Regarding Amazon's AKG K701 Sale..
Apr 16, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #16 of 140
^ This happens anytime "K701" appears in a thread title.
The same members are guaranteed to post the same thing they've posted a dozen times before, explaining why the K701 is a bad choice in headphones, ignoring the context/question of the OP.

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #17 of 140
I've read many reviews on the K701 and its praised to have the most "analytical" sound signature. I've never heard of anything that's "neutral", so I thought I might give it a try. The price is very tempting, be it new or used.

I have several other earphones in mind as well (Etymotic ER-4P and YUIN PK1). Was leaning toward the AKG K701 because of its tempting sale price. My main concern is the expiration of the sale, but knowing that I can get a used can for around $200, I think I can hold that off for a little bit and do more research and hopefully get to listen to a pair in an audio store (if they carry them).

I'm still quite new to audio, the only thing I've really listened to is the MS-1000. It taught me what "bright" and "upfront" sound like. Still fairly young with little to no expense, I want to venture deeper into the world of audiophile and experience each sound signature.

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #18 of 140
I recommend that you check the price at HeadRoom by calling them. I think they offer free shipping on orders over $99. They are also a forum sponsor so buying from them helps to support Head-Fi as well.

EDIT: I didn't notice that you are in Canada when I first posted. That probably changes things on the shipping...but I still suggest you talk to HeadRoom to see what they can do for you.

--Jerome

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #21 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
k701 is very flat and accurate.
at the same time, it may be very dry and boring.

do i like them?
yes..
you?
i don't know..

I'd like to know if I'll like the "flat" sound from K701 as well. I heard they trump with an amp.

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #22 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read many reviews on the K701 and its praised to have the most "analytical" sound signature. I've never heard of anything that's "neutral", so I thought I might give it a try. The price is very tempting, be it new or used.

I have several other earphones in mind as well (Etymotic ER-4P and YUIN PK1). Was leaning toward the AKG K701 because of its tempting sale price. My main concern is the expiration of the sale, but knowing that I can get a used can for around $200, I think I can hold that off for a little bit and do more research and hopefully get to listen to a pair in an audio store (if they carry them).

I'm still quite new to audio, the only thing I've really listened to is the MS-1000. It taught me what "bright" and "upfront" sound like. Still fairly young with little to no expense, I want to venture deeper into the world of audiophile and experience each sound signature.

The AKG K701 and Sony MDR-SA5000 are both much less "fun" sounding than a lot of other phones. You commonly read "steryl", "boring", "dull" and "analytical" used to describe them.

Because of the balanced fr these give, added to the fast drivers, you end-up with a headphone that is very precise, but one that is not enjoyed by many music lovers who are used to very colored sound reproduction.
We tend to like what we're used to. Which may explain why Wes Phillips liked them so much. He is used to extremely refined and balanced reproduction from having reviewed and owned very high-end gear over many years. Yes, it's possible that Wes' review was paid for by AKG's parent company, The Harman Group (since AKG does not advertise in Stereophile...I don't think), but I doubt it.

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #24 of 140
My problem with the K701 is they didn't really fix the issues people had with the K501 and introduced some new ones, like the bumpy headband, the need for the foam disc and the crappy (in terms of sound) K701 pads and in my opinion, the hideous looks. They fixed the looks with the K702, though. Black fixes everything.

I do not think the K701 is flat, but it is closer to it than a lot of 'phones out there.

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #25 of 140
I've tried the K701 like 5 times, even though me ears didn't care for it, simply because the entire staff of STEREOPHILE and Wes Phillips and plenty of people and vendors here said it was so, so good.

I wouldn't call it repulsive, and the Amazon thing sounds like a pretty good deal, but . . .

. . . the K701 takes all the heat that it does because it was:

1) overhyped;

and

2) it was the first major headphone that proved - proved! - that major audiophiles do not necessarily hear well.

It will be fun to see if the new Sennheiser HD800 is Wes' newest "best".........

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #27 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2) it was the first major headphone that proved - proved! - that major audiophiles do not necessarily hear well.

Please explain this "proof". I'm having a hard time understanding how a headphone can determine a persons ability to hear well. Thanks in advance.

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #28 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...it was the first major headphone that proved - proved! - that major audiophiles do not necessarily hear well.

Uh...make that two clowns added to the ignore list.

Look, I don't have a problem with people who disagree with me and I don't expect everyone to share my tastes. But when people can only articulate themselves in way that is disrespectful and insults other members...well, I don't really need to bother with reading anything they have to say...in this thread or any other.

--Jerome

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #29 of 140
I saw used ones below $200

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #30 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trolling much??

sarcasm much? read the recent k701 "hate" posts in this thread and others.

they've presented the assertations that:

-the only people that like k701's are those that haven't heard good headphones. their ignorance and inexperience are the sole explanations for liking k701's.

-those that defend the k701's are too cheap to pay $50 more for a superior hd650. if the k701's were priced the same or higher than the hd650's, no one would own them.

-implying that those who prefer the k701 sound are "wrong" because the k701's are unequivocally unnatural and inferior sounding. no room for opinion or personal preferences when it comes to sound.

etc.

imho, the k701 bashing trend is just about getting into bose and skullcandy territory. pretty soon they'll be raving and foaming at the mouth as well.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back