Recommendations of Portable AMP for AKG N40 under $100
Jun 30, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #16 of 29
I'm not sure if your concern was you can't plug the Dragonfly Black into your phone or that it draws power from your phone but to clarify the Dragonfly Black does work with all Android's that support OTG and will draw power from your phone.

Another option is the First E17K you mentioned. However the DAC section isn't actually fully supported by all Android phones and it is a discontinued product.

Yup my concern was if i can't plug the Dragonfly Black into my phone to draw power. I guess i have to buy an OTG to be able to use it. If you compare the two, would the Dragonfly Black be a better choice? Also, i see that theres no buttons or anything on the Dragonfly Black, does it just auto optimize the sound or is there some way for me to change and tweak the sound?

Jun 30, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #17 of 29
Yup my concern was if i can't plug the Dragonfly Black into my phone to draw power. I guess i have to buy an OTG to be able to use it. If you compare the two, would the Dragonfly Black be a better choice? Also, i see that theres no buttons or anything on the Dragonfly Black, does it just auto optimize the sound or is there some way for me to change and tweak the sound?
Well you'd have to buy an OTG to use either of them unless you decide to ignore the DAC in the E17K.
To adjust sound on the DF Black you just adjust sound via the volume control on your phone.

Jun 30, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #18 of 29
Well you'd have to buy an OTG to use either of them unless you decide to ignore the DAC in the E17K.
To adjust sound on the DF Black you just adjust sound via the volume control on your phone.
Ah i see. When i mean adjusting the sounds on the Dragonfly Black, i meant like adjusting the bass, etc. Im guessing it just auto adjust and optimizes to the best sound or something.

Jun 30, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #19 of 29
Ah i see. When i mean adjusting the sounds on the Dragonfly Black, i meant like adjusting the bass, etc. Im guessing it just auto adjust and optimizes to the best sound or something.
The DFB doesn't have a built in EQ. If you're using Android then the Neutron Player has a good built in EQ that you can use.

Jun 30, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #21 of 29
Ah i see.. That is a make it or break it for me as i use spotify for my android phone. Do you have another recommendation other than the Dragonfly Black with EQ and portable as well?
E17K is the only one I'm aware of in that price range. If you use spotify maybe try VIPER4ANDROID if you have your phone rooted. It's a system wide EQ.

Jun 30, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #22 of 29
E17K is the only one I'm aware of in that price range. If you use spotify maybe try VIPER4ANDROID if you have your phone rooted. It's a system wide EQ.
We'll looks like Dragonfly Black isn't for me since i dont wanna root my phone :frowning2:. I can probably add an extra $50, do you have any other recommendation under $150 or even $200? I know it's off topic but i just wanted to know if there is any in that price range and if there's non then ill probably go for the E17k.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #23 of 29
Looks like i need to root my phone in order to use busy box which is needed for Viperbox. I can probably add an extra $50, do you have any other recommendation under $150 or even $200? I know it's off topic but i just wanted to know if there is any in that price range and if there's non then ill probably go for the E17k.
Maybe a newer Fiio DAC/Amp then? The only others one that is portable that I can think of is the HA-2 but you'd have to find one used since it retails for $300. Though in my opinion, the EQ thing is sort of a gimmick anyways. It's has 2 settings to adjust, treble and bass. Not exactly the finest of controls. I have the Fiio E07K which has the same features as the E17K and not once have I used it's EQ, it's not very useful. A parametric equalizer is much better.

Jun 30, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #25 of 29
Ah i see. So the Blackdragon Fly is a parametric equalizer? If anything, im going between the Dragonfly Black and Fiio E17k. When you said a newer Fiio DAC/Amp, which one is the best out of them all($200 or under)?
No I'm saying you can use software to set a parametric equalizer. It's much more precise than what's on the E17K.
Also to correct my earlier statement that the E17K is discontinued, I mixed it up with the E07K. The E17K is still in production. Fiio only has 2 battery powered DAC/Amp, the other being the Q1. I think the E17K is the better out of the two.

Jun 30, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #26 of 29
No I'm saying you can use software to set a parametric equalizer. It's much more precise than what's on the E17K.
Also to correct my earlier statement that the E17K is discontinued, I mixed it up with the E07K. The E17K is still in production. Fiio only has 2 battery powered DAC/Amp, the other being the Q1. I think the E17K is the better out of the two.
Ohhh okay. Is this E17K different? https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-Extreme-Stereo/dp/B00VET0NZ8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back