Replacement for Dr. Dre Solo's
Dec 29, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #46 of 69
^Seriously (about bass being quality not quantity.)

I'm not a basshead, but there's good bass in the world and good headphones make the good bass great.  When I was doing my listening tour of Best Buy I was using a Drum n Bass track to test the headphones.   On "Playboys", the deep bass kicks in about 1:12 and you want it to kick, without obscuring the crystalline stuff on top. With Solos, the bass muddied everything.  The Sonys, did a nice job.

Dec 29, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #47 of 69
No...there is nothing wrong with bass heavy headphones if that is what YOU like. The issue is the quality of bass. Car audio example....go to Walmart and grab a crappy Sony explode 15" woofer and throw it on a 1000w amp and play your favorite tunes. Now...grab a Sundown Audio 8" or 10" sub and throw it on the same amp (decent quality amp mind you) and play the same tunes. You are getting just as much bass but the quality is going to be much better. Instead of competing with the music, it compliments it...adds too it, does't take away from it. if all you want is BOOM BOOM BOOM and a little tingle on the side of your face...go grab some Beats and call it a day.

Quote:
Quote:
With headphones you can't "feel the bass" because with a subwoofer, the bass is actually felt, but with headphones, that can only be achieved with some sort of fake vibration. Thing is, HD- 25 is a relatively bassy headphone, the Beats Solo are VERY bassy. TONS OF BASS. The bass is anything but natural on the beats. Good headphones does not = MOAR BAZZSS!!!! Grados are very treble heavy but are still well regarded .

Good headphones for you aren't like that, but for me I like more bass. That doesn't mean my XB500's or even my 750dj's are bad headphones cause they can produce my desired low end. Are you implying the  the reproduction( albbeit emphasised) of the low end is an automatic penalty across the board for everyone? YOu're saying that as an Objective on what is essentially a subjective question.

Dec 29, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #48 of 69
i have the ATH-m50s, i recommend them to people who are looking for clean detailed bass, it doesnt overpower the rest of the music, they present it in a way that adds to the song/music, its quick and natural, that's how i like my bass.

Dec 29, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #49 of 69

Quote:
No...there is nothing wrong with bass heavy headphones if that is what YOU like. The issue is the quality of bass. Car audio example....go to Walmart and grab a crappy Sony explode 15" woofer and throw it on a 1000w amp and play your favorite tunes. Now...grab a Sundown Audio 8" or 10" sub and throw it on the same amp (decent quality amp mind you) and play the same tunes. You are getting just as much bass but the quality is going to be much better. Instead of competing with the music, it compliments it...adds too it, does't take away from it. if all you want is BOOM BOOM BOOM and a little tingle on the side of your face...go grab some Beats and call it a day.

I never said that I want Quantity over Quality. I bought the Shure's for just that and they deliver.

Dec 29, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #50 of 69
To be honest with you, I've really wanted a little more clarity so that the words the singers sing really feel like they are there, not just in the background... I mean bass is nice but... eh... I'll have to try a few pairs on. So far I'll take back my comment on the HD-25 and give them another, more detailed, listen (if I can demo them).

So here:
-Srh750dj
-Sony XB500
-Ath-M50 (I'm still leaning a tad bit towards this... just because of how balanced it is supposed to be... but I want to try it first)
-Hd-25

I think I'll x the Grado out, because I'm still interested in low range. Basically that sums up all the headphones you guys have mentioned... although I am still wondering about the "burn in" time on headphones and whether I can just pop them into my iPod with an amp. Honestly, I'm not obsessed with bass, its just with the introduction of the Solos into my life I had begun to really enjoy what I had never had on headphones before. On the other hand, I was beginning to long for more clarity. They aren't on my head right now, but maybe I'll also take a deeper look at the Srh750dj for the fun of it, since I'd rather not have that overwhelming base if the clarity really catches me. So far I haven't found a place where I can demo any but the XB500 (I remember actually trying them on once in the Sony Style store in the mall, thought they were really comfy(not exactly caring for the music at the time), and took them off)

Dec 29, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #51 of 69

Quote:
Quote:
With headphones you can't "feel the bass" because with a subwoofer, the bass is actually felt, but with headphones, that can only be achieved with some sort of fake vibration. Thing is, HD- 25 is a relatively bassy headphone, the Beats Solo are VERY bassy. TONS OF BASS. The bass is anything but natural on the beats. Good headphones does not = MOAR BAZZSS!!!! Grados are very treble heavy but are still well regarded .

