Recommendations of Portable AMP for AKG N40 under $100
Jun 29, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #3 of 29
To be honest, i am not even sure. I have to admit, I am new to amps and what i need. As long as i can use it with galaxy s7 and also on my desktop computer, im okay with it. As long as it falls under $100 for being the best portable amp or DAC/amp or whatever you call it in that range, im down for it. Sorry if im a noob at this, i will eventually learn all the details, names, and such later but for now i just need to know whats the best i could get in that price range with the AKG N40 :)

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 29
The AKG M40X are really sensitive. You don't need a DAC/Amp unless you are hearing noise or have an impedance mismatch.

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #10 of 29
It's all good :). I heard from some other people reviewing this product saying to get more power from this IEM's, i need to use some sort of AMP. Would you recommend any portable AMPs under $100 by any chance?
From AKG website,
Sensitivity: 115dB SPL/V @1kHz
Frequency response: 10-40kHz
MAX input power: 10mW

I'm pretty sure if it's max power input is 10mW you don't need an amp...
I don't believe you should trust everything that reviewers say, especially when it contradicts the given specifications but thats just my "skeptical" opinion. Regardless, for under $100 I'd say the Dragonfly Black is a good choice.

Jun 29, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #12 of 29
From AKG website,
Sensitivity: 115dB SPL/V @1kHz
Frequency response: 10-40kHz
MAX input power: 10mW

I'm pretty sure if it's max power input is 10mW you don't need an amp...
I don't believe you should trust everything that reviewers say, especially when it contradicts the given specifications but thats just my "skeptical" opinion. Regardless, for under $100 I'd say the Dragonfly Black is a good choice.

Sorry just looked up the DAC/amp you told me, it looks like this is USB powered. Could you recommend me a portable one that i can carry around outside without needing to plug it in the USB port or computer?

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #13 of 29
Sorry just looked up the DAC/amp you told me, it looks like this is USB powered. Could you recommend me a portable one that i can carry around outside without needing to plug it in the USB port or computer?
What device do you plan on using this with? Mobile phone? You need to plug all DAC into a digital out. It wouldn't be a DAC otherwise and I don't recommend using a standalone amp unless you have a proper line out.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #15 of 29
I was planning to use it mostly for mobile phones.
I'm not sure if your concern was you can't plug the Dragonfly Black into your phone or that it draws power from your phone but to clarify the Dragonfly Black does work with all Android's that support OTG and will draw power from your phone.

Another option is the First E17K you mentioned. However the DAC section isn't actually fully supported by all Android phones and it is a discontinued product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back