Referencesounds/LFF's modded HE-5 >Code-X< thread
Sep 5, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #33 of 344
  How does it differ from a HE-6 in terms of sound signature / voicing?

Smoother. Tighter bass. Less sibilance. Better soundstage and separation.

As mentioned earlier, don't think Luis has too many HE-5's left. So if I saw a used HE-5... I'd pick it up pretty darn quick. :)

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #36 of 344
LFF's Code-X & Paradox + Anax 2.0-HD800 will be available to test at European CanJam 20-22 September.

Interested can send a PM as I'm planning to listen and not sit by a table waiting for people to listen to my obscurities. :wink:

Sep 6, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #37 of 344
[fanboy]

For those wondering...

Code-X + ALO Rx-3B is a perfect match.
The level of detail is absurd. I'm hearing reverb and dubbed vocal tracks that I haven't even heard on the M51 + ZDSE + modded HD800.
I'm stunned. It's beyond my understanding how an "old" headphone with some modding materials + a dummy head w/ computer and the mind of Luis can create this.

[/fanboy]

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #38 of 344
I was just asked per PM what I the CodeX sounds like...

Hi xxx!

I'm still baffled by how fantastic the CodeX is...

To be honest, to me it sounds like a mix of the following:

1) Soundstage and instrument placement of the HD800
2) Mids of the HE500/LCD-2r1
3) Bass like 90% of LCD-3

Sounds too good to be true?

1) Don't order them and write me off as a fanboy
2) Order them and thank me later

---

After writing that I think that it should be revised as some information is still missing

-----

Clarification:

The sound stage and instrument placement is not far from the HD800. So my simple phrase above is not 100% correct. Not quite as wide. Not quite as deep. Not quite as high. Wait... so everything is smaller? Yeah, but it's still ridiculously big. However... Instrument pin point placement is somewhat better. Also I'm hearing more layering. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I was hearing reverbs/echoes I hadn't heard before. Some suttle stereo-effects like "Ping-Pong", for those that don't know what it is (in a simplified form it's a tape delay echo that jumps between channels), that previously had gone unnoticed.

I want to add:

4) High's. More prominent compared to Paradox T50RP, thus even more prominent compared to LCD2/LCD3. Less prominent compared to Anax 2.0 HD800. What it however doesn't have is sibilance. I've driven the HE-5's to ear-deafening levels and no sibilance whatsoever. Doing the same with an unmodded HD800, or an LCD-2... There comes a point where you "Ouch". I haven't experienced that, what I however have experienced is realising after a while that... ooops. This volume can not be good for my hearing in the long run. First ever. So be careful... No ringing/sibilance can be dangerous especially with those that listen 3+ hours/day.

It might be the High's that make's me feel it's a tad "slower" than the HD800. I experience more (artificial) transients (over-shoot on square wave response) with the latter. In my opinion this is neither better nor worse, I think it comes down to taste. I suspect that this is linked to the softer vocals I experience with the Code-X compared to HD800.

/V

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #39 of 344
Subscribed

LFF was so incredibly helpful and responsive to my questions that I put a preorder in. 

Sep 25, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #44 of 344
  Are these considered to be "hard to drive"?  I'm guessing they'll sound pretty good off a speaker amp..  What amps are being used with these?

There's only one out in the wild right now. ValentinHogea (who was kind enough to give me his take on the cans), is using a ZDSE and an ALO Rx3-B. He's building a balanced Dynahi as well. I'm hoping to hear his impressions with that pairing as that what I'll be using.

Sep 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #45 of 344
Only one out in the wild? 
eek.gif
   I know there're probably on the way.  Just takes a little while.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back