Good headphones for you aren't like that, but for me I like more bass. That doesn't mean my XB500's or even my 750dj's are bad headphones cause they can produce my desired low end. Are you implying the  the reproduction( albbeit emphasised) of the low end is an automatic penalty across the board for everyone? YOu're saying that as an Objective on what is essentially a subjective question.

Hey hey hey, I'm sorry, I'm not saying headphones with bass are bad. I'm just trying to state that headphones don't need TONS of bass to be good headphones. I'm a proud owner of HD650s and I'd say they reside on the more bassy side. I don't hate bass. Didn't mean to offend you.

Dec 29, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #52 of 69
I don't mean you as in you specifically...just generally.

Quote:
Quote:

I never said that I want Quantity over Quality. I bought the Shure's for just that and they deliver.

Dec 29, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #53 of 69
Problem 1: You are using Dre's. No can/buds bust after a 3 foot(ish) drop! Especially for that price! Not that I would recommend dropping any set for poops and gigs. Beats/anything Dre are a total gimmick. Find way better cans for the same (or way better) price. Dre is a marketing joke. All his cans do is boost bass response so virgin ears feel like they are getting a quality set of phones.

Problem 2: There is no problem other than problem 1. Just steer clear from that marketing trap. Research research research.

Dec 29, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #54 of 69
i have heard that the srh750dj headphones have better bass and more of a naturual sound then the sth m50 headphones. but i can only say i am impressed with my 750dj headphones. and i think you would be satsified with the clarity. i have no problems undertsnading what they are saying in my music.

Dec 29, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #55 of 69

Quote:
i have heard that the srh750dj headphones have better bass and more of a naturual sound then the sth m50 headphones. but i can only say i am impressed with my 750dj headphones. and i think you would be satsified with the clarity. i have no problems undertsnading what they are saying in my music.

Oh its not about literally understanding what they are saying, its just if they seem a bit muffled in comparison to the M50's. Like they really aren't singing next to your ear. Not like you can get THAT kind of quality with these sort of headphones, but you know what I'm getting at. The M50's are supposedly more suited for that.... Darnit, I really need to find a place to try these two on!

Dec 29, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #56 of 69

Quote:
Quote:

Oh its not about literally understanding what they are saying, its just if they seem a bit muffled in comparison to the M50's. Like they really aren't singing next to your ear. Not like you can get THAT kind of quality with these sort of headphones, but you know what I'm getting at. The M50's are supposedly more suited for that.... Darnit, I really need to find a place to try these two on!

i havnt tried the ath m50 yet but hope to get a pair one day. but i think they are both good for what you will be doing and they are good value for the money,

Dec 29, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #57 of 69
Yeah... I don't know... If I was listening to Solo SQ and Sony noise-cancelling earphone quality, then I guess these would still sound more crisp and accurate than anything I've tried before and still provide for my much needed bass. The bass keeps things lively for me, and since I only get to pick one or the other I think I may have to look at that

What about the Hd-25 vs 750dj? Anybody know anything about these two facing off?

Anyways, I'm going to strongly emphasize that if it has good bass like the Beats, but better/less muddier sound quality than the Beats, I will be impressed by basically anything. :D

Dec 29, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #58 of 69

Quote:
Quote:

Guitar center should have both and some other really notebable headphones such as Allen and Heath Xone XD53's and Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohm.

Dec 29, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #59 of 69

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Guitar center should have both and some other really notebable headphones such as Allen and Heath Xone XD53's and Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohm.

Thank goodness! Finally someone who knows a dealer I can go to! It seems there is one in Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm Beach, both close enough to me. Hopefully, they will have it.

Dec 29, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #60 of 69
Call your Guitar Centers first. They don't all have the same gear. Also, you may want to take what the clerks say with a grain or several of salt. Some know what they're talking about some don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back