Redwine modded iPod vs. 5G Video
Dec 31, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 34
I don't think the DAC is the main source of the better sound quality of the iMod, I think the fact is that the iMod would sound better because Vinnie is running the line-out from the 2 high-quality capacitors that are directly attached to the DAC, rather than having the signal running though tiny PCB traces to some cheapo capacitors.

Dec 31, 2005 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 34
I don't think its even close?

Jan 1, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 34
We compared the line out from my 5G (using the dock, not a mini connector) to the Red Wine on a 4G. We went into a Grado HPA-1 (the original big black Grado amp) and into Senn 580s. It was very close. My friend felt the 4G sounded better, but there wasn't a major difference. I wasn't sure I could tell the difference at all, maybe with more extended listening I would have been able to, but it was so close it didn't matter to me.

I'm planning on comparing the line out via the connector adapter vs. the dock, but haven't gotten around to that yet (the dock allows you to change the volume from the remote, the adapter doesn't, so they could be different - or the dock's just smarter in how it talks to the iPod).

We'll probably repeat the test with Grados RS-1s and Sony 5000s as well, but I'm not expecting a major difference between the iPods even with those.

The Red Wine is a great mod on a 4G, since the 4G output electronics are very weak, but the 5G is a huge improvement in that area over a stock 4G and sounds great.

BTW - on the subject of 4G vs 5G, the headphone output of the 5G is also a massive improvement over a 4G - with UEs and Sony MDR-V6 cans we heard distortion on some solo piano through the 4G, but not the 5. Also, and this is really apparent with cans like V6s or Sporta Pros, there's much more headroom and punch through a 5Gs headphone compared to a 4G.

Jan 1, 2006 at 12:28 PM Post #5 of 34
I was comparing the iMod to the 5G iPod headphone-out. Really after the iMod this is how both DAPs are stock.

Jan 2, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #6 of 34
I'm new to this Ipod thing,I just want good sounding portable audio. I was sure I would have to take my 5G video 60GB iPod back to Best Buy,eat the 3-yr. extended $60 warranty and buy the new unused open boxe 60GB 4G photo @ Circuit City for $299 and send it off to RedWine. So it sounds like I should just hold onto my 5G,I can't afford 2 Ipods. and if the difference isn't a big one,I'll hold pat.

Cheers and many thanks!

Robert

Jan 29, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #8 of 34
I'm really enjoying my Red Wine modded 60 gb Photo however I've never heard a stock 5G lineout.

Has anyone else done a critical comparison of the two lineouts? If the difference is barely discernable then the 5G makes more sense.

Jan 29, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #9 of 34
Not going to discount gordie's impressions, but there are members here who have had alot of time with the mod and have concurred there is no contest that the redwined 4g is the best possible sound out of a dap short of going the microdac route.

This of course wouldn't be the case without proper downstream equipment and well encoded lossless or just straight up wav files.

Don't jump to any conclusiosn just yet, i suggest asking people with experience here to chime in...

Jan 29, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
I was comparing the iMod to the 5G iPod headphone-out. Really after the iMod this is how both DAPs are stock.

However, you're comparing a line out to a headphone out. There's no reason to do that when the addition of a PocketDock or TurboDock or Sik will give the 5G a line out as well. To compare a line out to a headphone out is sorta like comparing a DAC to an amp.

Jan 29, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by robster
I'm new to this Ipod thing,I just want good sounding portable audio. I was sure I would have to take my 5G video 60GB iPod back to Best Buy,eat the 3-yr. extended $60 warranty and buy the new unused open boxe 60GB 4G photo @ Circuit City for $299 and send it off to RedWine. So it sounds like I should just hold onto my 5G,I can't afford 2 Ipods. and if the difference isn't a big one,I'll hold pat.

Cheers and many thanks!

Robert

Get a TURBO dock II for your 5G Video iPod and you'll be set. No need to rethink it after that.

Jan 30, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by robster
Thanks,I do have a Turbo Dock II and RnB mini cable,loving it w/my Hornet amp. I liked the Turbo Dock II so much I bought another for a spare. Also I'm going Apple Lossless.

Cheers,
Robert

Ya mon, you're set. Enjoy the music and don't look back.

Feb 1, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #15 of 34
i became interested in this post as i now have both 4g red wine modded ipod, as well as a 5g 30gb ipod
i am using the SR71 amp and the RnB black diamond mini interconnect
headphone is the sennheiser px100 (awaiting the akg701)
i used the headphone-out jack of the 5g

So? is one better than the other?
i have to say that there is NO contest..........the 4g red wine modded ipod is far superior in every regard, and not by a small margin, to the new 5g ipod

If i can get the proper adapter, i will run the 5g with the line-output vs the 4g red wine.....maybe closer to eachother in quality, though hard to imagine with the truly huge difference it would have to overcome

hope this helps some make some decisions
i am amazed by the quality of sound from the 4g modded ipod
(as i am by the improvement in sound, again in all areas, found with brand-new RnB interconnect)

Shmuel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back