Redwine modded iPod vs. 5G Video
Feb 1, 2006 at 12:34 PM Post #16 of 34
Hi Shmuel,
please try the test again using a line out dock. I'm using a Turbo Dock II on my 5g 60GB iPod,RnB mini diamond cable,Ray Samuels Hornet amp and Sennheiser PX 100 headphones and ripping my CD's in Apple Lossless.
The Turbo Dock II over the headphone line out on my iPod is a big difference in sonics. The Turbo Dock II doesn't distort the highs like the headphone jack does.
So please order a Turbo Dock II and try the comparison again with the Redwine and 5G. The Turbo Dock II's sell for $24 shipped and are EXTREMELY well made.

Cheers,
Robert

Feb 1, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by robster
Hi Shmuel,
please try the test again using a line out dock. I'm using a Turbo Dock II on my 5g 60GB iPod,RnB mini diamond cable,Ray Samuels Hornet amp and Sennheiser PX 100 headphones and ripping my CD's in Apple Lossless.
The Turbo Dock II over the headphone line out on my iPod is a big difference in sonics. The Turbo Dock II doesn't distort the highs like the headphone jack does.
So please order a Turbo Dock II and try the comparison again with the Redwine and 5G. The Turbo Dock II's sell for $24 shipped and are EXTREMELY well made.

Cheers,
Robert

Can I trade my portable rig for yours please?
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Hi Shmuel,

Cheers,
Robert

Agreed that this is the comparison that we're all looking for. Essentially, the 'best' 4G configuration versus the 'best' 5G configuration.

Feb 1, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #19 of 34
Yes,please do a indepth comparison between a Redwine and a 5G,I'm still on the fence whether I should just buy a 4G send it to Redwine and compare for myself,but I don't have the money now and I can't afford to keep both iPods,one of the two would be sold off.
I am happy with what I have,I know the grass is always greener,yada yada. But really knowing for sure is killing me.
Heck-o- rama,Microsoft will probably come out with a player that beats everything in sonics.
Heck go to Walmart buy a apple dock if you don't have one and do the camparison with the apple dock and afterwards take the dock back. My Turbo Dock II to my ears sounded as good as the line out on the apple dock I had,but i took it back to Waly-mart. I didn't need both.

Cheers to all!

Robert

Feb 2, 2006 at 9:08 AM Post #21 of 34
Well, you can PM Turbo and ask him to make a Turbo Dock II for you. He's a member of this forum.

Feb 3, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #24 of 34
Since the 4G can be modded by Vinnie and the 5G cannot, I don't consider his comments to be worth taking account of. And this is not a direct insult against him, but rather, a comment based on basic human psychology - audio is so subjective and Vinnie is inherently biased on this aspect, whether or not he thinks he is or not.

Feb 3, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #26 of 34
Hey Guys,

Sorry for not posting sooner....I just finished a big move and have been busy unpacking and setting up shop.

I actually have sucessfully performed the iMod on an iPod Video, but it was far more difficult and time consuming that I decided not to offer it (it would be too expensive and time consuming and I have many other products to build and mod and not enough time). The internal layout of the iPod Video is a lot different and tapping the signal off of the dac is a serious PITA! Modding the 4G iPod is already a PITA, but the 5G is at least 10x the PITA!
rolleyes.gif

After the iMod, the modded 5G sounded very similar to the modded
iPod Photo (4G), but I still preferred the sound of the iPod Photo's dac (WM8975)....it sounded a little less analytical and a little more sweeter in the top end. Both had adequate burn-in time on the Black Gate caps (> 200 hours).
They were still very close sounding and this is a matter of taste.

Also, keep in mind that ALL my comments are with respect to using the modded line-out and NOT headphone outputs. I use the line-out to feed a home audio 2-channel rig, or you can feed it to a headphone amp but not directly to a pair of headphones.

Regarding the stock 4G and stock 5G line-outs, I found them to sound very similar. The headphone output of the stock 5G is supposed to sound better than the stock 4G (less rolled off bass, but I never too interest in the built-in headphone outputs).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shmuel
So? is one better than the other?
i have to say that there is NO contest..........the 4g red wine modded ipod is far superior in every regard, and not by a small margin, to the new 5g ipod

If i can get the proper adapter, i will run the 5g with the line-output vs the 4g red wine.....maybe closer to eachother in quality, though hard to imagine with the truly huge difference it would have to overcome

hope this helps some make some decisions
i am amazed by the quality of sound from the 4g modded ipod
(as i am by the improvement in sound, again in all areas, found with brand-new RnB interconnect)

I totally agree with Shmuel, but keep in mind that the stock 5G line out to the iMod 4G really is not a fair comparison. The iMod has the advantage of a much cleaner signal path from the dac to the output:

Signal path of iMod:
DAC chip > Black Gate NX Hi-Q caps > output jack (1/8")

Signal path for stock 5G:

DAC chip > stock SMD coupling caps > opamp stage (with resistors in the signal path to set the gain) > stock coupling caps (again), ribbon cable connector, ribbon cable, ribbon cable connector (again), tiny board traces to run down towards the dock connector > series SMD inductors > series resistors (I believe 100 ohm...possibly for short circuit protection?) > dock connector pins > dock connector adapter (ex. Turbo dock II)

Lastly, K2Grey's comment about me being biased is correct and I can't argue with that
icon10.gif
I know which one sounds better to me and this is a matter of personal taste in sound and system synergy. The system that is being used must also have the capability to resolve the differences as well...

Regards,

Vinnie

Feb 3, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #28 of 34
So is this redwine moded iPod able to compete say a EMU sound card or a Meridian source player?

Feb 3, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Thanks Vinnie,for the very informative post. O.K. sounds like I need to get a 60GB 4th Gen. photo,Circuit City has one new for $399 OUCH! it was $349 or maybe $299 around Christmas,but I hesitated and now the price has gone back up to $399. I'll try and haggle with the mgr.

Thanks again,

Robert

Hi Robert,

Here is a better deal:
http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/de...pno~759921.asp

I'm sure there are other places online that have them even cheaper....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back