Rega Saturn
May 6, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #391 of 415
KC
Musical Fidelity repair work, both warranty and out of warranty, is done at Signal Path 704-391-0673 in North Carolina. They are pretty fast as long as part does not have to come from UK and reasonable price.

Worth a call.........

May 7, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #393 of 415
Hello to all Saturn owners,

Well now my Saturn has around 400 hours and I have to say it sounds beautiful.

However, there is one issue, I find there are dust around the lens. I never open the lid for more than 10 seconds so I don't know how the dust got inside. Well my apartment is pretty dusty even I try to dust weekly, I can still see them around the window.

How can I clean the lens withtou damage it? Can I use the Giottos Rocket Air Blaster that use for my camera lens to blow those dust off?

Thanks.

Enjoy your Saturn......

May 7, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #394 of 415
There will always be some dust everywhere, I wouldn't worry about it. I have never "cleaned" dust from any CDP lens I have owned in 15yrs personally.

That said I do keep a hand squeeze photo air blaster like the Giotto by CDP to sometimes blow dust off CD before putting in CDP if needed.

May 8, 2007 at 12:38 PM Post #396 of 415
KC
I haven't been able to do in depth look at G08 because last month or so my system has been in a state of flux and I am trying out many things:
-equipment repair
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

-new equipment and cables being tried
-equipment upgrades/mods

Will take some time to get stable system in place that I am familiar with so I can accurately tell the differences.........if you do a search here there are many posts already describing the sound of G08 over last couple years

May 8, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #397 of 415
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bu11dog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Cheesebert

I agree with you. That's why I got a GS-1 but speakers are not on my plan right now. No space :frowning2:

Hey Bulldog,just a suggestion but if you don't have one already I think a tube amp is in order.It gives the music that relaxed presentation.

May 9, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #398 of 415
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
KCWill take some time to get stable system in place that I am familiar with so I can accurately tell the differences.........if you do a search here there are many posts already describing the sound of G08 over last couple years

Yes, but none compared to the Saturn! Anyways, good luck with getting your equipment sorted out. I've been waiting for your G08 versus Saturn thoughts before considering the Rega piece.

May 9, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #399 of 415
Quote:

KC
I haven't been able to do in depth look at G08 because last month or so my system has been in a state of flux and I am trying out many things:
-equipment repair
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

-new equipment and cables being tried
-equipment upgrades/mods

Will take some time to get stable system in place that I am familiar with so I can accurately tell the differences.........if you do a search here there are many posts already describing the sound of G08 over last couple years

System in a state of flux. I can relate to that, it seems like mine is like that full time. I had no idea when I got into audio a few years ago that it would go this far. You have some great gear so I'm sure you will get great results. Good luck.

Jun 23, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #400 of 415
A cruel twist of fate..........909 has left his Saturn brothers for another CDP mistress that has seduced him, the price of admission was high though since it retails for 3x the price of Saturn
wink.gif

I am still faithful to the Saturn clan, I have sold my Meridian G08 since I felt it offered no advantage to the Saturn and the money could be put to better use elsewhere. For me the cost of any incremental improvement for CDP is just not worth it, money better spent on speakers etc. I did recently get a Shengya CD10 tube CDP to play with, and the RAM modded Bel Canto Dac 2 has not been surpassed by G08 or Saturn but don't like the hassle of extra box in system.

After long time with Saturn if I could tweak things a bit I would like to have a slightly fuller body to sound and a larger readout window. The Saturn is very detailed and revealing but I wish it had a sweeter more relaxed sound in the final analysis. All this of course depends on your system and what type music you play, no plans to sell Saturn but always some room for improvement, still a great performer that is very hard to beat for a sane price level

I have found the perfect partner for Saturn with a Vincent SV236 tube hybrid integrated that has triode tube preamp section with 100 watt transistor output, first 10 watts class A. This gives me the body and sweetness I wanted so I have a great symbiotic match to achive sound I seek. Also this Vincent has bypass tone controls that work like magic, I can detect no sound degradation when in use, love the flexibility........check system 1 pix 4 below.

Jun 23, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #401 of 415
Quote:

A cruel twist of fate..........909 has left his Saturn brothers for another CDP mistress that has seduced him, the price of admission was high though since it retails for 3x the price of Saturn
wink.gif

The Saturn is boxed and ready to ship to it's new owner on Monday. I had a final listening session with the Saturn on Thursday night. Should I even comment...
very_evil_smiley.gif

The retail price on the CDP-777 is actually a little more than 6x the Saturn's retail price. I didn't buy the CDP-777 new, but based on what I paid for each it's a little less than 4x more.

Jun 23, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #402 of 415
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Saturn is boxed and ready to ship to it's new owner on Monday. I had a final listening session with the Saturn on Thursday night. Should I even comment...
very_evil_smiley.gif

The retail price on the CDP-777 is actually a little more than 6x the Saturn's retail price. I didn't buy the CDP-777 new, but based on what I paid for each it's a little less than 4x more.

Congrats on your new source!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back