE2s might be a bit of a shock.

Also I wouldn't use them for exercising because of the low isolation, moderate amount of microphonics (cable noise), and less-than-ideal form factor (they aren't too easy to wear over-the-ear). If you read the reviews and still think their sound is something you want to try but want an earphone that's a bit more exercise friendly, I would take a look at the JVC FXC80. But there are lots of other earphones in the $30-40 price bracket worth checking out, depending on the type of sound you're after - the IEM market has exploded in the last year or so with dozens of great options for every budget.

Jul 16, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #6 of 7
Just reading through Joker's review thread (linked in his sig) should point you in a good direction.  He's one of the few around here who have demoed a lot of budget level products and give solid info for a lot of the popular options out there.

Jul 16, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #7 of 7
Yeah I just read Joker's review too... amazingly detailed, have never seen it.

Kinda wishing I would've shelled out for the RE0 now.

Anyway, I'm not too worried, the lack of isolation might bug me because of airplanes, but time will tell. For $29 I can't have made too big a mistake :) And if I don't like them at least now I have a remarkable resource to get details on a next order... that's quite the guide Joker, thanks for putting it together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back