Repair of Koss Hv-1
Dec 19, 2009 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Bon

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all. I have a pair of hv-1 that have been tampered with and the copper coils have been ripped from whatever they connect to inside the cans. apologies for the lack of technical jargon.
So essentially they require either a new diaphram and copper coil as they are connected, or someone who is well versed in repairing such damage. If anyone here can help with such or knows where they can be sent that woul dbe a huge help. Koss international were no help whatsoever.
Im in new zealand but willing to send wherever given they get fixed, obviously not after top of the line repair ($$ wise) as they arent worth a whole lot but are some very choice cans.
Cheers everyone

Dec 22, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #3 of 4
pics would help any possible solutions

Jul 31, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
Hey all. I have a pair of hv-1 that have been tampered with and the copper coils have been ripped from whatever they connect to inside the cans. apologies for the lack of technical jargon.
So essentially they require either a new diaphram and copper coil as they are connected, or someone who is well versed in repairing such damage. If anyone here can help with such or knows where they can be sent that woul dbe a huge help. Koss international were no help whatsoever.
Im in new zealand but willing to send wherever given they get fixed, obviously not after top of the line repair ($$ wise) as they arent worth a whole lot but are some very choice cans.
Cheers everyone

You'll run into a few problems with this: 
- Even if you do find diaphragms with coils attached, any attempt to do anything other than cold solder the coil leads onto the terminals will result in disintegration of the coil leads. 
-You could scrounge flea markets / Craigslist / Internets for a few broken sets and hope that you can find a set of impedance matched drivers. (HV-1 drivers, to the extent of my experiences, are nominally 151.4 ohms).
- Attaching the coils back onto the diaphragms is a process with very little tolerance for error. In a half a dozen or so attempts with HV-1 and 1A drivers, I've only been able to accomplish it once. Even then, the impedance was shifted down somewhat, resulting in a set of drivers that no longer produced the same SPL given equal power input. 
- Not even Koss stocks or sells / repairs those diaphragms. 
- I am not aware of anywhere on the planet that sells or repairs these drivers / diaphragms, even in NOS form. 
- It's taken me SIX sets of HV-1's to put together one perfect set. The coil leads (and sometimes the coils) oxidize, and the magnets rust.
-Sometimes the magnets rust to the point where the ferrite dust can accumulate significantly in the drivers.
-Also, the terminal leads on the drivers were poorly soldered on. Several folks attempted to repair this using hot guns, and ended up melting the coil leads.
-Additionally, the cabling and terminations used in the manufacturing of these headphones are from the early 70's. They can't be expected to hold up forever. Even if you can scrounge up a worthy set of drivers, you'll probably want to re-cable your cans. 

Just my two cents. And, they DO sound splendid. Sometimes I reach for these. Sometimes the sr325is's get the nod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back