Recommendations for Great Stereo Preamp That is Also a Great Headphone Amp?
Aug 17, 2005 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Oski

1000+ Head-Fier
I currently have a McCormack Micro Line Drive going into a McCormack DNA 0.5 Rev. B and B&W P6 speakers. I'm considering getting a preamp/line stage that would have to have top notch performance for my speaker application as well as a top level headphone out. I also have an upgraded Coda for my headphone setup, so the recommendation would have to be better than each of those components in their respective roles. I would also like to keep this under $1K. What are some suggestions? Thanks.

Aug 17, 2005 at 6:32 PM Post #2 of 36
Headamp GS-1?

Aug 17, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 36
I would love to find exactly the same thing. But, I really don't think it exists for under $1,000--not even used. I've been looking for awhile, and it looks to me like $2500 is about what you are going to have to spend to get what you are looking for. Ray Samuels is going to have a new unit called the A-10 which looks like it might do what you want, but no pricing as of the time. Eddie current is also going to have a unit which should meet your needs--but it's going to be over $2,000.

Aug 17, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #5 of 36
Aug 17, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 36
Thanks for the recommendations so far guys!

As for the GS-1, I actually have a Gilmore Lite on its way to me this week, so I'll have to see if I like the Gilmore design and how it works with my phones. However, has anyone posted impressions of how the preamp section performs in a stereo setup?

And oldears, yeah...it's definitely a challenge to find something that will be a top performer in both applications for less than $1K even used. The A-10 seems like it may be a great unit, especially with a passive pre...which is what I currently run in my system. I do appreciate the clarity and transparency of going passive and the McCormack amp was designed for use with a passive unit. I'll have to follow the development and pricing of this unit.

Aug 17, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #7 of 36
IMO it depends what headphones youre going to use it with for the headamp application.

Melos SHA-1 is well within your budget, as would its big bro the Gold (Reference). Melos amps are highly regarded as preamps, and I'll be using mine for that purpose as soon as my new poweramp arrives

Aug 17, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #8 of 36
M3 with pre-amp function would be nice, but I dunno how it would compare to your already great equipment.

Aug 17, 2005 at 7:26 PM Post #9 of 36
Digicom, that Woo unit is very interesting and is very similar to the Cary SLP-50 I had once in my system. For some reason my unit ate tubes (expensive Amperex Bugle Boys) which turned me off of tube audio. It would be particularly tempting though, but only has a single input.

The Melos SHA really seems to hit the spot Nanahachi. What kind of a performance difference can be expected between the Gold Ref or Maestro vs. the 1?

Aug 17, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
As for the GS-1, I actually have a Gilmore Lite on its way to me this week, so I'll have to see if I like the Gilmore design and how it works with my phones. However, has anyone posted impressions of how the preamp section performs in a stereo setup?

Yes, here is a recent thread...
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ht=gs-1+preamp

I use the GS-1 as a preamp in my main system. It does a great job, IMO. The imaging is very focused and the treble has good extension when compared to the NAD 1600 preamp that I was previously using. The GS-1 is essentially a Gilmore Lite with a preamp output, built in power supply, gain switch, 2 inputs, and a better volume pot.

At a recent HeadFi meet, a member set up an A/B switchbox to compare the headphone output of my GS-1 to his Gilmore Lite (stock power supply). Myself, including a couple of other people, could not tell any difference between the two amps.

Aug 17, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #12 of 36
Thanks 00940 for that link. This was of particular relevance since the TLC-1 is very similar to my MLD:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
I dont know of a better preamp at 3-4x the gilmores cost. My McCormack tlc-1 in passive mode is not as good as the gilmore in active mode. The fact is they sound very much alike with their smoothess and transparency, but the gilmore adds the benefits of an active linestage to the presentation; bass, dynamics and a richer tonal balance. I believe the gilmore is also the complete equal of the tlc-1 in passive mode as well. For your money you get an active pre, a passive pre and an excellent headamp that you can adjust to your particular headphone.

The Headamp unit in question is the V2 however. I assume it’d be the same or better on the GS-1?

And Kontai, that speaks volumes about the Lite. I wonder what if any deterioration in sound would be if I used the loop out on the Lite to my existing preamp then? This could possibly tide me over until I figure out which preamp/headphone amp solution I’m going with.

Aug 17, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
I wonder what if any deterioration in sound would be if I used the loop out on the Lite to my existing preamp then?

In theory, there should not be any degradation since the input signal goes out
the loop outs unaltered. I personally did not notice any sonic degradation when I was using it.

Aug 17, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #14 of 36
I have compared the GS1 and the Glite and found quite a difference, YMMV. I can tell which is playing if you give me full control of the volume since I know which characteristics to look for in my GS1. You can search for my review if you need to OP...

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...1+gilmore+lite

Also, I use my GS1 as a preamp. I was about to get a Rotel RC1070 preamp but I realized that my GS1 is just as good if not better due to its discreet and simple nature.

I use a GS-1 as a preamp to my Rotel RB1070 to my Martin Logans.

As a side note, I did have a hard time justifying the $749 cost of a mere headphone amp... however, now that I use it as a preamp... I am completely elated that I got the whole thing for ONLY $749.
biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
As a side note, I did have a hard time justifying the $749 cost of a mere headphone amp... however, now that I use it as a preamp... I am completely elated that I got the whole thing for ONLY $749.
biggrin.gif

LoL...that is exactly my rationale!! I figure heck, it's for both my stereo system and headphone system.

Unfortunately I'm also realizing that the GS-1 only has 2 inputs. I would like a minimum of 3 inputs since I have my CD player, DVD player, turntable, and optionally tuner (since I rarely listen to the radio now).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back