Reference Quality closed cans?
Oct 22, 2008 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Aimless1

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a problem. My wife loves watching TV with the volume turned up on our surround system (Denon receiver/Klipsch reference speakers). Since I don't watch much TV and my headphone setup is in the same room, I'm having a hard time competing with the surround system with open cans, short of destroying what little hearing I have left. No, I won't be asking her to turn down the volume as her tinnitus dictates the volume she needs. Rather than moving my head amp and cans, and short of turning to IEMs, it seems like closed cans may give me the even playing field I need so that I can listen to my music without having to listen to her TV shows.

Now I've developed a taste for the Grado RS-1 and the AKG K-501. So my taste leans more towards reference quality cans. After searching the forums it seems either the Markl modded D2000 or D5000 and/or the W5000 may satisfy my needs. Perhaps an L3000 if I can find one. Budget +/- $1000 and of course good used cans are always preferred. No point recommending the R10 as it is out of my budget.

In true head-fi fashion, I'd like your opinions as well. Using the RS-1's ability to handle most genres well would be my reference, but I don't need the same sound signature. Your help is appreciated.

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 35
L3000 retailed for $2500 when it was available so that's probably out of your (and most everyone else's) budget. If you like the Grado sound you might want to check out the Victor/JVC HP-DX1000. They retail for just over $1000 on Audiocubes or you can pick one up for around $930 on eBay (new).

They are supposed to be very Grado-like in the PRaT department but with a huge soundstage. Oh, and they are closed back'd too.

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 35
The Beyerdynamic DT250 is supposed to be great and one of the most neutral headphones around so it should handle almost anything well. It is way under your budget though so you probably wanted to spend more. The W5000 or D5000 are probably great too but im not sure if they would be good for all genres of music. All are probably very different from Grados though.

Ive read the W5000 is finicky with amps and getting a good seal though. The D5000 can be too bass heavy for some as well.

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #4 of 35
You might also like either the ATH-W2002 or ATH-W11JPN if you can find them.

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #5 of 35
i'm in a similar situation in that i don't want to hear my roommates arguing or the tv which seems like all that they ever do.

you seem like you're more open to other sounds, but the rs-1 is really the only fone that i truely enjoy. only reason i got rid of them is that they leak too much sound and were uncomfortable.

i have audio technica w10vtg on the way as they were reported to sound similar to rs-1. i avoided the w11jpn due to impressions of being 'really warm and rich' which raised flags for me of being boring. i'm actually worried that the w10vtg might be too polite from how people describe it.

while i really liked the treble of w2002, the rest wasn't to my liking, it was also a tad slow. the w5000 i avoided as theyre said to be thin and analytical which i already have (beyer dt931 but they're open)

i have yet to find a closed one that i could ever live with, hopefully that changes when the vtg arrives. maybe you'll have better luck...

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #6 of 35
W5000 are very nice, but isolate no better than open cans.
Denons are okay, but in the end I liked K271S better, which btw can fit your needs just fine without breaking a bank, make sure to get velour pads though. Not sure if you can find better phones with similar isolation, may be ED9, but these as other Ultrasones are too idiosyncratic, so you better audition them first or at least PL750 to get an idea of what this brand is about.

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #7 of 35
Editon 9, stay away from IEM for now, they are not so reference sound as people claim them to be, none of the ones I have heard at least...IMO they serve a purpose and period...
wink.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the higher end Denon have the same isolation (or lack thereof) issues as the D1001s? If so, these would be poor choices for you.

What about that Beyer DT880?

Yes, they are quite poor in that respect. And DT880 is open phones, or as Beyer classifies them - semi-open.

Oct 22, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #10 of 35
As being used to the soundsig of the AKG K-400 and K601, I'm now very happy with the sound of my BeyerDynamic DT150 I needed a closed can too).
One of the best closed cans in it's price range.
I had the D2000, but they doesn't isolate that well. And to my ears, the DT150 sounds better than the Denon.

Oct 22, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #12 of 35
I suggest the Stax 4070...
biggrin.gif

Awesome reference quality closed-back headphone, imo.

[size=xx-small]Click for larger[/size]

Oct 22, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #13 of 35
Denons are out - they don't isolate well and they are certainly not "reference" sounding. I'm surprised people are recommending cans here that are completely the opposite of what the OP wants. I regret I don't personally know of a set of closed cans that have a neutral sound. MB Quart QP 450? I don't know how isolating they are though nor where you can get them nowadays.

Oct 22, 2008 at 10:17 AM Post #14 of 35
how loud is she playing? because closed can will help a little, but shutting you out? K271 isolates pretty well, but still not really enough for a loud environment. maybe i'm just picky though, and it's definitely better than the rs-1...

Can't you give her some closed headphones?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #15 of 35
Lots of different ideas ...
So apparently the Denons don't isolate all that well. Went back and researched more and sure enough, that pretty much rules them out.
I have the Beyerdynamic DT880s. Unless the DT150 and DT250 are superior to the 880s that will rule them out. Edition 9 (surprise recommendation, eh?) would have to be quite the deal to get down to my budget and I'm really not ready to try electrostats, but thanks for the rec.

Forgot about the JVC DX1000 - reviews indicate a warm toe tapping sound (not neutral). Is this right? Isolation.
W5000 - what is the fit issue? Good isolation?

If reference quality sound is impossible with good isolating closed cans in my budget then I would lean toward a more organic fun sound. Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back