Reinforcing Monster Turbine Cables (especially the 3.5mm plug)
Nov 27, 2010 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

jamestsao

New Head-Fier
I am expecting some Monster Turbines in the mail next week and i read that their cables are subpar and the 3.5mm straight plug has no stress relief. I was wondering if i could reinforce the plug or add stress relief or recable the whole thing.

Thanks. I'm trying keep my expectations low as this is my first IEM above the sub $20 range to not feel too disappointed.

Nov 28, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 19
Well, your headphones come with a 3 year warranty (provided you have a purchase receipt from an authorised dealer). If the cables fatigue, monster will replace it; hopefully with their newer model, which supposedly comes with L plug and better strain reliefs.

Just enjoy them, the monster turbines are pretty darn good 
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #8 of 19
From what I heard, only the pro comes with L-plug and thicker cable. There's no revision on the original MT even though the box was printed L-plug...anyone here have a original MT with a L-plug?

Nov 28, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #9 of 19
With my old pair of turbines, I put a little bit of superglue on the part where the cable meets the plug. It worked quite well, though I had to reapply the glue once a month

Nov 28, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #10 of 19
Received my MT today, havent not burn in but I'm already happy listening to it out of box. Now before my UE10 come, I will spend some good time with the MT. RE0 will be neglected for a while.

Nov 29, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #11 of 19

Quote:
With my old pair of turbines, I put a little bit of superglue on the part where the cable meets the plug. It worked quite well, though I had to reapply the glue once a month

Do you mean the plug in the speakers or the one in the mini-jack? I am thinking of putting some heatshrink for both of them, it is a really easy job, but I'm afraid that somehow, if I do that to increase the life of my MT, I'll end up busting my warranty, since I technically "modified" the earphones.
What do you think?

Nov 29, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #12 of 19
I put the superglue around the minijack and the y splitter. It didn't do anything to the warranty as I recently got my turbines replaced.

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #15 of 19
I put the tightest Heatshrink tubing on the 3.5mm jack to essentially "melt" the tubing into the wire. Don't melt it but it would naturally mend itself into the wire itself during the shrink. I used 1/16" tubing stretched with 2 sets of screwdrivers and than heat shrinked. I wear my MT over the ear to reduce any snagging and micro vibrations. This also reduces the tension on the connections to the channels. The Y connector I have yet to find a solution to that. I wanted to use Heat shrink on that too but the Y connector to the channel wires I don't know how to reinforce these without major cosmetic manipulation or cutting open the wire itself (thereby voiding your warranty).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back