Recommendations for my Ultrasone Pro2500 setup please
Aug 29, 2010 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

kortlanda

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for recommendations for a headphone amp to be used with Ultrasone Pro 2500 headphones. The source is a Marantz CD 17 MkII.

Music style is usually on the softer side, singer/songwriter, jazz, blues etc.

I generally prefer tube-like sound, but I'm open for all suggestions. Preferable price level is below $500, new or used.

I have the option to run either a split RCA cable from the outputs from the CD, or to feed the headphone amp from the tape out on my Aloia PST 11.01 preamp. Is there a general recommendation here?

Aug 29, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #2 of 15
Hello kortlanda,

I like the 2500s out of solid state amps.  Have tried them with tubes, tube hybrids, but for them I like the speed of SS.  You can run the amp out of the RCAs from your CD player.  If you have a DAC (Digital To Analog Converter), you can run it with the digital outputs of your CDP as well.

There are many to choose from.  For me, the last few months, for my SS purposes I have been using the C-2 and the FUN from Audio-GD.  The FUN is a DAC, headamp, pre-amp and also has line-in that I use with my ipod.  Many features and drives many cans very well.  You can also swap HDAMs (earth, moon and sun) to tailor the sound to your liking.  Not necessary but many options.
The C-2 is a headamp, pre.  More power than the FUN and again, have not found many cans it does not drive.  Also, HDAM rolling.

http://www.audio-gd.com/PriceList.htm

Good luck

Aug 29, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #3 of 15
GHP v9 does nice with all my headphones including the Pro 900. I haven´t found a better match for my Ultrasones yet.

Sep 7, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #4 of 15
Thank you for your input so far. I've been recommended to look into the Corda amps from Meier Audio. Does anyone have experience with the Swing or the discontinued Headfive with the Ultrasones, or would I need to go for the Concerto?

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #5 of 15
Concerto is FOTM so you will probably end with that one as well :)

I just sold my Head One to another Swede it would be a good choice for tube amp if you can stretch the budget a bit.
Rudistors has a reputation of going along well with Ultrasones as well. Haven´t heard that one but NX-02 was once sold with the 2500 and they are mentioned to be musically coloured rather then neutral if you like that sort of thing. Personally I find it distracting if it´s to obvious. Head One if it colours the sound it at least it does it right.

Sep 7, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #7 of 15
FOTM = flavor of the month : Meaning the latest piece of gear that many seem to like and which tends to be forgotten in a month or so when replaced with a new FOTM

I like the PROline 2500 out of a Rudistor NX02 amp.

Sep 8, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
Concerto is FOTM so you will probably end with that one as well :)

I just sold my Head One to another Swede it would be a good choice for tube amp if you can stretch the budget a bit.
Rudistors has a reputation of going along well with Ultrasones as well. Haven´t heard that one but NX-02 was once sold with the 2500 and they are mentioned to be musically coloured rather then neutral if you like that sort of thing. Personally I find it distracting if it´s to obvious. Head One if it colours the sound it at least it does it right.

Too bad I didn't catch the Head One. From what I've read, it seems to be a perfect match for my taste, and it looks great!

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #9 of 15
i have the pro 2500, and actually i prefer SS than tube amp for them,, but since you like tubelike sound the hifiman ef 5 is your best bet,, i kinda like the sound out of it even tough my DIY SS amp sounds a lot better with pro2500.. but unfortunately i havent had the chance to listen to good SSamp that sounds good with ultrasone other than my amp,, i even had the chance to hear the pro 2500 n rudistor nx-03 combo but didnt like the sound.. the graham slee solo might be a good SS amp for pro 2500 due to its polite sound..

and from my knowing the pro 2500 is kinda revealing and need a good source to sound better,, so if you think your source are not good enough you might want to get a dedicated dac.. theres a lot of good dac out there but i love dacmagic so much with the ultrasone..
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #10 of 15
Also like solid state a bit better for the Pro 900. But the Pro series Ultrasones can surely be aggressive so a tube amp is very handy to take some edge out of them. But yes primary mode solid state: secondary tube.

Sep 20, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #11 of 15
I thought a tube hybrid sounded best with my old PRO 2500, filling in the slightly recessed mids nicely while providing the current that these low impedance phones love.  Those I tried and liked with them included the Millett Starving Student, Millett portable hybrid from TTJV, and Head-direct EF1.  I did not have the EF5 to try with the Pro 2500, but I'm sure it would be a good choice too.

Sep 20, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #12 of 15
I agree with marroyo.
I like my PRO2500 with my Rudistor.
BTW if you can look for an upgrade cable like the RAL.

Sep 21, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
I thought a tube hybrid sounded best with my old PRO 2500, filling in the slightly recessed mids nicely while providing the current that these low impedance phones love.  Those I tried and liked with them included the Millett Starving Student, Millett portable hybrid from TTJV, and Head-direct EF1.  I did not have the EF5 to try with the Pro 2500, but I'm sure it would be a good choice too.

Like HeadphoneAddict, I love the sound of my PRO 2500 with my Millett Hybrid amps. If you look through f/s section, you can always find few MH amps for sale. There are many variety of MH amps out there. I have maxxed out Millett Hybrid amp and Headroom Millett Hybrid amp.

Sep 22, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #14 of 15
I had the EF1 and the Pro 900 was incredibly bad on it I have to say. It does better on my pure Head One tube amp though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back