recommendations for female music?
Jul 15, 2004 at 10:07 AM Post #76 of 103
Some recommendations:

Sandy Denny - No More Sad Refrains (anthology)
Fairport Convention - What We Did on Our Holidays
Indigo Girls - Rites of Passage
Tori Amos & Kate Bush of course...

Jul 17, 2004 at 9:59 AM Post #77 of 103
Excuse me for not reading the whole thread (will later). My favorite female artists are:

Sarah Mclauchlan (her live CD's very good)
Katie Melua (I love this one)
Norah Jones
Brooke Fraiser (young NZ singer, from where I live, Wellington)
Bic Runga (very pure voice, I like her some times)

Also, non-female or vocal, I like BT who's a DJ who dose ambient electronic, quite relaxing dance music (despite the contradiction).

Jul 19, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #78 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
Has no one mentioned The Sundays? The lead singer Harriet Wheeler has an amazingly sweet, soothing, angelic voice. Check them out - they only did 3 CDs.

I LOVE the Sundays.
600smile.gif
I've listened to them ever since their first CD. Their music is more complex than your average pop band. Very intricate guitar/bass/drum work, especially their first CD. The guitar player (who is also the singer's husband) has a unique, chiming sound that I haven't really heard from anyone else.

My opinion is their first cd, "Reading, Writing and Arithmetic" is their best.

I really hope they make some more music someday. They seemed to have dropped off the face of the earth.

Jul 19, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #79 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
Excuse me for not reading the whole thread (will later). My favorite female artists are:

Sarah Mclauchlan (her live CD's very good)
Katie Melua (I love this one)
Norah Jones
Brooke Fraiser (young NZ singer, from where I live, Wellington)
Bic Runga (very pure voice, I like her some times)

Also, non-female or vocal, I like BT who's a DJ who dose ambient electronic, quite relaxing dance music (despite the contradiction).

haven't really heard much of Katie Melua songs but is she a legitimate artist or riding the Norah Jones carpet?

Jul 19, 2004 at 4:16 AM Post #80 of 103
Most of my favorite artists are Asian (Faye Wong, Gigi Leung, Stef Sun, Utada Hikaru, Matsu Takako, etc), but for english-language singers, I'd have to say Sarah McLachlan is at the top of the list.
biggrin.gif

~KS

Jul 19, 2004 at 4:57 AM Post #81 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by taoster
haven't really heard much of Katie Melua songs but is she a legitimate artist or riding the Norah Jones carpet?

She's a very good artist. More bluesy, which I didn't know if i'd like, but she's actually really good. You won't be sorry if you get this CD (although you should have a listen in the store probably just in case).

Jul 22, 2004 at 1:59 PM Post #82 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by haycheng
any more recommendation for Enya and Loreena McKennitt? Anyone else has similiar voice/singing style?

Some possibilities:
  1. Connie Dover -- especially her album The Border of Heaven
  2. Aine Minogue -- harpist/singer, released two albums under BMG and a few more under BMG and a few more under small labels. It is unfortunate that these albums are not easy finds.
  3. Kim Robertson -- another harpist/singer, very prolific. Her classically inspired harp-playing is wonderful; vocally, she tries too hard to be Enya
    frown.gif
  4. Emer Kenny -- yet another harpist/singer. I think she sings better than she plays.
  5. Kate Price -- For her two albums The Time Between and Deep Heart's Core. Beautiful, wistful voice; sparkling hammer-dulcimer instrumentals.
  6. Meav -- two albums so far. Classically trained voice, too "clean" for my taste, but should be appealing to many.

Quote:

Any good female Chrisitisan song singer?

Iona, definitely; and also Moya (formerly Maire) Brennan, Enya's big sister, whose recent albums have been overtly Christian.

