Regarding Amazon's AKG K701 Sale..
Apr 24, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #136 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who said flat = natural? Also, are you tell us what we hear and dont hear based on a chart? Maybe the sound would sound more balanced if the lower end of the green line was higher.

That can be done (see red line)...

graphCompare.php

The variation is a measuring issue (and not caused by balanced drive!).

So the proof is there: The K 701 does have bass. It's not that I needed it myself, though: to my ears the K 701 has excellent, textured and extended bass. I'm not saying people who perceive it otherwise are wrong; but they (more precisely: the penetrative voices in this thread) simply fail to take different ears (physically and sensorily) into consideration. As if people who like the sound of the K 701 were somehow dumb.

Some people have certain sonic expectations, e.g. a bass response like this...

graphCompare.php

...among them probably a majority of people predominantly or exclusively listening to rock/pop, who want to be reminded of P.A. equipment.

To me the K 701 sounds more like this...

15253d1237250212-sennheiser-hd-800-first-listen-first-review-k-701-hd-800.jpg

...than what HeadRoom's graphs seem to indicate. You see that it is in good company.
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 24, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #137 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please explain how "not outright missing a large part of the audible spectrum" translates as "perfect". Don't ask me to defend things I did not say.

I'm not engaging you further. jsaliga has pointed out the fallacies and inconsistencies in your argument better than I could. This is just silly (i.e., the fanaticism with which you and other 701 "haters" approach these issues).

Apr 24, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #138 of 140
of the headphones I own, K701 are by far the most sensitive to "software". Listening, just to make a couple of examples, to Boston, or rage against the machine, with the K701 is an exercise in frustration. OTH the recent Bob Dylan "Jack Frost" CDs feel so real, so "there" with the K701. And speaking of live recordings, I find that the Bach Cantatas Pilgrimage of Gardiner and co, comes alive only when I listen to it using K701. Using my other phones (including the "toe-tapping" Shure E500) I lose focus on the music much faster than using K701.

In conclusion, perhaps some of people who dislike the K701 acoustically are actually suffering from the GIGO syndrome...

Apr 26, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #139 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That can be done (see red line)...

graphCompare.php

The variation is a measuring issue (and not caused by balanced drive!).

So the proof is there: The K 701 does have bass. It's not that I needed it myself, though: to my ears the K 701 has excellent, textured and extended bass. I'm not saying people who perceive it otherwise are wrong; but they (more precisely: the penetrative voices in this thread) simply fail to take different ears (physically and sensorily) into consideration. As if people who like the sound of the K 701 were somehow dumb.

When Headroom first put out the original graphs of the K701, and I got my K701's, the graphs did NOT match what I heard at all (I bought them right at the first big production batch) They seemed to indicate a bass heavy phone with a slight prominent upper midrange. I made up my own mind that the K701 needed about 3dB boost in the "slam" frequency range (40-70hz) to sound balanced

But now looking at these newer charts, it seems the measurements at Headroom exactly now mirrow what I've been hearing the whole time, so it would seem the graphcs *are* pretty useful now under the recalibrated measurement techniques. Compared to my own speaker system which is calibrated and EQ'ed to be +/- dB all the way down to 20Hz, the K701 does seem a bit thinner, but not by that much. Now, the Denons I am enjoying right now seem to be on the bass heavy side of neutral, about a couple of dB north of neutral, which is again reflected in the Headroom charts. So my conclusion is that the Headroom charts DO reflect what *I* hear for my two test cases, so there is a very positive correlation

Apr 26, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #140 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
of the headphones I own, K701 are by far the most sensitive to "software". Listening, just to make a couple of examples, to Boston, or rage against the machine, with the K701 is an exercise in frustration. OTH the recent Bob Dylan "Jack Frost" CDs feel so real, so "there" with the K701. And speaking of live recordings, I find that the Bach Cantatas Pilgrimage of Gardiner and co, comes alive only when I listen to it using K701. Using my other phones (including the "toe-tapping" Shure E500) I lose focus on the music much faster than using K701.

In conclusion, perhaps some of people who dislike the K701 acoustically are actually suffering from the GIGO syndrome...

I agree 100%. I guess I have to join the fray... I listened to a pair of (un-burned in) K702s\Equinox cable and there IS BASS (Bill Evans Village Vanguard 1,2,3 very well recorded for the time period, early 60s.)!!! Very controlled and extended! No, it's not SKULL shaking bass, but it's there and very noticeable. If this does improve with burn in (still kinda skeptical) I can consider myself done with the headphone upgrade bug, for at least a year!
wink.gif

Btw, the GIGO syndrome is prevelant with any phone, I'm very curious to see how it eventually plays out with the HD800 (neutral?), it's going to show a lot of the flaws of the highly compressed music that's out there, this merry go round never stops!
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back