Recommended amp for Grados?
Sep 20, 2010 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

matthewh133

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all!

Just wondering, seen as though the Grados are low impedance, do they still benefit from a nice amplifier? If so, which amp should I be looking at to accompany the RS1/HF2 or MS PROs I am looking at getting? Music I listen to is mainly Indie/Rock (Vampire Weekend/The Foals/Kings of Leon etc) and also a fair bit of ambient/post rock (Sigur Ros). Thanks guys.

Sep 20, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 10
Grados do benefit from a nice amplifier even though they are easy to drive. I'd start with the Asgard or Matrix M-Stage, a lot of bang per buck from these amplifiers. I had the Asgard and now have the M-Stage, I like the flexibility of swapping opamps. I am very much enjoying the M-Stage with the RS1, it helps expands the small grado soundstage.

Sep 20, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the replys. Budget is around 500 US. I was looking at the Audio-GD fun with Opa Earth as then I would not have to buy a seperate source and they could also go with my RP8 monitors. The other I was looking at was the Burson HA 160 and WA3/6.. though I'd rather not spend that much if I can help it. If they Audio-GD Fun would be great then that would be the preferred option with the pre amp/DAC and amp. Mainly looking for the best synergy for the Grados for no more than $500 US. Thanks 
smile.gif

Oh and just realized, a fellow Melbournian head-fier. Hey there! You have the HF2's I see, what's your impressions? :p

Sep 21, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #8 of 10
HF-2 are great, but they take some getting used to, when coming from another type of headphone (in my case, Beyerdynamic DT880). The MAD Ear+ HD is said to be one of the best amplifiers for the Grado RS-1 and HF-2. For this reason alone I have not sold it. I love it, but the convenience of Solid State amplifiers (I have the M^3) wins me over. Maybe it is because I have my M^3 in the most convenient place on my desk, I don't know. Nevertheless, I would look into amplifiers like EC/SS, MAD Ear+ HD and Millet MiniMAX. Tubes do better with Grado's than Solid State amplifiers imo. I use my Beyer's a lot more though, so I always use the M^3 again, for convenience. 

Sep 21, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #10 of 10
I really like the sound of Grados from the Purity Audio KICAS Caliente. It gives them just a touch of warmth and makes them feel so lively and fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back