Recording Impulse Responses for Speaker Virtualization
Dec 4, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #466 of 1,816
@musicreo I have the microphone pretty deep in my ear canal, maybe too much? :D
1607084747128.png

1607084765819.png

@jaakkopasanen I tried now mono speaker setup. The sound sounds OK for me in stereo. Yes I was able to locate the sound pretty well in the HeSuvi test. I will try to do room corection and do another measuring, eventually play with the decay time.

Can the eq.csv to be used also as microphone correction curve?

Dec 4, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #467 of 1,816
1607084747128.png
1607084765819.png

@jaakkopasanen I tried now mono speaker setup. The sound sounds OK for me in stereo. Yes I was able to locate the sound pretty well in the HeSuvi test. I will try to do room corection and do another measuring, eventually play with the decay time.

Can the eq.csv to be used also as microphone correction curve?
The binaural microphones get calibrated when you do headphone compensation. Using eq.csv would double the correction. Don't do it it.

Dec 4, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #468 of 1,816
I mean calibration of the frequency response, because when you look on my previous screen where I compare my DIY mic with Omnitronic (which should be calibrated) there is difference in high tones.

Dec 4, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #469 of 1,816
I mean calibration of the frequency response, because when you look on my previous screen where I compare my DIY mic with Omnitronic (which should be calibrated) there is difference in high tones.
my intuitive guess:
You'll use the binaural mics to capture the FR of both the headphone and then the room(ideally while keeping the mics in the same place in your ears). The app will work with the delta between the 2 measurements to decide what must be sent to the headphone. So the actual FR of the mic itself is pretty much irrelevant(up to a point I imagine). If you compensated somewhere by +3dB, those +3dB would come in both measurements(room and headphones) and would ultimately also be cancelled out when using the delta between those measures.

Dec 4, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #471 of 1,816
my intuitive guess:
You'll use the binaural mics to capture the FR of both the headphone and then the room(ideally while keeping the mics in the same place in your ears). The app will work with the delta between the 2 measurements to decide what must be sent to the headphone. So the actual FR of the mic itself is pretty much irrelevant(up to a point I imagine). If you compensated somewhere by +3dB, those +3dB would come in both measurements(room and headphones) and would ultimately also be cancelled out when using the delta between those measures.
True, but it has also function to make FR compensation of the headphones. But on the other hand I can do this always with REW and just add the correction to APO EQ.
@castleofargh explained it well. However it's important here to understand that the measurement for room correction shouldn't be done using the binaural mics but instead a calibrated measurement mic like MiniDSP UMIK-1. room-mic-calibration.txt (or .csv) can be used to feed in the room measurement mic calibration data. If you use binaural mics for room correction measurement, then the inverse of the mics' frequency response will be added to the BRIR output. With headphone compensation, this would be the second binaural mic FR compensation so it must be avoided.

So there are three different measurements:
1. Headphones, using binaural mics in ears and playing test signal with headphones
2. Binaural room impulse response, using binaural mics in ears and playing test signal with speakers
3. Room acoustics, using calibrated measurement microphone and playing test signal with speakers

When castleofargh said "room" he was talking about number 2, not 3.

Dec 4, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #472 of 1,816

That looks very good.What are you using for mounting the capsule?
For me the Primo capsule is already to big so it only fits tilted into the beginning of my ear canal. But the WM-61A is even bigger (5.8mm,2mm compared to 6mm, 3.4mm). I always had the problem to find a proper position of the mics that does not change during measurements but with the wire construction it works very well for me.

The WM-61A have a SNR of 62db while the Primo have 74db. I also read that the WM-61A have audible noise in records. I don't know if this is a problem for Impulcifer?

Dec 4, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #473 of 1,816
If you use binaural mics for room correction measurement, then the inverse of the mics' frequency response will be added to the BRIR output. With headphone compensation, this would be the second binaural mic FR compensation so it must be avoided.

Does it really make a big difference? I limit the room correction to 750Hz and the binaural mics have more or less the same frequency response (the red curve is the Behringer EMC999) as the measurement mic up to some kHz.

neugggg.png

Dec 4, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #474 of 1,816
Does it really make a big difference? I limit the room correction to 750Hz and the binaural mics have more or less the same frequency response (the red curve is the Behringer EMC999) as the measurement mic up to some kHz.

neugggg.png
It doesn't if the mics have a flat frequency response. The Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2 have bass roll off: https://imgur.com/a/9YzJtwx

Dec 4, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #476 of 1,816
That looks very good.What are you using for mounting the capsule?
For me the Primo capsule is already to big so it only fits tilted into the beginning of my ear canal. But the WM-61A is even bigger (5.8mm,2mm compared to 6mm, 3.4mm). I always had the problem to find a proper position of the mics that does not change during measurements but with the wire construction it works very well for me.

The WM-61A have a SNR of 62db while the Primo have 74db. I also read that the WM-61A have audible noise in records. I don't know if this is a problem for Impulcifer?

I use rubber "seal" from in-ear headphones :)
1607096756483.png
1607096765969.png

Dec 5, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #477 of 1,816
Hey there,

can you use Impulcifer to match two different headphones, as well?
Can it match both frequency and (linear) phase response from A to B? And will it include crossfeed between the ears (LL+LR / RR+RL)?

Would welcome your response. :)

Regards
Strangelove

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #478 of 1,816
Hey there,

can you use Impulcifer to match two different headphones, as well?
Can it match both frequency and (linear) phase response from A to B? And will it include crossfeed between the ears (LL+LR / RR+RL)?

Would welcome your response. :)

Regards
Strangelove
Impulcifer cannot do this. The best would be to use AutoEq for the task. The phase responses with AutoEq are minimum, not linear, because headphones are minimum phase devices and therefore the adjustments to frequency response should be done with minimum phase filters. Using minimum phase filters will simultaneously correct the phase response of the headphone because in minimum phase systems the frequency response and the phase response are coupled. The same also happens when the acoustic engineer changes the headphone's tuning with acoustical or mechanical means.

Dec 7, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #480 of 1,816
I encountered a problem
The position of the sound is not accurate

Because my ears are inconsistent left and right, I have to adjust the delay to listen to the speakers or headphones to enjoy the stereo.

But after using impulcifer, it will cause the low frequency to shift to the left, mid to high frequency shift to the right, and even if the delay on the left and right is adjusted, the stereo sound cannot be normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back