Reconfirming my choices for my preferences
Jan 17, 2011 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Zurgace

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-fiers,

I know that there is a dedicated thread for helping those who are looking for the "right" headphones. I'm just here to reconfirm my headphone choices. A bit of background on me: I bought a Fiio e9 and e7. I listen to Classical music and Jazz, so I purchased the AKG K702. I am also into Hip-hop, Rock, Techno, and mainstream music. The following are the headphones I chose and I will explain why I chose them.

1. Grado SR225i: I was searching through the internet about the Grado sound. The comment that shows up the most is that Grados are great headphones for Rock music. I listen to bands like Franz Ferdinand, Oasis, Muse, Modest Mouse, Guns and Roses, Jimi Hendrix, Sublime, Linkin Park, and Santana.

2. Sony MDR-XB1000: I know that these headphones are not out yet. I used to have the Sony MDR-XB700 before I found out about the MDR-XB1000 a week later. Assuming that the MDR-XB1000 are an upgrade from the MDR-XB700, I decided to wait for them. Using the MDR-XB700 as the standard, would have the XB700s been perfect for me? I listen to Deadmau5, Daft Punk, Benny Benassi, Roman Flugel, and Datsik for Techno and Dubstep. I also listen to Lupe Fiasco, Kanye West, T.I, Chris Brown, Jay-Z, Justin Timberlake, Timbaland, Little Wayne, Kid Cudi, and N.E.R.D for Hip-hop and other mainstream artists. 

If the community has other opinions for me, then please tell me. I am limiting my purchase to two headphones, one for Rock and another for Hip-hop and Techno, with a budget of $200 max, but of course I do not want to pay $400 overall. If there's something cheaper and better than the two I have chosen, then please post it!

note: I have never listened to a pair of Grados yet, but please do not recommend me another pair of Grados that are lower on the chain because I may or may not like the sound. My gut tells me I will enjoy the sound.

Jan 17, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 7
A few more options for you to consider:

Ultrasone HFi 580, HFi 780, PRO 750

I think you'll find that the Ultrasones excel in both hip-hop and rock music.

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for replying guys. 

I believe that the M50s, or the ultrasones have enough bass for me. When it comes to Hip-hop, Techno, and mainstream music, I turn into a bass-head. How are the ultrasones with rock? Are they similar to the Grados?

Right now, I need a re-affirmation if my choices in headphones can bring out the best in my choices of music. So if anybody who owns the Grado sr225i can verify for me, that would be great. As for the un-released MDR-xb1000, if someone can either convince me that another headphone is better than the MDR-XB700 in terms of bass and still under $200, or convince me to wait for the xb1000 or to convince me to buy back my xb700 (or xb500) that would be awesome as well. 

Jan 20, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #5 of 7
i got the sr225i in december and ive got to say...i couldnt have been happier. for "rock" music i would say nothing beats em. The guitar tone on this headphone is unbelievable also the vocals really shine...you have to listen to it to believe it....gnr, hendrix, santana will sound heavenly on these....

if ur budget is around $200 for a headphone i would say the sr225i is the best choice for you, and the best bang for buck. i havent heard the other grados but the entry level grados are also very good vfm so its upto you...if u can audition before buying...
but for rock esp i would say classic rock is where grados shine and i dont think u'll regret buying these. also watever jazz music ive heard on the grados sounds good[miles davis, mingus, coltrane, monk].. the soundstage is not as great as it could be but then its not bad or anything like that. but then grados are made for a more upfront sound..i quite like how the wind instruments sound on these phones...

i cant say about hip hop and classical cause i dont really listen to any but i guess thats what the other headphone is for :)

Quote:
Thanks for replying guys. 

I believe that the M50s, or the ultrasones have enough bass for me. When it comes to Hip-hop, Techno, and mainstream music, I turn into a bass-head. How are the ultrasones with rock? Are they similar to the Grados?

Right now, I need a re-affirmation if my choices in headphones can bring out the best in my choices of music. So if anybody who owns the Grado sr225i can verify for me, that would be great. As for the un-released MDR-xb1000, if someone can either convince me that another headphone is better than the MDR-XB700 in terms of bass and still under $200, or convince me to wait for the xb1000 or to convince me to buy back my xb700 (or xb500) that would be awesome as well. 

Jan 20, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #6 of 7
Go for the Ultrasone HFI 580. They have alot of bass impact and they have a very upfront soundstage. There are threads on them.

$125 on Ebay new. Cheaper used. Regardless of how much it costs, you'd be hard pressed to find another headphone that can punch the amount of bass that it can and still retain all the detail it does.

Jan 20, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #7 of 7
I listen to classical and jazz a lot also and i'd suggest a hfi680. better than the 580 and proper bass (not too much as with the hfi 780). THey are very versatile and did great when I owned them with post-rock and electronic music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back