Recommendations for Sennheiser HD600
Feb 27, 2011 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Anderosai

New Head-Fier
[Current Setup] : HD600 -> HT Omega Striker 7.1
[Budget]           : $300-500
[Desired Sound]: Neutral ... allows for lower end frequencies but nothing that overpowers one freq over another
[Listening]        : %50 Games , %40 Music , %10 Movies. Multiple genres of music - no favorites.

I've been looking to upgrade. I have had my HD600s for about a two years. In that time I purchased a PS3 and M-Audio AV40s. I sold the AV40s - I really didn't like the sound that they were putting out. I was looking to upgrade to a better 2.0 system but feel that I would have better luck upgrading my headphone setup. I feel it's an easier task to do - I don't have to worry about room acoustics , I have less wires to worry about and less power usage. 

What I'm looking for is something that will last me for a long time. A great bang for my buck system that doesn't hold anything back. I'm all in. If I have to pay for it I'm willing but $500 (including shipping) is my threshold. I have a few questions though :

1. I want to connect my PS3. How would I go about doing this? When I tried to connect it to my soundcard I only received digital              
    noise/static when I started a game and so I had to connect the PS3 audio with the RCA input.

2. Should I be looking at a DAC , AMP , both? Is it even worth looking into upgrading my soundcard...or should I forget about that 
    entirely and go with an external?

3. Does the size of the connection matter? As in will a 3.5mm sound any different than a 1/4"?

I don't know what else to include at the moment. I would just like some help deciding where to go on this.

Thank You.

Feb 27, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 7
If you do not mind shopping foreign designs I recommend this amp / DAC for your needs:

http://www.hideflifestyle.com/music-hall-dac25-2-digital-to-analog-converter.html

I have tested it against both my Headroom Ultra Desktop Amp / DAC and Grace Design m903 and liked the Music Hall 25.2 sound and build quality.  The only problem with the Music Hall 25.2 is that it cannot drive earbuds due to their low impedance.  You can mod the amp section later if this is a problem, but it will certainly drive your HD-600.  That is my suggestions for head amps.

If you are looking into amps in general try looking into Denon and Teac.  They match your sound needs and in my opinion are some of the best amps you can get that are low cost ( compared to Marantz ).

Good luck.

Feb 27, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 7
I'm becoming interested in the NuForce Icon HDP. It's right below my threshold and is described as something that fits my needs perfectly - great bang for your buck , dac / amp / preamp (!) and (while I'm not sure if it would of made a difference) a 1/4" headphone jack. It's all black and is of sturdy construction.

Is this worth it? I don't plan to upgrade after I do find what I'm looking for...at least for a long time.

Also...how exactly are the products reviews on the site? With the list and ratings it doesn't have a link to a review from this site or any others. Is it by user or popularity? I would like to know before using the lists as a resource.

Feb 27, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 7
I have the Nuforce HDP and I just ordered the HD600. I can report later, but driving my Beyer DT880 600 Ohm the HDP is quite good. It's not the best amplifier for those great cans but it's doing a great job considering it's price. I'm also using my Onkyo receiver to drive my Beyers and this is also surprisingly good! It has a wider sound stage and more power than the HDP amplifier but not as accurate and detailed as the HDP. 

Feb 27, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 7
When I do get a DAC / AMP is the soundcard in my computer really necessary anymore? I have an optical out through the motherboard but I will be using the USB connection since I want to hook up my PS3. 

I am also looking at the Maverick. I've reconsidered my budget and the Maverick looks a lot nicer and has more connections. It also allows me to "upgrade" the sound with different tubes.

Mar 2, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #7 of 7
In the end I bought the Maverick with the NOS amp. It has plenty of connections and can be hooked up to an amp if I feel I want to get back into listening with speakers , but for now I'm all for headphones. It will allow me to use my PS3 and PC and it has a nice selection dial. It is upgradeable as well. As long as it works with no problems with my PS3 I'm pretty sure I will be fine. I wanted something that would allow for multiple connections and is of decent quality and the D1 is it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back