Jul 25, 2004 at 2:06 PM Post #83 of 103
Hi all, thought i might just resurrect this thread to recommend Bebel Gilberto, by Bebel Gilberto.

music-wise.. think smooth, bossa-nova-jazz-fusion (i'm trying my best here..
tongue.gif
), something very contemporary. vocals-wise is where this album shines - something like a latin version of Krall, but with much less detachment, more intimacy and a greater range of expression. and decently recorded to boot!

perfect stuff for a romantic or quiet, rainy evening.
cool.gif

if you would like something more upbeat and more true to the bossa-nova style, try her earlier (and debut) album - Tanto Tempo. i doubt that you'll be disappointed.

Jul 25, 2004 at 2:32 PM Post #84 of 103
Bebel Gilberto's much better than Astrud Gilberto, right? (better be)

Thumbs up to:
Beth Orton
Morcheeba
Man, where's Elizabeth Fraser of Cocteau Twins? You guys nuts?
[edit: ooh OK, someone's got her already....Ivo and Lorelei = my favs
biggrin.gif
]
ABBA's OK too....but they're too pop anyways...hmmm

Billie Holiday
Ella Fitzgerald
Cassandra Willson

(sorry agile_one, not Nina Simone, i wouldn't call her voice, 'er..female..)

..but evidently you guys won't appreciate vocal jazz other than norah jones and diana krall
rolleyes.gif

Edit2: THANKS FalconP! Great music! I'll check them out ASAP!

Jul 25, 2004 at 5:37 PM Post #85 of 103
Since nobody has come up with the neo-soul/r&b cornerstones, here are the ones I love the most.

Jill Scott - Who Is Jill Scott?
Erykah Badu - Baduizm
Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
India.Arie - Acoustic Soul
Angie Stone - Stone Love
Jaguar - Denials Delusions and Decisions

Jul 27, 2004 at 11:31 PM Post #86 of 103
Based on your list, it seems like you might like Dido. I'd suggest listening to No Angel because the second album sounded less original.

Jazz:
Lisa Ekdahl
Kendra Shank Wish
Dave's True Story Sex Without Bodies

Celtic:
Solas (first three albums) / Karan Casey Songlines
Loreena McKennitt (I think someone may have mentioned her
wink.gif
)
Pentangle

Believe it or not:
Madonna Ray of Light with William Orbit. I don't really like Madonna, except for this album.

Jul 27, 2004 at 11:39 PM Post #87 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
I think the "true jazz folk" need to get their collective noses out of the air. Diana Krall certainly *is* a jazz musician. Comparing her work to Kenny G. is like comparing The Beatles to ABBA, IMO.
tongue.gif

don't take my word for it: *buy* the august issue of DownBeat. read the letters. 'nough said.

as has been true for millenia: the clan decides who can join. she ain't jazz.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 28, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #88 of 103
Diana Krall is definetly standards, or vocal jazz. But saying that she's the best female vocalist out there is a different story. There are some vocal Jazz artists that sing with more style and proficiency and are still alive. She's OK for an artist, but I can see how people only listen to her albums (or Norah Jones') and think that she's the best vocalist Jazz can provide. But she isn't *that* bad. So as Kenny G. who ain't bad eaither, just that he isn't Bop or Swing or Fusion doesn't make him a bad artist.

Jul 29, 2004 at 12:58 AM Post #89 of 103
I noticed a few peope mentioned Bjork, and can't help but recommend the vastly under-rated group The Slits. They had a great Bjork-meets-Reggae-meets postpunk sound, and they did it back in the 70s. Truly fantastic stuff. I'd also reccomend Patti Smith, Tori Amos, and if you're up to it, Nico. Her take on The Doors' The End off her album of the same name is terrifyingly beautiful and emotional, well worth a listen, although you'll probably either love it or hate it.

Aug 6, 2004 at 10:33 PM Post #90 of 103
Partly inspired by this thread I ended up buying Bachelor no. 2, Lost in Space and the Magnolia soundtrack by Aimee Mann.

I hadn't even heard of her before - even though I now realize I had heard her music in Magnolia. She's absolutely brilliant, especially Lost in Space is a classic. Highly recommended.

FYI, there's a BN2 & LIS double pack available pretty cheap (£8.99 Delivered) from Play.com which seems a good source for us Europeans. Not sure if the shipping further costs lots, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back