Recommendations for $50 IEMs
Jul 30, 2019 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MooTaters

100+ Head-Fier
So I bit the bullet on the release of the Massdrop x Hifiman Bolt, and I might have been one of the absolute few who actually liked it. Anyways this really isn't about what so much of the people out there hate about the Bolt, it's a starting point for what I'm looking for. I'm trying to find something similar at $50 or less, with the strong bass that the Bolt has as lately I mainly listen to a lot of electronic music. Also the tangle free cable, some form of in-line controls that supports android , and it would be a plus if it has a small footprint or at least is comfortable to wear even if you're laying one ear on a pillow...though that may be asking a smidge much. Noise isolation isn't an absolute key point as most will isolate to some extent, but I'm not looking for anything open either. I also have the Visang R03's(aka brainwavz m2), though they're dying, and while I liked the clarity, I was never a fan of the dark coloration of sound.

I've tried to do some looking around myself, and yes I know of Joker's IEM thread/site and am looking through some of it...though at this point there are many which are discontinued. Of course I will still listen to suggestions that may not hit every point, but I hope there's enough out there by now that it's not too much of an issue. I guess I should add that durability would be a plus too as I'm likely to toss it in my pocket with my phone as I do currently with the Bolts...part of the reason a tangle free cable is something I'd prefer(cases are nice, but take up a fair bit of pocket space).

Jul 30, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 7
Hi I would recommend the KZ ZS10 Pro. I think it's about 35 USDish on Aliexpress, V shaped profile with nice treble/bass and nice instrument separation/clarity. There is a Pro version and original version, the Pro is much better in almost all areas.
It doesn't do much wrong at the price and is a great all rounder. Maybe a slight complaint is that at the treble frequencies, some instruments sound a bit artificial.

If u prefer slightly more bass, then some people are using the KZ ZS7, but I personally don't have it.

Hope u find what u are looking for!

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the recommendations, I have looked at some KZ stuff, wasn't sure how they all sounded though I'd heard good things, and might consider them...but as said the profile/size may be a bit much. Part of the problem is I'm often carrying a 10k mAh battery pack for my phone, so pocket space is a bit more limited.

Aug 2, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 7
I use sony mdr-ex110 all the time and they meet your qualifications except for the tangle free cable, plus they're only $20 on amazon right now. There are reviews saying they are not durable, well I've had mine for 5 years and I throw them in a backpack pouch with no case and mine still work fine. Anecdotes are like assholes, everyone has one.

Aug 4, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 7
I use sony mdr-ex110 all the time and they meet your qualifications except for the tangle free cable, plus they're only $20 on amazon right now. There are reviews saying they are not durable, well I've had mine for 5 years and I throw them in a backpack pouch with no case and mine still work fine. Anecdotes are like assholes, everyone has one.
I've had a pair for years now. I bought them at Target on clearance for like $14. Bass is actually pretty damn good, treble is a bit too much for me though. Great backup/beater pair.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #7 of 7
Time to post in a 3 year old thread yay.

About a year ago I got my hands on EX15 (mom found it on the ground somewhere and they sounded decent but the tips were a size too small).

Then i purchased a unit myself but every unit (I tried and returned 4, one separately, one where I bought three in bulk) had a fairly noticeable channel imbalance between 1 to 2dB.

Yesterday I went to a store not too far away to exchange them (I had a credit note because I returned 3 pairs) and I went with EX155 and EX110.

These are both god-awful but everything can be solved with EQ, especially as these have better channel balance, 110 especially is perfect.

I have two pairs of good headphones and 3 good IEMs but I'll be selling most of it and to be honest with apps like Wavelet allowing for custom AutoEQ presets and gear like Qudelix 5k with a 10 band parametric EQ all that matters is good channel balance.

But the impression I get, whoever was tuning these 25 euro earphones basically covered everything from 20 to like 500hz in way too much bass and then tried to compensate by increasing highs so these are really bad.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back