Recommended tips for DBA-02
Dec 29, 2010 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

silentlight

New Head-Fier
I find the stock tips reasonably comfortably, but I was wondering if there were better after-market options in terms of comfort and better sound?  FYI- I use the small tips at the moment.  Thanks.

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 34
I personally found the small triple flange tips from Etymotic to work the best. That's just me though... I do have a pair of ear that seems to embrace these triple flanges a little too well.

Dec 29, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 34
I have the Klipsch oval shaped double flanges. They are very good for me. I have no idea where to get them cheaply. From Klipsch, they are expensive. It looks like you order 4 pairs of one size for $14, but if you don't know what size is good for you, you are guessing. I use the large bi flanges.

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/exclusive-oval-ear-tips-overview/

Dec 29, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #5 of 34
I prefer Shure grey "soft flex" silicone tips (same size as the best fitting OEM tip) for best sound, comfort (I've used them for 4-6 hours at a stretch), and they're much more secure on the nozzles than OEM tips. According to the Sensaphonics seal test, I'm getting a good seal with equal volume in bass (50 Hz) and mids (500 MHz).

Many like triflange, either as-is or modded by cutting off the smallest flange. Those didn't work for me, but I've got 5 pair of the Shure biflange available FS. These seem to be identical to modded Ety triflanges, except the nozzle tube is much longer, so that it can be trimmed to the best length for the nozzle and your ear. One pair have already had the tube shortened by 1/8". I also have a single pair of the Ety tri-modded-to-biflange FS. PM me if you're interested.

Dec 29, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 34
I'm using some Comply TX-100 (small) tips at the moment and they are perfect for me
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #7 of 34
Thanks for all the replies.  I know I definitely prefer smaller sized tips, and the triple flange tips that came with the DBA's don't stay in.  I guess I could try cut off a piece too.  The Comply TX-100 sound interesting since they are made of memory foam.  BTW--are all of you using these tips with your DBA?

Dec 30, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #10 of 34

Quote:
I have the Klipsch oval shaped double flanges. They are very good for me. I have no idea where to get them cheaply. From Klipsch, they are expensive. It looks like you order 4 pairs of one size for $14, but if you don't know what size is good for you, you are guessing. I use the large bi flanges.

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/exclusive-oval-ear-tips-overview/

Yep I use the smallest klipsch double flanges for a very deep insertion.

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #11 of 34
I have a question about the triple flanges as well. I get by far the best sound with them(great bass, no sibilance, good soundstage, fantastic isolation). The problem is that they don't stay on the stem too well and too often I'd pull out the headphone without the tip. Does the Ety triples stay on better? If so where can I buy them? Thanks!

Feb 7, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #12 of 34
Ety triples can be purchased from Ear Plug Superstore.

I found that the Ety stem was so short that the tip had to be pushed far down the nozzle to stay in place. An alternative that might work is the Shure tips, which have a very long stem that is meant to be trimmed to fit your IEM nozzle.

I have five pair of the Shure double flange version (same as Ety tri's with the small flange cut off) that I'm not using and would be happy to sell. One pair has had the stem trimmed in length, others are unused.

Feb 7, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #13 of 34
I don't find anything wrong with pushing the Ety's triple flange tips to the base. In fact, they are quite comfortable (to me that is) in that manner.

Feb 8, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #14 of 34
Can't believe anyone can stand using the stock tips; they are like the worst stock tips I have even seen. Ety triple flanges massively improve the sound quality and isolation of the DBA-02 and gets my vote.

Feb 8, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #15 of 34
The small stock tips provide me with the best sound and they are fabulously comfortable and so easy to get a proper fit. Just stick them in my ears and push them in, no effort required. The triflanges also sound as good but are a lot lless comfortable and when I pull the earphones out the tips are left stuck in my ears. I've tried the Comply TX-100 and they sound pretty good too- the sound has a slight bit more texture to it, and isolation is superb, but the soundstage and airiness are sacrificed. And they lose their elasticity fast in the tropical weather over here. And you have to squeeze them yucky things before you insert them. And you need to wait a few seconds for them to expand. And you probably need to replace them once every month or two. Are all foamies like this? No thanks. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back