Refreshing entire equipment chain for LCD2: V200, Roc SA + Ref 8, or GHP?
Sep 12, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #16 of 20
I am just going to briefly interject here...been listening to the LCD-2 on the LIquid gold for a few weeks now and lately for a few days with the new ALO chain mail cable.. I am dead tired but can't seem to get myself to turn down my rig anytime soon. Happy listening gents...this combination is enchanting to say the least.

I'd like to throw in the EHHA -Rev A with toshiba BJT output transistors here as a DIY option for an amp to pair with the LCD-2.

Sep 13, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #17 of 20

Quote:
The Roc sa would be used with the reference 8, so I'd make full use of balanced.

In response to curra, I'd like to go with the ref8 in lieu of the ref5 because my dac ATM is the dac19dsp1 and to be honest the vocals aren't quite as realistic as I'd hoped with any of the cans I've used it with. Reviews of the dac3se would suggest it does vocals much better. As a result I'm going for the dac3se line, and since roc is balanced I said to hell with it, I'll go with the balanced musical dac, the ref8.

However it's Hella expensive, so I was looking for input into alternatives, especially that v200 + USB dac.

hi, well u certainly been doin some homework,  i am in same position as u. v200 or half the price ghp.   also  i am super surprised u dont like the dac 19 with vocals, i had been considering that one but went with a tiny hdp, and forgive me dac connoisseur's for suggesting it, but it is super boSS and i have no plans of upgrading, however if i do, it goes right to the bed rig, and shall not be sold ever.

Quote:
Another vote against the built-in DAC in the V200... Indeed treat the V200 as an amp only (although if you are looking for a warm musical sound I think you might love it, but test first if possible). The built-in DAC part is worse than pretty much any 200+ dollar dedicated DAC talked on these forums. Your chain would be completely destroyed by using it as your source. All the components in the chain need to be at least the same quality - garbage in, garbage out.

im curious does this also apply toward the 24/96 option? is the hardware still bad, and is the signal some how messed with even if u dont use it? that would suck.

Quote:
I posted some impressions in the LCD-2 amp thread. I did preferr the vocals out of the GHP over the V200 and Auditor.

V200 has more treble and thus a bit more open sound signature. But it´s mid range had something about it that I found distracting when listening to music. Bass is equal to the GHP more or less.Sometimes I do wish for more air and treble then any of my current amps gives me. But then I go to my more treble happy headphones and realize why I don´t miss it on the LCD-2. Listening to pan flute albums and such you realize how cray good the treble on the LCD-2 actually is. GHP focuses in the areas the LCD-2 is already strong in and make sure nothing distract you from it. I find it does this with just about all my low impedance headphones anyway they sound more true to life and less coloured. V200 did a bit better with the T1 I feel.  I suspect that is why I find it such a great match...

V200 isn´t bad though. If I would have liked the T1 better I would perhaps gone with it instead of the GHP :)

wow ghp had same bass as v200??   and v200had more treble?? but mids were weird eh?
ah and so u preffered v200 with t1 but not with lcd2? how about ed 8 or dx1000 or denon 7000??

oqvist i can always count on excellent impressions from u cheers and keep it up.

oh just wanted to ad, the first thing im doing when i get  lcd2 is breaking out some old jazz albums and hopefully some pan flute:)
 i got the first  Lp picked out : Jimmy Smith Hoochie Cooche Man on verve records.......oowie cant wait

Quote:
I am just going to briefly interject here...been listening to the LCD-2 on the LIquid gold for a few weeks now and lately for a few days with the new ALO chain mail cable.. I am dead tired but can't seem to get myself to turn down my rig anytime soon. Happy listening gents...this combination is enchanting to say the least.

I'd like to throw in the EHHA -Rev A with toshiba BJT output transistors here as a DIY option for an amp to pair with the LCD-2.

sachu  does your liquid gold have more punch than your ehha rev a? dude i am so jealous.
how would you compare them?

Sep 13, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #18 of 20
well thanks :). Primary focus was the LCD-2. I did try the ED 8 and DX 1000 too of course but not to the same extent. the ED 8 I clearly preferred out of the GHP over the V200. DX 1000 is a bit finicky with it´s big bass that takes a lot to control and midrange that get a bit honky at times with piano. Both the V200 and GHP do an admirable job here though I do like that one best on the Head One overall.

Sep 13, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #19 of 20
It´s got better specs, but I´d still never use it with an amp of this caliber... It uses a separate board and can be user-removed as far as I know, there´s no downside to having it inside the unit.

Quote:

im curious does this also apply toward the 24/96 option? is the hardware still bad, and is the signal some how messed with even if u dont use it? that would suck.

Sep 14, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #20 of 20

Which output you would suggest me to plug my LCD-2 into?

I suppose you do not use two pairs of front speakers?

If so, use the front "B" speakers outputs.

I suggest using 4x bananas into female 4-pin XLR (f.e. NC4FXX) adapter, and swapping LCD's NP3X TRS connector with male 4-pin XLR (f.e. NC4MXX). Additionally, if you want to be "backward  compatible", make another NC4FXX to replaced NP3X adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back