Recommended heaphones for me
Dec 6, 2010 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Swedish

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, first time posting here, total noob and don't know a whole lot about headphones:).

Recently, my sennheiser HD 457's broke after about 4-5 years and I'm on the market for a new pair.  I absolutely LOVED the old pair, but thinking I might upgrade further.

I want over ear ones, I use them on my computer, I listen to music and play video games on them (type of music I listen to is a bit of everything, most of the time trance/hardcore/nrg/house, bit of rap and rock in there too).  Looking for a good pair of headphones, don't want to pay more than 200-300.  I was looking at the Sennheiser HD595 as they're selling on amazon for 150 (but I can't buy them LOL, because none of them ship to Australia, anyone know a legit site that ships internationally (oh and I don't buy them in Australia because they are literally more than twice as expensive)).

Anyone have any other suggestions?  Is my first choice a good one?  Thanks for any help guys:).

Dec 6, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
yeah the soundcard etc... just the sound setup. the comp specs won't matter.

Hey man, thanks for the help, here's my sound setup (just basic afaik):

Sound Devices
-------------
            Description: Realtek HD Audio output
 Default Sound Playback: Yes
 Default Voice Playback: Yes
            Hardware ID: REDACTED
        Manufacturer ID: 1
             Product ID: 100
                   Type: WDM
            Driver Name: RtkHDAud.sys
         Driver Version: 5.10.0000.5667 (English)
      Driver Attributes: Final Retail
            WHQL Logo'd: Yes
          Date and Size: 7/16/2008 19:52:00, 4747776 bytes
            Other Files:
        Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
         HW Accel Level: Full
              Cap Flags: 0xF5F
    Min/Max Sample Rate: 8000, 192000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 33, 32
 Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 33, 32
              HW Memory: 0
       Voice Management: No
 EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
   I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
               Registry: OK
      Sound Test Result: Not run

---------------------
Sound Capture Devices
---------------------
            Description: Realtek HD Audio Input
  Default Sound Capture: Yes
  Default Voice Capture: Yes
            Driver Name: RtkHDAud.sys
         Driver Version: 5.10.0000.5667 (English)
      Driver Attributes: Final Retail
          Date and Size: 7/16/2008 19:52:00, 4747776 bytes
              Cap Flags: 0x41
           Format Flags: 0xFFF

-----------
DirectMusic
-----------
        DLS Path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\drivers\GM.DLS
     DLS Version: 1.00.0016.0002
    Acceleration: n/a
           Ports: Microsoft Synthesizer, Software (Not Kernel Mode), Output, DLS, Internal, Default Port
                  Microsoft MIDI Mapper [Emulated], Hardware (Not Kernel Mode), Output, No DLS, Internal
                  Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth [Emulated], Hardware (Not Kernel Mode), Output, No DLS, Internal
        Registry: OK
     Test Result: Not run

Dec 6, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #8 of 11
You're probably on the right track with the HD595.

bhphotovideo.com ships internationally, and they carry the HD595. I don't know if Senheisser imposes any sort of export restrictions of their own.

Dec 6, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #9 of 11
is the realtek an on-board soundcard? think that is the on-board sound on my mobo...if it is, why would you want to put a decent pair of cans on this thing? before my audio-technicas came in, i used my sony mdr-xd100's on my new asus sound card and i believe the soundcard upgrade was the most significant difference i noticed. it actually made those not so great sonys and logitech z-2300's bearable.

i have read that the hd595's are forgiving of inferior source and recordings, so i would look into those.

Dec 6, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #10 of 11
Tbh, I'd go for something like a Xonar DX locally and get the Fischer Audio FA-003.

$190 shipped for the FA-003:

http://www.gd-audiobase.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=4&category_id=5&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2&vmcchk=1&Itemid=2

Since it's around Xmas time however (thus higher package traffic), I'd recommend getting a quote for a faster guaranteed service like EMS, FedEX, DHL etc...
It'll cost more however but will be faster and it's a guarantee that it'll be delivered on time.

the HD595 won't suit your music taste.

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
Tbh, I'd go for something like a Xonar DX locally and get the Fischer Audio FA-003.

$190 shipped for the FA-003:

http://www.gd-audiobase.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=4&category_id=5&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2&vmcchk=1&Itemid=2

Since it's around Xmas time however (thus higher package traffic), I'd recommend getting a quote for a faster guaranteed service like EMS, FedEX, DHL etc...
It'll cost more however but will be faster and it's a guarantee that it'll be delivered on time.

the HD595 won't suit your music taste.

Good link man, what does everyone else think?  So far the 595's look great, but I'm def open to your suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back