Recommendations on AMP/DAC for Audeze LCD-3
Aug 8, 2020 at 12:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Gregwang

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, this is my first ever post besides the new member introduction post.

I have owned different headphones/earphones in the past: UE900, Westone w40, IE7, IE80, AKG K701, Beredynamic DT 880, Beredynamic Amiron, Sennheiser HD650 (still own), Audeze LCD-3 (still own), etc.

I am currently selling some of my gears (amps/DACs) to downsize my collection to just one DAC/Amp combo.

What are your suggestions for a end-game amp/dac combo? I have a Schiit Bifrot 5 Gen with Multibit in hand, should I sell it?
My budget is anything <$3000 for the total cost.

I have been eyeing the Burson Conductor 3XR. What do yall think?

Aug 8, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #2 of 4
Hi,

Endgame probably starts a lot higher for most people but you can get a very nice setup for around the 3000 - 3500 range

Violectric V280/281 + RME ADI-2 DAC FS (2nd edition) or Mytek Brooklyn DAC+. The RME has parametric EQ and a lot of other tweaks (but seriously, not gimmicks) and the Brooklyn has MQA. I couldn't find everything in one DAC so bought them both. Alternatively the V281 can be bought with a DAC addon card. Note: until the new V590, Violectric DACs didn't do DSD.

Bryston and GSX mini headamps have a lot of fans and there are plenty of custom tube amps in the price range. Bryston also makes a DAC and other gear. Benchmark DAC3 comes in a few variants but one has a headamp. I believe the Benchmark does DSD but only DSD64.

I can't decide whether the LCD-3 needs much amp or not. For example the RME drives LCD-2C really well. I didn't have much time on my LCD-3 before I got stuck away from home on a business trip. I don't like the specs on the Burson but I have not heard it.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #4 of 4
Hi @Gregwang . I didn't mean to minimize your desired setup. I don't have a high end setup and yet I still enjoy it a lot. If you read the high end forum you will find guys spending 15 thousand on an entry level DAC...

For the money the Burson doesn't have very good S/N ratio and also the power curve doesn't seem to have been developed to be useful. It looks more like marketing. For example nobody needs 7.5W/channel at 16 ohms. The power is already down far below 1W at 300 ohms so I would not expect it to work optimally with 300 ohm Sennheisers or 250/600 ohm Beyers. I also don't like gear that needs a wall A/C adapter at this price point. It is good if there is a provision for providing DC power but it should have an onboard PSU. One thing I did like is the weight is said to be 5 kg which indicates a solid build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back