Reference Quality closed cans?
Oct 22, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #16 of 35
What is reference quality sound? A neutral sound? Beyerdynamic DT48E isolate very well, and very few headphones beat it when it comes down to how neutral the sound is. A completely neutral sound can be a bit boring though IMO ...

I haven't had the chance to listen to the DX1000 yet, but I'll trust Skylab's impression of his DX1000 vs D5000 comparison.

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #18 of 35
Headroom has isolation measurements for many headphones on their website (it's on the right hand side when you look at a particular headphone.) It's rated in dB. They also have a graph that shows how well the headphone in question isolates different frequencies. Very helpful.

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suggest the Stax 4070...
biggrin.gif

Awesome reference quality closed-back headphone, imo.

[size=xx-small]Click for larger[/size]

Watch out, thread killer!
evil_smiley.gif
Being formal, I'll add: Sony MDR-R10, Ultrasone Edition 9, Audio-Technica ATH-L3000.

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
krmathis and majkel are killing me
biggrin.gif

Now if you would just give me a rec I can afford.
L3000.gif

He he, sorry!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I know I stretched the ±$1000 budget a bit with the 4070...

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edition 9 (surprise recommendation, eh?) would have to be quite the deal to get down to my budget and I'm really not ready to try electrostats, but thanks for the rec.

The Edition 9s might be out of your budget, but the Pro 750 or the new Pro 900 wouldn't be.

I would recommend purchasing them from a dealer with a lenient return policy, though, in case you don't like them.

As others have said, however, I don't know that any closed can can really isolate you from a home theater system going all out.

Oct 23, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #23 of 35
Further research shows the DX1000 to be interesting (if not reference). Can't seem to find any info on sound leakage/isolation other than a statement by Skylab that if the volume is turned up a person 10 feet away should not be able to hear you. That seems like some pretty good isolation.

I'll look into the Ultrasones but they seem to be a love them/hate them type of can.

BTW, Home theatre is not going full bore, but it is 2x-3x louder than I would listen to the television at. Open head phones and even the DT880 (semi-closed)just aren't cutting it.

Oct 31, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #25 of 35
My solution ended up being the JVC DX-1000.

I'll be honest. I really didn't expect them to live up to the reviews. But they have. The 1000s have certainly provided the isolation I needed. Much better than anticipated. And the bass ... incredible. Apparently I've been starved for more bass and just didn't know it
smily_headphones1.gif
. But not at the expense of the highs nor the mid range. Seem to have a balanced sound. But I'm no reviewer and I've only had them for a couple of days. I would say these cans are a diamond in the ruff.

So I'm going back to enjoy the music. Great fun with these cans.

Oct 31, 2008 at 10:23 AM Post #28 of 35
those AKG's are not closed. closed is K271, but these are not really reference level cans.

Oct 31, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #30 of 35
DT250s! I prefer its midrange to my DT880s, HD650s, K701s and RS-1s. It is a very good pair of cans. Doesn't look expensive but it is probably one of the best closed cans regardless of price. Actually, it is one of the best cans around, period. Very balanced sound and very musical - keeps you listening to music.

Well, that's my opinion, of course
smily_headphones1.gif
!

Cheers,
cansman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back