Rega Saturn
Jun 25, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #31 of 415
It looks like the exact upgrades from Apollo to Saturn
as from Planet to Jupiter....Double up on DACs and beefed up power supplies. If the benefits are the same as the planet/jupiter, you can expect better dynamics and a bigger cleaner sound in the Saturn over that of the Apollo. Those were what I heard when comparing my Jupiter to my Planet2K. More of everything presented with a much cleaner sound. I listened to the Apollo yesterday and thought it was nice. It was in an all Rega system.

Jun 25, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #32 of 415
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
Am I the only person who saw this thread and came in expecting:
sega_saturn1.jpg
?
tongue.gif

No not really, with REGA in front of it. Funny thing is I have one of those buried away in my closet in my old room at my parents house. Maybe the next time I visit them I should go digging through the closet for it. Sell it on ebay, and get some money for more headphones! Though I bet it isn't worth anything. I always liked playing that SNK game Metal Slug though (import with a catridge converter). I kind of grew out of the video game thing though. Though I know the one I had was the older model with the dual LED's on top. [must go on ebay and see if that crap is worth anything today]

Jun 27, 2006 at 12:18 PM Post #33 of 415
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
It looks like the exact upgrades from Apollo to Saturn
as from Planet to Jupiter....Double up on DACs and beefed up power supplies. If the benefits are the same as the planet/jupiter, you can expect better dynamics and a bigger cleaner sound in the Saturn over that of the Apollo. Those were what I heard when comparing my Jupiter to my Planet2K. More of everything presented with a much cleaner sound. I listened to the Apollo yesterday and thought it was nice. It was in an all Rega system.

How did the Apollo compare to the Jupiter?

Jun 27, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #34 of 415
I didnt get to hear them side by side.
I'm just looking at the upgrades of the Saturn over the Apollo and they seem to be the same as the Jupiter over the Planet2K. I would think the benifits would also be the same.

Aug 17, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #35 of 415
Oz at Let There Be Sound just received his first Saturn today. I was there when he unpacked it. It is definitely heavier than the Apollo. It has a heatsink on the bottom very much like the one on the bottom of the Rega Mira3 integrated. He is going to start burning it in and hopefully I will get a couple of hours with it on Saturday. I want to compare it a Cayin SCD-50T that I am auditioning for the next through the weekend. The faceplate on the Saturn is metal where the one on the Apollo, I believe is plastic. He didn't know the exact retail price but thought it was in the are of $2400 or $2500.

Aug 17, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #36 of 415
Local dealer here just got his unit in today, too, and is burning it in. Hopefully I will have a chance to listen to it Friday. FWIW he said that out of the box it was sounding outstanding.
US retail is $2400.
Dana

Aug 18, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #40 of 415
I am heading over to my friend's shop to get a tasted of the Saturn. Hopefully, I will find time for a longer audition. I may see if I can take it home Saturday night and keep it through Tuesday when he opens again.

Aug 18, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #42 of 415
One of the first ones in Seattle has just replaced my Planet 2k. The short listen I had before I bought it decided me. I have to work this weekend so it may be a little while before I get a good feel for what it is doing.
cool.gif

Aug 18, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #43 of 415
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danamr
One of the first ones in Seattle has just replaced my Planet 2k. The short listen I had before I bought it decided me. I have to work this weekend so it may be a little while before I get a good feel for what it is doing.
cool.gif

I just spent about 20 minutes with one and it sounds very nice. Not nearly enough time to form any real impressions other than I liked what I heard. I will spend more time tomorrow.

Aug 19, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #45 of 415
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
How does the Saturn sound?

Apollo v. Saturn?

Price?

$2400, punchy and dynamic. I am heading back to the store in a few minutes to hopefully spend an hour or two. I will post some impressions a little later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back