Reference Quality closed cans?
Oct 31, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #32 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another vote for the Ultrasone PRO750, IMHO a very worthy closed contender at a reasonable price.

So many cans, so little time and $$$ to listen to them all. Another one to add my "want" list.

BTW, it's been awhile since you recabled the K501s. Are you still happy and would you do it again?

Oct 31, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #33 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another vote for the Ultrasone PRO750, IMHO a very worthy closed contender at a reasonable price.

I agree -- excellent cans.

Oct 31, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #34 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, it's been awhile since you recabled the K501s. Are you still happy and would you do it again?

Thanks for asking.

The UP-OCC (silver/signal, copper/ground) recabled K501 sound just incredible, even with the Bada's V-Caps and the headphone cable itself still breaking in. Last night I listened to Charles Dutoit/the Montreal Symphony perform Ravel's orchestration of Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition." Levels of detail, midrange cohesion and smoothness, bass definition, treble extension and dynamic realism were unparalleled compared to my previous experience with the stock K501.

The K501's are still--and now, even moreso--the undisputed champion for my classical and acoustic jazz go-to headphones! : )

So, in answer to your questions: yes, I am still happy and yes, I'd do it again. (I'm considering a recable for the DT880/2003, eventually!)

Oct 31, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #35 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My solution ended up being the JVC DX-1000.

Sounds like you did a great choice. The HP-DX1000 seems to be quite highly regarded around here...

Congratulations!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back