Referencesounds/LFF's modded HE-5 >Code-X< thread
Sep 25, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #46 of 344
  Only one out in the wild? 
eek.gif
   I know there're probably on the way.  Just takes a little while.   

There is only one in the wild and a prototype is my possession.

The first batch of 10 is sold out. I am currently modifying the drivers for set No. 4.

These headphones are not a walk in the park to modify as the work requires time and considerable effort. I just hope the future owners smile when they put these headphones on.

EDIT: Had a lot of "freaking out" emails. This ONLY MEANS THAT THE FIRST BATCH IS SOLD OUT, NOT THAT I AM OUT OF NOS STOCK.

Sep 25, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #47 of 344

There is only one in the wild and a prototype is my possession.

The first batch of 10 is sold out. I am currently modifying the drivers for set No. 4.

These headphones are not a walk in the park to modify as the work requires time and considerable effort. I just hope the future owners smile when they put these headphones on.

EDIT: Had a lot of "freaking out" emails. This ONLY MEANS THAT THE FIRST BATCH IS SOLD OUT, NOT THAT I AM OUT OF NOS STOCK.

So is it safe to place my order via the site?

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #49 of 344
Sep 26, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #50 of 344
  I may be wrong but I've heard that the late production HE-5s use the same drivers as the HE-5LE. Can someone confirm?

Different drivers.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/hifiman-he-5-he-5le-he-6-and-he500-planar-magnetic-headphones

Oct 2, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #54 of 344
Have you found any nice AMP pairing to go with this beautiful piece of art? I assume I would be looking at good pairings for the HE-5. Not much out there... 
Just pulled the plug on some of these priceless beauties. Going to sell my HE-500's. I wonder if I should still be looking at the Emotiva mini-x or the Lyr.
Any insight would be appreciated from LFF or anyone else who starts getting these headphones :)

Oct 3, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #55 of 344
  Have you found any nice AMP pairing to go with this beautiful piece of art? I assume I would be looking at good pairings for the HE-5. Not much out there... 
Just pulled the plug on some of these priceless beauties. Going to sell my HE-500's. I wonder if I should still be looking at the Emotiva mini-x or the Lyr.
Any insight would be appreciated from LFF or anyone else who starts getting these headphones :)

You could have a look at the SA-31mk2.

It works very very good with both the 500s and 5LEs.

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #57 of 344

I'd wait for the first batch of 10. With that many going out, there are bound to be plenty of impressions w/different amp pairings.

Oct 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #58 of 344

I've been getting a TON of questions regarding amps and which ones I use.

Here is the honest answer:

I use two main custom amps.

1) Custom: was designed for me by DBel84 and it's a solid state beast. It outputs 85 Watts per channel.
2) Custom: was designed by Alex Cavalli and built by DBel84. It's a Stacker tube amp and it sounds phenomenal.

That's ACTUALLY what I use. You can check my profile for DAC, etc.

As for amps that I would recommend....well...I HIGHLY recommend amps from the following:

1) Craig from Eddie Current
2) Alex from Cavalli
3) Jason from Schiit

All their amps have a magical synergy that I really enjoy with my headphones. Only reason I don't own their products is because I can't really afford them but if you can....get them. All offer exceptional build quality and sound.

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #59 of 344
Quick question regarding the Code-x for you LFF. Do any of your modifications affect the resistance? I am looking at a Lyr or maybe the Emotiva Mini-x but I am afraid that the sub 30 Ohm resistance would cause some noise. Because apart from that it seems to be a great amp that compares well the the Lyr with Hifiman products.

(I know, I know, you JUST posted about your amp recommendations and the first thing i ask is about some other amp ... :p )  

EDIT: Question rendered moot. Bought a Lyr lol. Although still slightly curious.

Oct 12, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #60 of 344
  Quick question regarding the Code-x for you LFF. Do any of your modifications affect the resistance? I am looking at a Lyr or maybe the Emotiva Mini-x but I am afraid that the sub 30 Ohm resistance would cause some noise. Because apart from that it seems to be a great amp that compares well the the Lyr with Hifiman products.

(I know, I know, you JUST posted about your amp recommendations and the first thing i ask is about some other amp ... :p )  

EDIT: Question rendered moot. Bought a Lyr lol. Although still slightly curious.

It should work fine with the Lyr.

I have a friend who used a Lyr with a stock HE-5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back