replacement for my dearly departed NE-7M
May 21, 2010 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

xikteny

New Head-Fier
So, I managed to put my NE-7M through both the washer and dryer. They did not survive the trip. That puts me in the market for a new set of IEMs, and I'm in need of some recommendations.
Currently, my source is an un-amped 2G iPod nano. I listen to a wide variety of music. I'm going to be using these while working, so they need to be durable.
As far as the sound I'm looking for, the NE-7M were nice, but I'd like something with a bit more... 'sparkle'. My previous portable 'phones were a set of KSC-75, and I felt like they had a more satisfying top end than the NE-7M.
I guess my budget is around $150; if I can get away with less than that, that'd be cool, though.
Thanks!

May 21, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #2 of 7
RE0, Panasonic HJE900, HF5, ER4P/S and PFE112..........

May 21, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #3 of 7
The Ety 6i has plenty sparkle. At your budget, though, you might be able to lift the ER4 from the FS forums. I haven't heard it, so I can't vouch for it.

There's also the RE0, of course, at well beneath your price cap.

Best pick would probably be the Panasonic HJE900. I got it for around $130, and they have brightness without harshness, and a determined bass presence. They're not as bright as previous ones, however, so if sparkle is *all* you want, you'll want to go another route.

May 21, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 7
When I started out my Head-fi journey one of my first IEM's was the NE-7M and I liked it for bass and it's soundstage but moved on to more detailed IEM's. My current favorite is the Monster Turbine Professional Copper (great balanced sound with lots of treble and midrange detail). But I recently have been testing and preparing a review of the Brainwavz M2 IEM from MP4Nation and have to say if you want solid bass plus a better treble and midrange experience than the NE-7M the M2 may be a good option. It would have more bass than your NE-7M but it also has a very nice midrange and the treble is alot brighter than many of the lower end bass oriented IEM's. What I don't know is if it is available immediately which if you have no IEM at the moment may be a problem. If you have something that can tie you over temporarily I believe MP4Nation is having a prerelease sale on the M2 for $50 which is a bargain for the quality of sound the M2 produces.

Otherwise the RE0 or the HJE900 would probably fit your bill but the bass of the RE0 will be less than what you have grown used to. 

May 21, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #5 of 7
Brainwavz M2 = ViSang R03, which is available from ebay and has been for a while. I wouldn't say that they sparkle but they certainly have more satisfying treble than the NE-7M. Personally I'd go with the HJE900.

May 21, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 7
Good point about ViSang R03, |Joker| I forgot the M2 is just a rebadge. As for which is more sparkly, I will leave that up to you and others who have heard both IEM's. I do prefer the added treble of the Copper's but would not want any more than the Copper as I would find it to be to fatiguing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back