Regarding Amazon's AKG K701 Sale..
Apr 16, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #31 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-the only people that like k701's are those that haven't heard good headphones. their ignorance and inexperience are the sole explanations for liking k701's.

-those that defend the k701's are too cheap to pay $50 more for a superior hd650. if the k701's were priced the same or higher than the hd650's, no one would own them.

i dont know about that
confused.gif

Apr 16, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #32 of 140
K701 were made for a purpose, being very analytical. So I still feel people who bought them and were disappointed did not buy them for what they excel at.

Good reasons why I did not buy the K701 or will not buy them.

Apr 16, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #33 of 140
I unfortunately purchased a pair of 701's based on reviews I read. To each his own I guess. They lacked bass fullness which I crave. Way too sterile for my taste. And this is after burning them in for 3 weeks straight. At the time I owned a Musical Fidelity X-Can V3, and a Cambridge Audio 640C CD player. Bad match possibly?

Apr 16, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #35 of 140
It's funny.... at the end, these hate thread about k701 raise higher and higher my expectations toward the HD650 to which they are often compared and that I intend to buy pretty soon (do I need to say that I'm not fond of my K701..). The K701 is like a competition product / pro model, doing certain things very well, but some others very bad. I'm soooo eager to listen to the HD650 !! Believe that or not, I've never listen to one (while I listened to the HD800 !)

Apr 16, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #36 of 140
I recently purchased k701 from Amazon and found the slightly different logo (missing clover or is it 3 hearts..?? inscribed on the ring plates) and L & R indicator on lower ring plates instead of upper ones. e-mailed AKG for its orginality and the version, they told me this is the newer version! But then I guess its only the look they have changed...

Apr 16, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #37 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sarcasm much? read the recent k701 "hate" posts in this thread and others.

they've presented the assertations that:

-the only people that like k701's are those that haven't heard good headphones. their ignorance and inexperience are the sole explanations for liking k701's.

-those that defend the k701's are too cheap to pay $50 more for a superior hd650. if the k701's were priced the same or higher than the hd650's, no one would own them.

-implying that those who prefer the k701 sound are "wrong" because the k701's are unequivocally unnatural and inferior sounding. no room for opinion or personal preferences when it comes to sound.

I hope you actually owned and didn't like them, not just *read* some threads.
They're getting their share of headtime with the rest of headphones in my collection (you can check profile if interested), comparing to the rest they have their merits and cons as others do too. I personally dig them, doesn't mean that you would, but that just a matter of personal preferences not them being inferior as technically they are very capable.

Apr 16, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #38 of 140
Sorry for all the misunderstanding from my posts.
I like the k701's, and for the most part I prefer the AKG sound over sennheisers.

I was attempting to use sarcasm and repeated what k701 "bashers" have been spreading around recently in an attempt to show how silly and over the top it's been. Those three "points" are things I disagree with.

Apr 16, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #39 of 140
What a ridiculous thread this has become. Another "hall of fame" example of thread krapping. Watch it go on for another 30 pages.
rolleyes.gif

On a scale of 0 to 5, 0 being bad and 5 being good, some would rate the 701's as a 0, some would give it a 1, some would give it a 2, some would give it a 3, some would give it a 4, and some would give it a 5. The people who would give it a 0 think the people who would give it a 5 are idiots and/or deaf and vice-versa -- and so on with the people would would give it a 1 or 4, etc. Does that about cover it?

Apr 16, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #41 of 140
You can subjectivize K-701 opinion, but the reality is that the K-701 reproduces music in a way that does not sound accurate to a live event. Granted, no transducer does, but the K-701 is glaringly wrong.

Some people might enjoy listening to them, but some people like the way a subwoofer sounds when it rattles door panels and the trunk. There's nothing objective about taste.

Apr 16, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #42 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can subjectivize K-701 opinion, but the reality is that . . . .[t]here's nothing objective about taste.

confused_face_2.gif

Quote:

Some people might enjoy listening to them . . . .

From what I read, it sounds like a whole mess of people like them. You don't. That's cool. I don't think that is a reflection on anything about you -- other than that you don't like them. I don't think the fact that certain people like them says anything about those people -- other than that they like them.
wink_face.gif

Why do we always have to take people's preferences on this site and make judgments about their character, their intelligence, their perception, their abilities, etc. Live and let live.
smile_phones.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #43 of 140
Quote:

You can subjectivize K-701 opinion, but the reality is that the K-701 reproduces music in a way that does not sound accurate to a live event. Granted, no transducer does, but the K-701 is glaringly wrong.

Some people might enjoy listening to them, but some people like the way a subwoofer sounds when it rattles door panels and the trunk. There's nothing objective about taste.

I would say this is a fair comment for the 701's below 1000 Hz.

To my ears, with my setup (OPUS DAC>DV 336) they are far more representative of live music for the rest of the frequency curve than the comparable Senns. I really didn't fall for the 650's and ended up with the 600's which seem more balanced to me, but their is a certain magic I hear with the 701's that is just missing with the 600's. I find that live music has a clarity and space that the Senn sound just doesn't capture. Unfortunately the 701's lack a certain fullness in the low frequencies, and just don't have the bass impact of live music. Comparing the 701's to a decent set of speakers or other phones shows the limits at the bottom end, but to my ears they are fantastic at everything else.

I would ditch the 600's in a second if AKG could fix the bottom end on these phones. I'm amazed AKG hasn't taken a kick at a new flagship phone to fix these issues.

Apr 17, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #44 of 140
A psychology major could write a doctoral thesis on the postings of Head-Fi members who take great pains never to miss an opportunity to ignore the context of a thread topic in their continual quest to voice their opinions when it is unasked for.
Such thesis titles might read...."My inner child is having a tantrum" or "Why don't people listen to me" or "If I say it enough times, maybe I'll believe it".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back