Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
A few more for you to try:

Beth Orton
Lucinda Williams
Holly Cole
Tori Amos
Julie London

I second the Lucinda Williams vote. I can listen to her all day, and I don't even like that kind of music.
I also like Cheryl Crow, and No Doubt. Both are a lot more mellow than say, ... Courtney Love.
Have you listened to Heart? Older stuff, but nice and easy on the ears.

Jul 3, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #63 of 103
stopped at the storage locker looking for david murray, and found badi assad. 1995 chesky. might still be in print. mostly guitar, but she does some singing, in portuguese. a very good mid-range test.

Jul 4, 2004 at 3:01 AM Post #64 of 103
I’ve been on a HUGE Kate Bush kick recently and so I recommend the Hounds of Love album. It’s one of the great masterpieces of 1980s pop, IMO. As much as I like Hounds, I actually prefer the more experimental / avant-garde Dreaming album. I don’t recommend The Dreaming, however, for those just getting into Kate.

Once you hear Kate Bush, you’ll never listen to Tori in quite the same way again.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 5, 2004 at 4:02 AM Post #65 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by haycheng
any more recommendation for Enya and Loreena McKennitt? Anyone else has similiar voice/singing style?

Sheila Chandra

Don't let the fact it's india style prevent you from at least listening to some Amazon clips. Sheila even did a version of Blacksmith (a tune Loreena sings), and has some other Celtic influenced tunes like Lament of McCrimmon.

It's also similar to Enya/Loreena in that Indian and Celtic are both drone based styles.

My quest for a better female vocalist continues, but I've been searching for years now without success.

Jul 9, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #66 of 103
She is certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but you should definitely check out Laura Nyro's work. She is often attributed as being a strong influence on the development of many other women's music, (e.g. Kate Bush, Jane Siberry, Tori Amos etc.). Her music can be challenging for people used to pop-pablum but many find it worth the effort. Her work stands out particularly because she listened only her own inner voice. Often panned by critics and never influenced popular appeal, her work is perhaps more appreciated today than when first released, though it will likely never be "popular".

-Z

Jul 11, 2004 at 1:33 PM Post #68 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Daina Krall

I know there's no point in arguing about opinions, but I can't resist commenting on this.

Earlier I only knew Diana Krall by name. Judged by forums like this, most Hifi people seem to listen to her. So I was very curious about her music and as a couple of days ago I was able to borrow one of her albums, I naturally did. It's the "The girl in the other room".

First thing that comes to my mind is elevator music or background music for restaurants. Her voice is very nice but the music just flows by hardly noticed.

I admit that jazz's really not my genre, but I was expecting a little more groove. Luckily I only borrowed the album and did not buy it.

YMMV.

Jul 11, 2004 at 1:37 PM Post #69 of 103
that's exactly what we like about her actually. her music just doesnt impose on anyone.
wink.gif

and fwiw, GITOR is quite different from her previous albums. i prefer the look of love.
cool.gif

Jul 11, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #70 of 103
I'm not a big fan of "The Look of Love", and IMO it's Krall's weakest effort. Way overproduced and much, much too slick for my taste. If you think that "The Girl in the Other Room" sounds like elevator music I would suggest steering clear of this CD.

I think that Diana is at her best either solo on the ivories or as part of a trio or quartet. That being said, my favorite Diana Krall album is "All For You", on which she covers a lot of Nat King Cole tunes. *Awesome* CD and it's got groove to spare. I'd highly recommend giving it a spin before you write her off your list.

Jul 12, 2004 at 7:31 AM Post #71 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
I'm not a big fan of "The Look of Love", and IMO it's Krall's weakest effort. Way overproduced and much, much too slick for my taste. If you think that "The Girl in the Other Room" sounds like elevator music I would suggest steering clear of this CD.

Totally agree on that.

Quote:

my favorite Diana Krall album is "All For You", on which she covers a lot of Nat King Cole tunes. *Awesome* CD and it's got groove to spare. I'd highly recommend giving it a spin before you write her off your list.

I'd recommend both "All for you" and "Love Scenes", I think those are her two best CD's.

Jul 12, 2004 at 10:37 AM Post #72 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
I'd recommend ..."Love Scenes"...

seconded. imo a welcome bonus is that it's an excellently recorded disc too.

and for all the TLOL detractors here (
frown.gif
), fwiw, TLOL was my first DK disc - it actually started me off on exploring the rest of DK's music.

and where did i first hear it? in an elevator(!)
eek.gif
icon10.gif
wink.gif

Jul 12, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #73 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by rauer
I know there's no point in arguing about opinions, but I can't resist commenting on this.

Earlier I only knew Diana Krall by name. Judged by forums like this, most Hifi people seem to listen to her. So I was very curious about her music and as a couple of days ago I was able to borrow one of her albums, I naturally did. It's the "The girl in the other room".

First thing that comes to my mind is elevator music or background music for restaurants. Her voice is very nice but the music just flows by hardly noticed.

I admit that jazz's really not my genre, but I was expecting a little more groove. Luckily I only borrowed the album and did not buy it.

YMMV.

true jazz folk have no use for her. not that people shouldn't like her work, only that her work is not jazz. i've no idea what it might be: piano pop?

see also: KennyG

Jul 12, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #74 of 103
I think the "true jazz folk" need to get their collective noses out of the air. Diana Krall certainly *is* a jazz musician. Comparing her work to Kenny G. is like comparing The Beatles to ABBA, IMO.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back