Regional Pizza Styles
Jan 26, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #16 of 52
Evidently there's a San Francisco-style, though I've never had it in San Francisco. Saw the sign in Park City, Utah. Mild, sourdough crust.

Jan 26, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #17 of 52
There's a place called Lynx Creek Pizza about 2-2 1/2 hours out from where I live, that has the best pizza ever. My friends and I used to drive out there for nothing more than the pizza, and then drive back. I don't remember what style it was though.....it's been a couple of years now.

Jan 26, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #19 of 52
Blondie's in Berkeley, CA.
Buffalo, NY is a good pizza town.
But my favorite is very thick sicilian pizza--the best is in NYC.

Jan 26, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #20 of 52
Italian pizza for me (thin crusty, with small amount of filling).

Jan 26, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #21 of 52
This "clam pizza" intrigues me, I shall have to try it sometime.
Pepe's%20clam%20pizza%20no%20cheese.jpg

Normally I'm a 'New York Pizza' kind of guy. But I've never had good Chicago style either (I simply must go to Chicago for pizza sometime).

And the list doesn't mention deep-fried pizza. In which a round New-York pizza is rolled, the edges crimped, and dropped into a deep fryer (until the middle is filled with flesh-burning molten cheese and oil). I guess it may be closer to a calazone, but hey... its good stuff. (The 'pizza rolls' in your grocery-store freezer are very tiny versions of the deep fried pizza, which is better because it is fresh, not frozen).

Jan 26, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #23 of 52
i've lived in chicago and california and travel to new york often as my wife's family is there...and, not to discount the other regional varieties, my favorite by far is new york-style. last time we visited we went to lombardi's and i really thought it was quite fantastic.

here in phoenix we have what bon apetit claims is the best pizza in the country - pizzeria bianco. i've yet to go but am very curious. i didn't see it listed in the article, but perhaps it's not its own style yet...

Jan 26, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #25 of 52
The best pizza I've had is here in Seattle at Serious Pie and their best one is the: cherry bomb peppers, sweet fennel sausage. It guess this place is considered a highend place but the pizza's are still simple enough and are not destroyed by using the finest ingredients. It's a square thin crust but I think it's made of corn meal, I could be wrong. It's just unlike any pizza I've had and just amazing from the first bite.

Tom Douglas Restaurants : Serious Pie : Menu

I grew up in St. Louis, so I'm also a fan of St. Louis style like Imo's. There's better places but it's been too long since I've lived there, I can't remember them.

My wife's from New York and I tried some pizza last time I visited. I wasn't a big fan. I could have just been the place since it was on Long Island. I'll have to try again in the city sometime.

Jan 26, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #26 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamoneagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My wife's from New York and I tried some pizza last time I visited. I wasn't a big fan. I could have just been the place since it was on Long Island. I'll have to try again in the city sometime.

Long Island pie is totally different on the whole as it has a thicker crust that the better NYC pie and is slathered in mediocre cheese

Jan 26, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #27 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Long Island pie is totally different on the whole as it has a thicker crust that the better NYC pie and is slathered in mediocre cheese

Yeah, I figured it couldn't be the great New York pie everyone was talking about. The garlic knots were pretty good.

They seem to have excellent bagels on Long Island though. If the NYC ones are better, I can't wait. No place outside of New York seems to get bagels right. I haven't tried any in Seattle yet but I'm not expecting much. I could be surprised. I guess bagels need their own thread. Keep this one pizza related.

Jan 26, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #28 of 52
Look into rays frozen bagels. Flash frozen NY bagels. They are the closest thing I can get when I'm not in the city. You bake them instead of toasting and they taste almost as good as the real thing.

Jan 27, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #29 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look into rays frozen bagels. Flash frozen NY bagels. They are the closest thing I can get when I'm not in the city. You bake them instead of toasting and they taste almost as good as the real thing.

do they sell these at most supermarkets? my wife complains about the bad bagels here in the desert so it'd be nice to try this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back