Removing Hifiman Ananda or Arya Grills
Feb 5, 2022 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

npalnpal

New Head-Fier
Hi, I saw someone who had taken off their Arya grills and painted them or anodized them gold which looked neat. I have a pair of Anandas and love the all black look of the Arya's. Does anyone know how to remove the silver metal grills? Someone said they just pop out but I had no luck wedging a thin knife and trying to pop them out. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Feb 5, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 10
Feb 6, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #3 of 10
Feb 6, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #4 of 10
You're welcome--if you're going to spray, suggest lightly scuffing them with fine grit sandpaper, prime, and paint. Light coats of spray work better than trying to get full coverage in the first shot. If it runs, let it dry fully and sand it down, then spray again. Excited to see how it turns out!

Feb 6, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #5 of 10
You're welcome--if you're going to spray, suggest lightly scuffing them with fine grit sandpaper, prime, and paint. Light coats of spray work better than trying to get full coverage in the first shot. If it runs, let it dry fully and sand it down, then spray again. Excited to see how it turns out!
It is actually super easy to remove the grills but you do have to disassemble the entire headphone. Take off both earpads, revealing 8 screws on each driver. Once all 8 are out you can pull out a plastic inner ring holding it, then the driver and grill come out together towards the inside of the headphone. Have to be cautious with the 3.5mm jack when removing, you can push the whole driver up and the 3.5mm jack slides out of the slot and the entire driver assembly comes out, and the grills will come right off, they aren't glued or anything. I sanded them and just painted them, now waiting for them to dry and will reassemble headphone. Kind of scary disassembling your best pair of headphones but it is easy and safe if you just take your time, only 10-15 minutes. I hope anyone else looking for this advice is able to find this and achieve what they want. I will be posting photos of mine when finished shortly.

Feb 7, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #6 of 10
83956923-971D-45CA-AC76-77F2F7AD197E.jpeg

I didn’t realize how much of the sides would show so some silver is showing around the edges. I’m going to apply another coat but it’s looking good so far. I’d recommend hanging them by fishing line and painting both front and back, not just the front like I did or you risk some silver still showing.

Feb 11, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #7 of 10
I think they're coming out really really nicely! What finish did you use? Satin?

Aug 7, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #8 of 10
83956923-971D-45CA-AC76-77F2F7AD197E.jpeg
I didn’t realize how much of the sides would show so some silver is showing around the edges. I’m going to apply another coat but it’s looking good so far. I’d recommend hanging them by fishing line and painting both front and back, not just the front like I did or you risk some silver still showing.
These look great. I'm also considering doing something like this, so I always like to ask... knowing what you know now, after having done it, would you do it again?

Sep 13, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #10 of 10
These came out great even after first coat! Any updates as of right now? Paint coming off and things like that?
Since most of us can't powder coat, I'd think the next best thing would be clear coat to help protect the finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back