Recommended headphones for Trance/House/Bass on Ipod Classic
Dec 28, 2010 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Johnathanta

New Head-Fier
I have a 200$ budget
Currently have Shure 750DJ's and Monster Dr Dre Solo HD's on the way
750DJ's are amazingly crisp but don't have that head shaking bass I'm looking for.
Dr. Dre's I've heard regular Solo's at best buy, muddy sound but deffinately the bass I want.

Any recommendations guys?
First post too!!

Thank you
-Johnathan Ta

P.s. I am open to running an amp as well, so, recommendations there also please

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 19
i would reccomend any pioneer akg or grado. i own the same shure dj headphones and i am not impressed. i own some pioneer se m390 headphones that cost me $60 and they sound better then the shure dj headphones which annoys me because i paid 130$ on the shure dj headphones. can you help me out with why they sound so bad.

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 19
i think i need to let them burn in first though. i find they sound really good for techno music but i am a metal music fan and they dont sound very good with music that is not bass oriented.

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 19
Sony XB500, XB700 or Denon D1100 has such bass or Ultrasone HFI-580 with some EQ. You can get FiiO amps cheap, especially E5 for like $20 which already offers some bass boost altough won't work nicely with all headphones (muddens up sound too much). 

XB500 has the biggest bass of the bunch and Ultrasone HFI-580 being closest to your Shure 750DJs. XB700's bass is a bit more deep bass focused which is deep/soft and rumbling and lacks the impact & punch found in the other headphones. XB500 delivers both extremely strong deep and upper bass and XB700 delivers IMO only nicely in the deep bass range but it's in general slightly more clear sounding due to brighter highs (a bit too much for my liking) but the mids are then again more recessed compared to XB500 and I wouldn't concider XB500 sounding muddy either but I haven't heard Beats so I don't know exactly how they compare like but there's been satisfied Beats to XB500 converted owners several times around here though. Denon D1100 has very strong upper bass (similar to XB500) but has somewhat lacking deep rumbling bass. All of them will work fine without an amp, XB500 is easiest driven and sounds possibly worse with a cheap amp as it's already so warm sounding, a colored amp will mudden up the sound for the worse. The others will improve a bit even with the FiiO E5.

I think XB500 or XB700 would please you most, difficult to say which of these you should go for though, some prefer XB500, others XB700. XB500 has similar deep bass capability but also stronger upper bass as well, the overall sound is more warm/forward and mids (vocals especially) are more up-front and highs are a bit smoother while XB700's bass is softer and overall sound signature is a bit less warm/more laid-back and mids a bit recessed and highs are quite (not overly) bright.

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 19
Get an XB500, save yourself some money if it's bass and a fun sound signature ypou're looking for there are very few equals to the XB500 for this.

I own both the Shures and the XB500's and I use my shures more off my Pioneer SA-730 amp which  is way more power then any headphone I have needs but it still sounds amazing. I'd say try to get a reciever or home theater amp at a pawn shop or something.

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #9 of 19
I feel like this should be a sticky for all the bassheads. 
If anyone is considering buying Beats, they should at least be considering the Sonys. 

If you listen to dirty south and drum n bass, then you know that most of the songs
have the bass drum going on constantly between 20Hz and 100 Hz.
Therefore XB-500s are not balanced for this purpose. 
The Beats are probably the best phone for just this purpose. 
It's very difficult for 20Hz to give you that boom.
Therefore, 20Hz should be a little louder than say 60Hz, and will result in the bass sounding "even."
If low, low bass is disproportionately important to you, then get the Beats. 

Problem is they're $250.

The XB-700 will probably be the closest in getting that low bass sound.  
Say someone is trying to teach you how to Dougie.
Nothing is more annoying when that low bass doesn't hit like you expect it to.
If you've never had woofers in your car, maybe you won't know what I'm talking about. 
But the lowest bass should hit just a little bit harder than the other bass frequencies. 

If you know what I'm talking about, then get the 700s.
If you've never had woofers, then the 700s probably won't seem like a better headphone. 
Midrange can always be EQ'ed up.
However, a headphone that doesn't do 20Hz well, won't be fixed with EQ.  

The 500s have the benefit of being cheaper, and probably more all purpose. 
They will be good for listening to Trance or Techno, which just do a continuous drum beat.
Since you aren't really experiencing different bass frequencies, the 700s become less of an advantage.
The 500s may even give you the feeling of more bass as well, but I suspect that the real reason is that it is rolled off the highs.
Therefore, it allows for the 500 to be turned up louder without sibilance, giving the impression that there's more bass.

Conclusion:  This board seems to favor the XB-500 over the 700.  They like feeling of more bass / mids I suppose.
I prefer the 700 because some songs want to hit at 20Hz and when I don't get it, it is really annoying. 
It's down to personal preference, but make sure you are aware of what you're getting.

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #11 of 19
Great post man.
I'm glad you brought up the point about the bass lows on the XB700.
I know what your talking about, but, deffinately don't care for low bass.
I don't want to learn how to dougie....

I want to fall asleep to trance on the subway :)
XB-500's sound ideal for me
Solo HD Beats might have a cleaner sound?

But at 175$ for Beats
and 60$ for XB-500's....

Also, I listen to a  bit of rock/emo on the side
Old School My chemical romance, do you think XB-500's will deliver crisp vocals?

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #12 of 19
I'd concider myself like a basshead that's evolved into really starting to appriciate great mids/vocals as well and yes I do think for this price XB500 delivers vocals extremely well, could be perhaps due to my EQ settings or that my source fits extremely well with this headphone but yes they do deliver very crisp/detailed and forward/up-front vocals for me, more so than the others I've tried, better than AH-D1100 (129 EUR) and ATH-M50 (143 EUR) and DT770 Pro/80 (145 EUR) compared to the XB500 I paid only 43 EUR for, I know there's other options for better mids but those also have a reason or another that doesn't quite fit with my preferred sound signature but XB500 does everything just the way I want it.

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #13 of 19
There's WAY more to this then that graph, especially with the 500 vs the 700's. The Sound signature on those two is different and to quiet a few people the laid back nature of the 700's isn't fitting to the frequency response it gives. I'd like to give first hand experience but I have no desire in spending the money on the XB700's if I am totally satisfied for this by my XB500's.

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
Anyone have opinions on beat's PRO's?
Why the greater $$ tag

Better build quality but the way they are built makes them not clamp enough and so they don''t get a good seal on my head this led to some utter crap sound. I don't know I;m not the one to judge them but the Studio;'s were far superior when I A/B'd them against each other.

I still wouldn't pay $300 for either, I'd rather have D2000's and pocket what I didn't spend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back