Recommendations for computer speakers and possibly a dac. Any recommendations?
Nov 10, 2013 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

medex

New Head-Fier
Currently use my audio technica ATH-A900x headphones with the onboard sound card (Realtek ALC892). I use the onboard since my Xonar DX broke.  

I'd like to get a pair of speakers mainly for music, tv, movies and possibly some light gaming.  I really like my 900X headphones and will likely use them as my default.  Though sometimes I will want to use the speakers.  

I had considered getting a dac,  I was looking at the Audiengine 
D1.  

I was looking also at the audioengine A2+ which seems to have a build in dac.  The only issue would be where would I plug my headphones into? (Guess the RCA output).

Does anybody have any recommendations?  

Nov 10, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 8
What is your overall budget for DAC and speakers?

Maybe below $500 for all of it. Cheaper the better though. I had a bad run with audio-gd dac I bought a while ago. I honestly couldn't hear the difference between between it and the onboard soundcard or the xonar dx.  Even though many people said I would.  They have done a really good job as canceling out interference these days within the computer.

Nov 10, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #4 of 8
Yeah. DACs often give the least amount of SQ improvement. Given the DX is considered to be pretty good (I have the D1 in a computer), not that surprised :)

If you use the Dolby Headphone feature with your DX, you'll lose that with a USB DAC. Why not sell your DX, then, and get an STX? It has outputs for both headphones and speakers.

The Audioengine A2 are small driver speakers, and as the measurements from Stereophile show, they have a boosted amp that pushes up the upper midbass, and then they roll off very quickly. So you won't get much lower midbass out of them. The A2+s have the same frequency response range rating as the A2 by Audioengine, so doubtful they will be any better given the small driver (and the fact that Audioengine lied before about the frequency response of the A2s.).

I like the Emotiva Airmotiv 4. I used to own the A900X that you have, and I think anyone that likes their sound signature would probably like the Airmotivs.

Dec 7, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #5 of 8
Yeah. DACs often give the least amount of SQ improvement. Given the DX is considered to be pretty good (I have the D1 in a computer), not that surprised
smily_headphones1.gif

If you use the Dolby Headphone feature with your DX, you'll lose that with a USB DAC. Why not sell your DX, then, and get an STX? It has outputs for both headphones and speakers.

The Audioengine A2 are small driver speakers, and as the measurements from Stereophile show, they have a boosted amp that pushes up the upper midbass, and then they roll off very quickly. So you won't get much lower midbass out of them. The A2+s have the same frequency response range rating as the A2 by Audioengine, so doubtful they will be any better given the small driver (and the fact that Audioengine lied before about the frequency response of the A2s.).

I like the Emotiva Airmotiv 4. I used to own the A900X that you have, and I think anyone that likes their sound signature would probably like the Airmotivs.

These look great but I can't find them anywhere.  Any ideas?

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #8 of 8
  Yes if they are the only people who sell them then they are sold out.

They're worth the wait. I just got mine in yesterday, and I only have one word to describe them, "Wow". Though the Audioengine A5+, M-Audio BX5, or KRK's are all pretty decent.

With your leftover budget, you could definitely get a D1, or even a Fiio E10.

Make sure you get some stands or isolation pads for whichever speakers you decide to get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back