recommendations for female music?
Jun 23, 2004 at 12:02 PM Post #31 of 103
heather nova. if you like aimee mann you'll love her. try siren or oyster.

sophie zelmani. beautiful innocent swedish singer/songwriter with the voice of an angel.

gillian welch (a little country-ish, but so is jewel)
thea gilmore.

Jun 23, 2004 at 12:38 PM Post #32 of 103
Actually, for Loreena McKennitt I prefer Live in Paris and Toronto to Book of Secrets in the studio. But really good recommendation there.

I also second Tori
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2004 at 2:42 PM Post #33 of 103
if you like bjork and morcheeba, check out the ones that I recommended earlier... as well as hooverphonic and goldfrapp... I see someone else has recommended them, cant believe that I didnt think of them
eek.gif

if you find yourself liking this kind of stuff, give the following a try: esthero, halou, zero 7 [male vox as well here]

I would also like to recommend my favourite canadian band microbunny... its not all about the female vocals here... although they are good... this band is more about the beats... kind of like a more energetic brian eno... still laid back though [check them out at www.microbunny.com or read a review of their new album here]

Jun 23, 2004 at 2:51 PM Post #34 of 103
Everything But the Girl

Ben Watt and Tracey Thorn make great music and have a great story behind it. If you like their stuff, you can also check out a book that Ben Watt wrote about his struggle in life and how Tracey Thorn is so important to him.

Thorn's vocals make you quiver and Watt's production is amazing. Watt, part of a duo of house DJ's named Lazy Dog (now broken-up), produces music that flows perfectly with Thorn's vocals.

Check them out if you can - a good place to start would be "Like the Deserts Miss the Rain."

Jun 23, 2004 at 2:55 PM Post #35 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nexus6
Choirgirl is a decent enough album, no doubt, but for someone who's never experienced Tori before, I'd recommend starting with Under the Pink.

Choirgirl was my first introduction -- I think it gives a good sense of both her concrete Little Earthquakes style stuff and her more abstract later stuff.

Jun 24, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #36 of 103
What is female music? Female-based music doesn't help much either. Just teasing...

I highly recommend these first four:

Curve
Lennon
Auf Der Maur
Songs from the Witchblade (Kat Bjelland with various other artists, but usually found in the soundtracks)

...and strongly recommend these:

Tori Amos
Bjork
Lamb
Fiona Apple
Goldfrapp
Hooverphonic
Halou
Kate Bush
Nightwish
Within Temptation
Lush
Cocteau Twins
Portishead/Beth Gibbons
Aimee Mann
Martina Topley-Bird
Sara McLachlin (?sp) Quote:

Originally Posted by NacMacFeegle
Here's some more for you to try...
Natalie Merchant - both with 10,000 Maniacs and solo
Lisa Gerrard
Lisa Germano (got a Lisa thing going of late...)
and more votes for Kate Bush (where is she?) and the Cranes..

-Nac...

If you like Lisa Germano, you oughta try Lori Carson.

As for Kate, she's baking cookies. Can't find the story online, but there was a story that when asked what she was up to (meaning album), she invited the press and record executives over, and baked them cookies.

[size=xx-small]She must be extremely proud of that recipe.[/size]

Jun 27, 2004 at 1:56 PM Post #37 of 103
aimee mann - lost in space and tori amos - little earthquakes arrived today. so far i've only managed to have a in-depth listen to aimee. so how do i find it?

love at first listen. i love the way mann's razor wit comes out in her lyrics. i especailly enjoy tracks 'humpty dumpty' and 'today's the day'.
icon14.gif

i wouldnt be here without you all (sniff sniff
wink.gif
) thanks again all for the recommendations.
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2004 at 2:36 PM Post #38 of 103
Ah, Aimee is soooooo good. A consummate artist, fantastic musician, and phenomenal songwriter. It's even cooler that she's shunned the corporate music industry, gone independent, and as a result has been extremely successful while maintaining her artistic integrity. I had the privelege of seeing her at the 9:30 Club in Washington, D.C. last Saturday. She and her band were fantastic. She's one of those performers that truly seems to love being in front of an audience. She doesn't just take the stage and go through a 2 hour set. She improvises, solicits requests from the audience, jokes around, shares anecdotes, and seems to have a great time while doing it. She's playing a lot of small venues on her current tour. Don't pass up a chance to see her live.

Anyway, if you're enjoying her stuff I'd highly recommend picking up a copy of Lost in Space Special Edition. It includes a second disc of B-sides, unreleased material and five live tracks, one of which is a cover of Coldplay's "The Scientist".

By the way, she mentioned a new album at the show Saturday and played one tune from it that sounded very cool. She also said it was still very much in the works and joked about "it coming out, oh, eventually".

Jun 27, 2004 at 3:50 PM Post #39 of 103
wow your cds sure arrive fast eh?
icon10.gif

after you have finished digesting aimee mann and tori amos, maybe you would like to step into the world of bjork and portishead. eerie background music with beautiful vocals.

I recommend
Bjork - Homogenic. Try tracks like Bachelorette, Hunter and Unravel.
Portishead - Dummy. Try Road or It Could Be Sweet

Do not forget Hong Kong artistes too. I like Faye Wong's Tian Kong (Sky) album.

Jun 27, 2004 at 5:27 PM Post #41 of 103
I'll second that reccomendo for Portishead. Great band, although it's been a long time since they released anything. Along with Dummy, Portishead - Portishead and Portishead - Roseland NYC Live are excellent albums as well. Actually that's about their entire catalog.
lambda.gif

Jun 28, 2004 at 9:54 AM Post #44 of 103
Hi,

I can think of a few more, which haven't been mentioned yet:

Anja Garbarek
Addie Brik
Aya
Bic Runga
Die Happy
Edie Brickell
Jesse Sykes
Mary Timony
Silje Nergaard
Thea Gilmore

Cheers
Lukas

Jun 28, 2004 at 11:25 AM Post #45 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
I'll second that reccomendo for Portishead. Great band, although it's been a long time since they released anything. ...Actually that's about their entire catalog.

Beth Gibbons has a solo album out called "Out of Season". Excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back