Recommendations for budget all-around IEMs with good comfort and isolation?
Apr 5, 2011 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kniah

New Head-Fier
Hi All- I picked up a pair of Beyer DT880s a few months ago and am enjoying them immensely. Needless to say, the cheap headphones I use in the office and when traveling could use an upgrade. I'm looking for recommendations for good all-around IEMs (I listen to anything from rock, classical, jazz, techno, acoustic, alternative) that are comfortable, isolate well, and relatively inexpensive (shooting for under $30USD if possible). Durability is also a plus and I wouldn't mind a little extra bass. I will be using these primarily with my laptop (IBM Thinkpad).

I did a quick search and the MEElectronics M6 and M9 seem to be pretty highly recommended is this price range (what are the differences in sound quality between the two?). Any other recommendations for good price/performance IEMs that fit the bill would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 8
Are you sure you can afford the isolation of IEMs at work?

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Hi All- I picked up a pair of Beyer DT880s a few months ago and am enjoying them immensely. Needless to say, the cheap headphones I use in the office and when traveling could use an upgrade. I'm looking for recommendations for good all-around IEMs (I listen to anything from rock, classical, jazz, techno, acoustic, alternative) that are comfortable, isolate well, and relatively inexpensive (shooting for under $30USD if possible). Durability is also a plus and I wouldn't mind a little extra bass. I will be using these primarily with my laptop (IBM Thinkpad).

I did a quick search and the MEElectronics M6 and M9 seem to be pretty highly recommended is this price range (what are the differences in sound quality between the two?). Any other recommendations for good price/performance IEMs that fit the bill would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Someone recently gave my girlfriend a pair of earphones called "Sentry Microbuds."  She's got a pair of Shure SE210s though, so didn't actually ever open them.  The other day my old Shures died, and until I figure out whether or not I want to buy Shure SE215s or shell out the cash for the 535s, I decided to use these "Sentry Microbuds."  

Anyway, these things aren't great, or even good, but they provide adequate isolation for a quiet library/office type environment and the sound is clear enough with a good amount of bass.

I just googled them and Amazon has a pair for $7.99.  These might just be one of the best earphones under $30.

However, if you can get together another $70-$100, you might want to check out Shure SE215 and Westone T1.

Apr 6, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Someone recently gave my girlfriend a pair of earphones called "Sentry Microbuds."  She's got a pair of Shure SE210s though, so didn't actually ever open them.  The other day my old Shures died, and until I figure out whether or not I want to buy Shure SE215s or shell out the cash for the 535s, I decided to use these "Sentry Microbuds."  

Anyway, these things aren't great, or even good, but they provide adequate isolation for a quiet library/office type environment and the sound is clear enough with a good amount of bass.

I just googled them and Amazon has a pair for $7.99.  These might just be one of the best earphones under $30.

However, if you can get together another $70-$100, you might want to check out Shure SE215 and Westone T1.

Thanks for the recommendation. Can you compare the Sentry Microbuds to any other sub $30 IEMs?

Apr 6, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 8
the m6's are awesome for the price and isolate well...over the ear fit can be a little aggravating if you're in a situation where you have to take them out and put them back in a lot.  I have the m9's as well and to me they didn't sound nearly as good...but then my cat chewed the cord so its hard to compare now :wink:  Another cheap IEM I would recommend is the brainwavz m1...good sound, very comfy, medium isolation.  Soundmagic PL50 might be another option...very very comfy, good sound, good isolation.

but the m6's are a steal at the price if you're ok with the design, plus if you have an iphone you can get the m6p that has mic and controls

Users who are viewing this thread

Back